Packaging a Prop

astu11astu11 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hey everyone, having some trouble. I've been in 3D for a couple of years but am new to Daz and I've been really impressed with everything!

Anyway, I can create my own props, import them, assign my materials, parent them, etc., but I can't for the life of me figure out how to package them up so that they can be sent and shared. There are a couple of tutorials in the Daz documentation online, but to be honest they are incomplete and not at all helpful.

If anyone could help me out or point me to a tutorial I'd really appreciate it.

Also, is there a way I can make prop creation quicker by using a "template", i.e. taking the default dragon slayer katana and changing parameters so that I can replace the katana with my own sword?

Again I appreciate any help I can get here, thanks!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,823
    edited December 1969

The first questions would be do you want the prop to be usable in Poser? In older versions of DS? and if so what version are you using?

• astu11astu11 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the reply!

Sure, I wouldn't see why I wouldn't want Poser/older DS functionality, even if that complicates things a bit (just guessing here).

And I'm using DS4.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I assume you are creating in Obj format. Do you UV the items as well so they take Texture files? I know a bit about props such as packaging, converting to a Poser pp2 that DS and Poser can use and Smart propping for V4, M4, and Genesis.

edited October 2012

Try this script http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=127437 - you would also need to include materials presets for DAZ Studio, in .dsa format (File>Save as>Deprecated in DS 4).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

Richard your link is broke.

edited December 1969

oops, fixed it.

edited December 1969

Yep that's the one I use as well.

• astu11astu11 Posts: 0
    edited October 2012

Thanks for the help, guys. That script looks like a real time saver too! I'll post again if I need more help, but thanks again.

Post edited by astu11 on