Dud tutorials

oldblockoldblock Posts: 99
edited December 1969 in New Users

As a DS4.5 newbie I'm struggling with obsolete tutorials, 4.5 help takes me to version 3 tutes and the content doesn't match the new version. As I'm having trouble getting purchased content to perform properly I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong and I need to do some more learning but finding relevant help is proving difficult. Can anyone point me to up to date tutorials?

Ray

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

There are several tutorials stickied at the top of this forum, are none of them giving you what you want? They are the threads with the yellow diamond symbol.

This is the documentation page : http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/getting_started/start

If you need help installing content, just ask in here, that is what this forum is for. Just tell us what OS you are using, and what items you are trying to install/find, and I'm sure we can help.

• oldblockoldblock Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

Many thanks, I now have some reading to do which hopefully enable me to solve my problem. I purchased Sadie and Sam for Genesis which appeared to work satisfactorily in my early trials, this led me to purchase SadieFae which is a Fairy model for use with Sadie. This is where my problems started as the files don't install properly. Having had two or three goes at reinstalling I figured I probably messed up the original installation and DS4 is getting confused. So my best bet is to uninstall everything and start again. I'm a bit concerned that there may be some stuff left after the uninstall, is this possible?

edited October 2012

SadieFae is a set of clothing for Toon Girl Sadie, and there are two files to install according to the Product Page. One contains the models themselves, and Poser textures, the other contains only materials that have been optimised for DAZ Studio.

The Poser ones, you should find under Poser Formats in the Content Library, in My Library > Figures.

You say you bought Sadie and Sam? Was that this one http://www.daz3d.com/shop/sadie-and-sam-for-genesis.

If so, these are morphs for Genesis, and not the standalone Sadie figure that is required for SadieFae. The Sadie figure that is required for this is this one http://www.daz3d.com/shop/3d-universe-toon-girl-sadie, and it does not work with Genesis at all.

You can send a ticket to Support, and ask for a refund, which you will get with no problem.

I can see how this would be very confusing to most new users. I bought Sadie years ago when it first came out, but I also bought the Genesis morph versions as as well as they are much more versatile, and can use clothing from other toon models or even V4 using the Autofit plugin.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

SadieFae is a set of clothing for Toon Girl Sadie, and there are two files to install according to the Product Page. One contains the models themselves, and Poser textures, the other contains only materials that have been optimised for DAZ Studio.

The Poser ones, you should find under Poser Formats in the Content Library, in My Library > Figures.

You say you bought Sadie and Sam? Was that this one http://www.daz3d.com/shop/sadie-and-sam-for-genesis.

If so, these are morphs for Genesis, and not the standalone Sadie figure that is required for SadieFae. The Sadie figure that is required for this is this one http://www.daz3d.com/shop/3d-universe-toon-girl-sadie, and it does not work with Genesis at all.

You can send a ticket to Support, and ask for a refund, which you will get with no problem.

I can see how this would be very confusing to most new users. I bought Sadie years ago when it first came out, but I also bought the Genesis morph versions as as well as they are much more versatile, and can use clothing from other toon models or even V4 using the Autofit plugin.

I think that Sadie and Sam for Genesis come with an autofit clone so that the original Sadie clothing can be autofitted to Genesis.

edited December 1969

You are absolutely right scorpio64dragon, I had forgotten about that, thank you.

@oldblock
    You should be able to use these with the Genesis Sadie, as scorpio says using the Autofit plugin.

See how you get on :)

edited December 1969

Thanks Guys,

The Sadie identity mixup has solved everything, well nearly everything, I'm sure there will be some more hurdles to jump over.

Ray

edited December 1969

I posted an earlier thread about dud tutes and for a while it looked like the help from you guys was going to solve my problems but it didn't last. Going to Daz 4x etc has led me to a whole bunch of stuff for other software or out of date Daz stuff or Sorry can't find what your looking for messages.
    I'm sure you guys mean well but I have to say Daz 3D has to be the most confusing software house I have ever come across since the early DOS days.
    DS4 looks good so I guess I'll just have to settle for the muddle and persevere. I suppose it's not so bad once you know what to expect.

Ray

• DarkLurkerDarkLurker Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This (out dated tutorials) was/is a problem I'm experiencing as well.

There has to be a marketing opportunity here. I know I would buy a 'How to Use Daz Studio 4.5' book if a half-decent version was on sale. At the moment I know just enough to realise how little I actually know. Looking at the options, utilities, etc. in Daz Studio, I don't have any idea what more than half of them actually do! I read posts on these forums, see posted renders, and stand in utter awe of what some people are achieving. And while there are tutorials on the web, many are for prior versions of Daz Studio, and the others vary in the level of knowledge assumed to be possessed by the reader/viewer. Eventually, I hope, I'll pick up what I need to know - but how much easier if there was an progressive set of tutorial information I could follow one by one.