-
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settings
Richard Haseltine said:
You don't need to calculate the scales - just use 1 in Blender, save a preset (if you aren't using an existing one) in the OBJ Export dialogue in DS, and make sure you use the same preset on import or morph loading - DS will then handle all the needed adjustments for you.
If you arent using an existing preset, i think you will have to save the Export preset and then also have saved a corresponding Import preset for it separately.
But thats only if you are using custom preset. I guess there are already so many existing default presets where 1 unit = 1m (e.g., the 3DSMax one), so no need to make a custom one for Blender anyway
GoZ, ZBrush, DAZ StudioI've been trying to get GoZ to work ever since I upgraded to DS 4.21 last fall. BLUF is the transition changes the characters topology, So when I "GoZ" back to DS from ZBrush, it loads a new, 2nd version of the character, not a morph. The new version has a different geometry, so none of the materials or morphs for the character I was trying to morph on ZBrush will work.
Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.22.0.15! (*UPDATED*)takezo_3001 said:
I have to disagree with ya there, as I heavily use puppeteer to essentially store entire scenes worth of poses, light setups, and props/scene elements, puppeteer is much, much more useful than one would think, or have the patience for…
I mean, there are a LOT of cool settings within studio, just crack it open and take a look, and experiment with it more if they're able that is…
But then again, I put an extraordinary amount of time tinkering and learning Studio's quirks, that I sometimes forget, that not everyone has the time.
The Daz users that use Puppeteer have every right to want it to work with timeline, and has so many uses.
If i gave a bad impression, it was not meant at all.
But still stand by my opinion that Puppeteer has less users and is as such more secondary unlike morph dials which are primary in DAZ, including timeline manip.
But for those that use it, hearing it's less popular and less unspported is probably not cool. Maybe wrong? Maybe with these posts DAZ will offer more support for Puppeteer users on timeline?
So again, I don't use Puppeteer cos it does seem less popular IMO, though very good. Which is why i detailed my workaround. Not as variable or quick as Puppeteer. But it's an adaptaptation with DAZ's apparent resource size IMO.
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settingsJeez - now it works!
I really don't know what I changed but I decided to take screen shots to show my settings (see attached) and in doing so I created a test morph and it just worked fine with the new OBJ importer/Exporter.
I must have changed something before but I went over the settings and I have no idea what it was. Anyhow, here are my screen shots.
Ah, wouldn't you know it - the crappy forum image attach is not working again. I'll try later.
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settingsRichard Haseltine said:
You don't need to calculate the scales - just use 1 in Blender, save a preset (if you aren't using an existing one) in the OBJ Export dialogue in DS, and make sure you use the same preset on import or morph loading - DS will then handle all the needed adjustments for you.
There you go - I thought that was what I was doing. I do set my DAZ export scale to 1 [EDIT - sorry I see you said in Blender] as you can see in the screen shots above. It works for the Blender Legacy OBJ import/exporter but not for the new one. As for import back to DS, I do that using Morph Loader Pro and I don't touch anything to do with scale (leave it at 100%). However, as you can also see from my screen shots, in the Blender Legacy export I have the scale set to 100 (not sure whether that is default or not as I am not at my PC right now). So are you saying this should work for the new Blender import/export?
Export hair from DAZ3D to ZBrushHey,
I have such a problem. I would like to transfer hair from Daz3D to ZBrush. Likewise, I know they need to be exported using a plugin, but every time I do it, the hair in ZBrush looks like it's made up of dozens of individual strips. Is there any way to export them as one cohesive whole?
This is how it looks now:
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settingsYou don't need to calculate the scales - just use 1 in Blender, save a preset (if you aren't using an existing one) in the OBJ Export dialogue in DS, and make sure you use the same preset on import or morph loading - DS will then handle all the needed adjustments for you.
Deepsea Baby HD Looks like stewie on steroids why?Please put your question in the post body and the title
I would expect any Genesis 8.1 Male, and possibly any Genssi 8 male, to do the same. If so it's a character that has been saved with a non-zero value for its morph, so it loads applied unless the file used to load it has explicitly zeroed that property. The first thing to do is check that you have any updates released for your characters (with Daz content, assuming your downloaded through Daz Studio, Central, or Install manager, updates will be flagged - other stoe content and freebies you will need to check for yourself).
