-
Why Genesis 9 JCMs are so unrealistic ?
GhostofMacbeth said:
I think it also might be the fact that people zero figure and break the JCMs rather than restore figure which just turns off morphs and poses
Yes, Mada was the first person I saw pointing this out, but it was easy for me to forget because Zero Figure does not break JCMs on Genesis 8 or 3 or 2 or any other generation I can remember. Unfortunately, this is a hidden thing that no one would know unless they were told or they trial and errored their way into it, much like the Eyes Pupil Dilate morph control being put in Posing rather than Shaping where it's always been.
Why Genesis 9 JCMs are so unrealistic ?Mendoman said:
Oh boy, that G9 thigh bend looks bad in the OP. Out of curiosity, is that the base G9 or some imported G8 -> G9 character? I remember when I back in the day imported my G3 characters to G8, I had similar problems with those imported characters.
It's a screenshot from Victoria 9 without any other morph :)
I didn't show my imported characters (from 8 to 9), because it's yet worst than V9 :D
Why Genesis 9 JCMs are so unrealistic ?If it's down to the pose convertor introducing possible problems, could I ask if there is a difference between pose convertors?
There are two freebie pose convertors that I know of and at least one paid-for convertor. Is it possible to see if any give better or worse results in certain circumstances, or are better at converting certain poses? I don't have and paid for convertors, but if someone could try one or more, it'd be of interest. The convertors I know of are:
- Riversoft Art's Bone Minion, an incredibly clever idea: https://www.daz3d.com/bone-minion-for-genesis-8-and-81-poses-for-genesis-9
- n_alexandru's freebie pose convertor: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/605941/genesis-1-2-3-8-9-to-genesis-3-8-9-pose-converter
- Richardandtracy's freebie Pose Transfer https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/598316/g8f-m-pose-transfer-to-g9 (Needs to have the pose applied to G8 and then tranfers it to G9 which can be irritating)
Then we can see if any of the oddities are actually an aretefact of the pose conversion or maybe it really is down to the base figure. I must declare my interest - I wrote script #3 and as far as I could see during testing there was very little distortion of G9 after the pose was transferred. I may have missed something, as I really didn't see some of the effects in the images above. As I wrote the convertor I had a G8 figure and V9 on the screen and tried to ensure the two matched as closely as possible after the pose transfer. I wrote the code starting with the figure's core and worked outward to the extremities limb by linb, digit by digit. I do hope I didn't miss dodgy joints like that.
Regards,
Richard.
Why Genesis 9 JCMs are so unrealistic ?I can't match the bends shown in the first post, but if I zero the figure the thigh bend is certainly worse than if I apply the bend straight. Try Edit>Figure>Restore Figure, then apply any morph you were using and the bend.
Daz Crashing And Rebooting My ComputerSnow said:
I highly doubt it's because you are low on RAM. It would just transfer the load to cpu and hard drive.
Running out of RAM can also cause crashing, DS can use virtual memory on ones drive, but how well it works or if it crashes immediately, depends on how the user has set the settings for virtual memory.
I think the default for virtual memory is the amount of installed RAM, and it isn't that hard to fill up 64GB's with DS
Why Genesis 9 JCMs are so unrealistic ?HighElf said:
kervala said:
nakamuram002 said:
On Nov 16, 2022, I submitted a Service Ticket regarding G9F's shin, thigh, and elbow bending deficiencies (there are probably others, but those were obvious and a good place to start). So far, no word on my Ticket. I will not use G9F unless it is equal or superior to G8F in basic joint bending - I do not want a model that is only good for portraits. Maybe it is better if DAZ leaves G9F the way it is, that way I will not have to spend any $$$ on it.
These are the bend shots that I submitted with my Ticket. In each shot, G8 is on the left and G9 is on the right.
Yep, I agree with you. I could understand they wouldn't create JCMs for Genesis 9 base, but for official sold characters such as Victoria 9...
Btw I uploaded my screenshots on my server and put a link to them in my first post :)
I think I'll have to create my own JCMs for G9 :(
What does JCM stand for, and how do you do that? I have generally trouble creating morphs and such in Blender. For some reason, the scaling goes nuts in DAZ when I reimport with the morph loader.
JCM stands for Joint Corrective Morphs, they are morphs that are applied to fix the deformations when some members are rotated, some of them are more realistic than other ones.
