iray newbie comprehending light/shadow woes? mdl, newly properties

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited July 2016 in The Commons

iray newbie light woes, ignores spot/point lights?

my first iray experience, woes!!

bought the cafe luca, eager to render coffee

so the first woe, preview window dark. can only see flashing orange.
for fun hit render (i no haz nvidia)
i see light in the grains
canceled it.

added a ds default light to shine on the lattes and cookies. hit render

it looks like iray is ignoring DS light??

where are the iray point/spot lights?

thanks for any insight.

Post edited by Mistara on

Comments

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,286

Yes, iRay should ignore the 3DL lights if it working properly.  I would reccomend starting with creating a new light (point, distant or spot light), make sure that photometric mode is on, temperature and intensity are what you like. You can sort of convert 3dl lights that way but it is unpredictable since the initial settings are so different.  Next go to Youtube or look through forum to lean about the environmental settings and HDRI (this is where iRay and Luxrender shine).  Next, you may find yourself buying light sets right and left as you see that iRay is a bit closer to the way that conventional cameras work rather than the more painterly 3dl lights.  

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,049

Change the settings in Tone Mapping for an indoor scene and try again. Drop the Shutter Speed to 60 and raise the Film ISO to 400.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,447

Fishtales is right.

Default light settings and default Tone Mapping settings do not get along.

You could also turn up the lumens on the light as that is less computationally expensive.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

lumens the trick?

what about the light fall off range?
    soften shadows as the spotlight fades around the coffee cups?

thanks.

i dont see any iray spotlight in  the ds default lights folder, would think it should be included with ds

watched some utoob tutt, so far learned camera headlamp  and dome is automatic, to have control of lighting, change the dome to scene lights.

seems like, in the case of the darkness in cafe luca, somehow make the camera headlamp stay on,
    but can i make it stay on in preview window, but not render the camera headlamp light?

if i had a nvidia card, would i see the iray light in document preview window?

thanks.

coffee/esspresso art is one of my favesheart.  only thing force me to learn iray, lol
    javajavajava

are soft shadows and falloff areas possible with iray lights?   thanks!!!

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    MistyMist said:
    i dont see any iray spotlight in  the ds default lights folder, would think it should be included with ds

The D|S default lights are the Iray lights — the parameters should switch automatically, turning on Photometric Mode, depending on which rendering mode you're in.

oh, i have to change photometric manually?

thanks!!

and lumens, intensity, and tone mapping

but the biggest question, can do dramatc lighting with iray?

all i seen is white iray renders, what about shadows?

• MistyMist said:

are soft shadows and falloff areas possible with iray lights?   thanks!!!

Distance falloff is controlled by physics, all lights (ex ept distant lights) do it. For soft shadows use the Light parameters to give the light geometry other than a point - the larger the shape the softer the shadows.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

Misty,

These should help you to learn to use the Iray Uber surface

http://dordiales.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Iray-578591695

http://dordiales.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Iray-02-581877697

If you are doing an indoor scene and you want soft lighting, use a primative plane and apply the iray uber surface to it.  Then set the emission colour to white.  Change the lighting type to Lumens.  Its the easiest to use as its when the lighting output of your household lights are mesured by.

Light fall off and shadows are done automatically.  Dramatic lighitng will be dependant on you to either learn how to set it up yourself or find sets of lights to do it for you like this one - http://www.daz3d.com/idg-portrait-studio-2

thanks

was wondering what the possibilities were before deciding

automatic lighting, doesnt sound much fun

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,286

Having gone from 3Delight to iRay and dabbling in both, my own experience is that iRay is much more physics based so a whole lot more fun and predictable when you understand the basics.  3Delight now seems a bit more "magical" where you don't light a room the way you would do it in real life. Both have their pluses and minuses but I highly recommend that you learn each on their own terms rather than try to leverage how something works in one rendering engine as the way it should work in the other.  

nemesis10 said:

Having gone from 3Delight to iRay and dabbling in both, my own experience is that iRay is much more physics based so a whole lot more fun and predictable when you understand the basics.  3Delight now seems a bit more "magical" where you don't light a room the way you would do it in real life. Both have their pluses and minuses but I highly recommend that you learn each on their own terms rather than try to leverage how something works in one rendering engine as the way it should work in the other.  

thanks.  

not totally giving up on the iray, but learned the hard way not a render i can whip out in a weekend.  lol

is gonna take weeks of light & shadow study   to put a spotlight on those coffee cups

know more today than last night

mdl is new in the shade mixer

is this inside the matrix?  lol

cant see what this is doing?

bunch of new properties. like cutout opacity.  some new for smoothing.

the user guide link http://www.daz3d.com/dsportal/user_guide_action
    goes to 4.6 user guide.  need one for 4.8, significant differences  lol

is this the matrix.JPG
    1144 x 654 - 68K
    whatdoesthisdo.JPG
    155 x 258 - 15K
    new properties under surfaces.JPG
    335 x 358 - 29K
    whats cutout opacity.JPG
    319 x 105 - 15K
  • j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

The create advanced properties script enables some stuff in the parameters tab, once you apply it they will show up under parameters>display>rendering. Mainly an option to "Enable Iray Matte" which you can turn on to make the object a matte object (make the object cut through to the background) There's also Iray handle, but I honestly don't know what that one does.

In any case it doesn't effect the shader mixer that I know.

edited July 2016

haven't found iray handle?

ise still fuzzy on the MDL.  i don't have nvidia, but sounds like MDL specific to nvidia.
    There's prolly nothing out there to explain the mdl bricks?

https://developer.nvidia.com/mdl-sdk

this looks more interesting http://mdlhandbook.com/mdl_handbook/index.html

Post edited by Mistara on