Bigender Genesis vs Gender Bias

AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
edited July 2016 in The Commons

It's been a few years now, and I wanted to know if I'm alone in missing Genesis because it was Bigender? I think with Genesis being gender based. It has made making UV's, poses, Clothing, Bend Helpers, Morphs, clones, hair, materials, shaders,  and basicly everything about 3D a hassle to deal with, both for the users and the content creaters alike, especially if your creative... Agree, or disagree?

Post edited by Angel on

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,633

genesis was faster in setting up characters because of the lack of gender, BUT it also lacked in detail from what we now have with gender specific meshes. I also remember reading alot of threads on how vendors preferred the specific genders since it was less work and they could focus on attention to detail more. When it comes to clothing, texture and morph support these days, I think back when I used V4 and there were so few options compared to what we have now.

I was a huge genesis 1 supporter and was a bit crushed with genesis 2 came out, but I LOVE working with genesis 3 and when I see both side by side I can see a huge difference and can't imagine going backwards. I reload lots of my old genesis 1 scenes and rework them with genesis 3 and iray now.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,569
    edited July 2016

Pa's say it is easier since the gender split which was why it is done. 

I personally prefer a genderless base, but I don't like to have to buy say two versions of the same outfit and figure morphs, which both genders should be able to wear and use. (eye shapes for example).

Also Genesis 2/3 male still seems to have been based on the female version as some of the bodyparts are feminine and based on the geometry  so I would imagine the only figure to benefit from the split is the female. The guys don't seem to have benefited too much from the split.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,881
    edited July 2016

The reason its more difficult to make stuff for Genesis is because of all the tech under the hood that makes it work for both genders.  Basically stuff can get in the way of other stuff working right on specific shapes.  Also, fewer gender specific clothing was made due to the base not looking female or male.

As a user, I prefer the gender split because I found Genesis so over crowded with morphs and shapes that I could not find anything and could not always remember if the morph I was dialing in was male or female. 

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,907

I prefer it unified, but then I have GenX2 and other stuff to 'push' one into the other, so hey.

• GenX2 has really gone a ways in making the transition to Genesis 3 a lot less painful and easier to swallow, IMHO. It's not completely perfect, but being able to transfer over creature morphs from the Genesis era is a huge plus in the right direction.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,907

I really should see how well SD aging morphs work in Genesis 3. Hmm.

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

I think Genesis big ender, sorry, bi-gender feature is at its best when rendering nonhumans.  You can make a whole family of Mama Minotaur, Papa Minotaur, and Junior Minotaur from a single figure, which is pretty neat.  With nonhumans, the details of the figure become less important.