Zev0 even improved them for Genesis 8 (see https://www.daz3d.com/bend-control-for-genesis-8-female-s-46267) but there are not yet equivalent for G9 :(
When you import with Morph Loader Pro, are you sure you have "Reverse Deformations" on ? It should revert the pose and other morphs you enabled :)
Gen 8 hands?Muscularity (male/female) is probably the most detailed muscle morph package and gives you very granular control over individual muscles, including in the hand.
Import body morphs from DAZ Studio to BlenderThe geometry must be the same for morphs to work. You can't morph among different geometries. But you can try shrinkwrap then bake.
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/modeling/modifiers/deform/shrinkwrap.html
Why Genesis 9 JCMs are so unrealistic ?kervala said:
nakamuram002 said:
On Nov 16, 2022, I submitted a Service Ticket regarding G9F's shin, thigh, and elbow bending deficiencies (there are probably others, but those were obvious and a good place to start). So far, no word on my Ticket. I will not use G9F unless it is equal or superior to G8F in basic joint bending - I do not want a model that is only good for portraits. Maybe it is better if DAZ leaves G9F the way it is, that way I will not have to spend any $$$ on it.
These are the bend shots that I submitted with my Ticket. In each shot, G8 is on the left and G9 is on the right.
Yep, I agree with you. I could understand they wouldn't create JCMs for Genesis 9 base, but for official sold characters such as Victoria 9...
Btw I uploaded my screenshots on my server and put a link to them in my first post :)
I think I'll have to create my own JCMs for G9 :(
What does JCM stand for, and how do you do that? I have generally trouble creating morphs and such in Blender. For some reason, the scaling goes nuts in DAZ when I reimport with the morph loader.
Cleaning up face transfersIn your image editor, using a 'copy' of another skin set that comes close to matching the skin tones, replace sections of that set with sections of the face transfer image you want to keep.
Duplicate Formulas IdeaI admit to having made a mess as I have a bunch of characters and morph sets and no I did not go through them one by one to carefully make sure that they were not problematic products. I have felt like it is just an aspect of my use of DAZ studio that I have to load models and wait for the duplicate formula error to appear and just use daz despite this annoying error. That's how much I enjoy using DAZ as a platform.
Again though even if no one wanted to fix this error one way or another does anyone know of a resoource where there might be a duplicate formula suspect list might be or maybe we should start one? For example in my looking through the forums I have come across Alice as being one of these suspects as well but as you've pointed out if I were to fix Alice that would not rid me of my messs of duplicate formulas.
Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - ongoing threadbluejaunte said:
galien said:
marcus.ames said:
galien said:
marcus.ames said:
Bluejaunte's back on top of their game with Tyler, too.
I like the character, but I've opened a support ticket as the eyeball's tend to poke through the lower eyelid when simple expressions are applied.
Lyra/Young Lyra have the same issue, and before knowing I can do something like a support ticket, I always compensated by scaling the eyes down 3.5%. But yeah, I noticed the same after posing her a bit. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for confirming that you also have this issue.
For Tyler, the best solution I have found is to set the hidden Eyes morph "Eye Whole Size" back to zero. When the character loads this is set to an increase of 20% (I don't understand why).
This is simply me fitting the eyeball to the eye socket. It's always a compromise, do I fit the socket to the eye or the eye to the socket. Probably a combination of both in the end, whatever I feel looks the way I want. Scaling down eye socket is going to make the eyes smaller compared to the rest of the face so this may not be what I want.
As for eyes poking through with some expressions: I just tested with some V9 expressions and indeed I get quite strong poke through with some. I'm so sorry for that, though I'm not sure I can fix this short of making JCM's which I can obviously not do for all expressions ever released. If Lyra had this too I can assume this is because both characters are a bit more goggle-eyed, I think is the word? but I'm sure it's also just a general eye socket shape issue. Naturally we don't want every character to have the same eye socket. Occasional issues with some expressions can be expected I think.
Anyway, with the eyes being separate geometry now the fix is pretty easy. Simply select an eye in the scene, or say "Left Eye" in the Scene tab (not the Genesis 9 Eyes item), then move it around as you would any object. With a somewhat extreme expression it hopefully won't be noticable that the eye is now technically in the wrong place. Case by case I guess.
So bug report landed on my desk. It turns out part of the problem was just bad rigging of the eyeballs so I fixed that. Some expressions still gave poke though so i created JCM for both G9 and V9 expressions. That means the face did not change, which was important to me. Only when expressions are dialed in. With those problematic ones the eye sockets are so distorted that you won't notice anyway. I just submitted the update.
Duplicate Formulas IdeaDS doesn't care what the DSF files are called, just so long as you don't have two in the same folder with the same name, it's the internal asset IDs that DS cares about, they have to be unique to the figure.
Your average character for G8F has around 1600 formula in the DSF files, roughly 950 in the body morph, around 550 in the head morph, and a few others spread through controllers, JCMs and correctives.
You also have asset calls in the DUF files that need to be changed to match the changes in the DSF files.
Takes me longer to uncompress the files and dig though all of the files in a product, than it does to actually do the editing, but then I've been doing it for several years and know what I'm doing.
The problem is most don't think like coders or old school game modders, they've never had to think about coding conflicts, or how big a mess they can make when you do get them, been there, got the t-shirt, and got a lot of wannabe modders butt hurt with me for slapping them down for the mess they made of their mods.
Now a recent DF issue for G8F was due to a simply named asset ID of "alice body", if I had done that character the asset ID would have been "FBM_Bejaymac_G8F_Alice_01", the difference is in the mindset and the workflow.
Tutorial Suggestions Requested for Rigging/Fitting old Dynamic ClothingI'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
I have the Dynamic clothing that was made for M4 in my library, and I'd like to be able to use them as DForce garments on G8/8.1M.
https://www.daz3d.com/ds-dynamic-dress-shirt-for-m4
https://www.daz3d.com/m4-dynamic-polo-shirt
https://www.daz3d.com/m4-dynamic-t-shirt
I've had good luck with adjusting the materials settings to simulate via dForce, these garments don't play well with utilities to transfer clothing from M4 for use on G8. I'm thinking I can either re-rig or change the rigging to match up with G8M, but I don't know where to begin with that.
Can anyone recommend a video tutorial I can follow?
Cleaning up face transfersGot a quick question. It's not about a bug. I've been working with the Face Transfer program for a while and I need some help cleaning up some of the faces. Some of the images have hair shadows on the cheeks that I would like to remove and make the face clear. Another have bangs above the eyes I can't remove. I tried using Photoshop CS6 to clean it up but I just cant get it right. Any artists out there know what I need to do? Thanks in advance.
DAZ Horse 3 - will there actually be any support this time?Cerrag said:
I'd love to see a new mermaid horse with an assortment of realistic fish tail's myself! Or any kind of weird or mythological horse creatures. That'd be cool imo and I'd buy them lol!!
I love the Capricorn figure, but wish it had been a morph for DH2 plus a geograft tail.
One vertex in an attachment is not moving when morphedI'm only taking a wild guess here.
Maybe you are having the same problem I often have with rouge vertices not complying with a rigging motion or a morph.
It might be the same issue if you are using Blender to make your attachment.
I've never tried to make an attachment. I make rigged hard surface models only, so far.
But I have problems getting Blender to assign verticies to the correct vertex groups in a way that Daz Studio will follow, such that I often have the problem of vertices ignoring motions or morphs that are supposed to move them.
Well, I was using Blender 2.79. And maybe the problem is much reduced in later versions. But if my problem seems to you similar enough to yours, feel free to look at my forum post about it.
https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/567086/blender-to-daz-rigging-problem-spikes#latest
Import body morphs from DAZ Studio to Blender3WC said:
Yes, that would do it. A Genesis 3 morph won't work on Genesis 8.
I tried to import a Genesis 3 Female DSF but it's the same thing, it still doesn't work..
Import body morphs from DAZ Studio to BlenderYes, that would do it. A Genesis 3 morph won't work on Genesis 8.
Cute Bob Hair Strange BehaviorThanks, I was having this issue as well. Very curious about why this happened
Redz said:
Hi Darkrepast. Sorry you’re having issues with the hair. I’ve had a look and it’s an errant rigidity group that is clashing with some head morphs and causing this problem. I have no clue how this happened or how it escaped my attention, but I do know how to fix it. A product update may take some time, so if you prefer a DIY fix, I can give you a guide to explain how to delete the rigidity group. With the hairs (not the cap) selected in the scene tab, go to Tool Settings - Geometry Editor and choose Vertex Selection from the options near the top of the geometry editor pane. You will see a list of rigidity groups. Right click on the bottom group, named R7, and choose remove the selected group. If you already have your character morph applied then you will need to perform one more step before you see the fix. With the hair still selected in the scene tab, go to the dropdown menu at the top right of the scene tab and choose Assets - Clear Generated Morphs. Hopefully your hair will now play nice with the character morph.