[Released] Character Converter from Genesis 2 Male to Genesis 8 Male [Commercial]RiverSoftArt said:
Eboshijaana said:
So I had trouble converting Bearlord Transformed from Ghostofmacbeth. Every time I tried, the arms would become squiggly and malformed.
Until I tested the method used in this video:
I could convert the transformed bearlord with -very- minimal distortion to genesis 8. So I figured I'd share this here in case it will be useful for you, Riversoft.
I appreciate you sharing the link. I have tried that method for G8-G9 and was not 100% satisfied with the results (eyes not great, pose baked into morph, all the morphs converted together).
Could the way the G2 is made to fit into g9/g8 and the baking of it into that shape might be useful, thought?
[Released] Character Converter from Genesis 2 Male to Genesis 8 Male [Commercial]Eboshijaana said:
So I had trouble converting Bearlord Transformed from Ghostofmacbeth. Every time I tried, the arms would become squiggly and malformed.
Until I tested the method used in this video:
I could convert the transformed bearlord with -very- minimal distortion to genesis 8. So I figured I'd share this here in case it will be useful for you, Riversoft.
I appreciate you sharing the link. I have tried that method for G8-G9 and was not 100% satisfied with the results (eyes not great, pose baked into morph, all the morphs converted together).
DAZ achieves new lows in customer support (but appears to have ambitions to go lower still)...same here. GenX saved me a tonne of zlotys in the long run as it allowd me to build and extensive "gene pool". for charcter development. I can transfer GenX morphs from G3 to G8 but it means one more step amd G8 is the end of the line.
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settingsIn your attachments you showed that you exported out of DS at 1% (similar to what I do).
If you then want to import the same object you have just exported bck into DS (no blender involved) then you must set the import to 10000% if th object shall be the same size as when it was imported.
If you have an object of 1 m, and export it at 1% it will be 0.01 m exported. So when you import it you have to scale it to 10000% in order to get it back to 1m.
The scenarie of export and reimport, could be if you wanted to make a morph based on a dForce simulation.
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settingsfelis said:
@Marble try to export an object out of DS and then import it again, right away.
If you export at 1% you have to import it at 10000% if you want to have the same size imported as when exported.
And be aware that the object import settings are different from the morph loader import settings.
I just don't get the logic in any of that, I'm sorry for being so thick on this. If I export an OBJ from DS and then import it again without going via Blender, why should the scale change? Or do you mean to include Blender in the process but just not create a morph? If so, is the 10000% a DAZ Import setting or a Blender Export setting? If it is DAZ, then what is Blender export set to? 100? Which translates to 10,000% in DAZ Studio?
Choosing Default or Current in Transfert UtilityIt depends on whether you've morphed the character (not recommended) or are using the default morph.
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settings@Marble try to export an object out of DS and then import it again, right away.
If you export at 1% you have to import it at 10000% if you want to have the same size imported as when exported.
And be aware that the object import settings are different from the morph loader import settings.
Skunk Peoplecould the fox people use another texture and a bit of morph dialing?
reduced ear size maybe some ratking dialed in
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settingslilweep said:
marble said:
felis said:
I am using the new blender obj im/exporter, and that is working fine.
In and out of blender I use scale 1, so it is consistent.
Out of DS I export at 1% like @Marble, but my import is 10000%, so locally DS is also consistent (so if I export and reimport the same obj, it will be unchanged).
So your Blender export scale is 10,000% ?? Wow... I didn't expect that. I'll try that later but what I don't get is the fact Morph Loader Pro imports without error but instead of the morph being applied, all that happens is the scale is changed by the morph slider. I don't see any sign that the actual morph shape is being applied as well.
is that surprising? if you export from daz at 1% then at some point you need to multiply by 100 to get it back to 100% in daz studio.
so you would need to multiply the default 100% by 100 i.e., 10000% to get back into daz at correct scale. btw blender uses decimal notation (so 1.0 is 100%) so to export at 10000% would be 100.0 scale in decimal notation.
anyway, hope you realise you dont have to bring your exported obj into daz via morph loader pro, you can just visualise what it looks like by bringing it into daz as an obj prop and see if your morph is applied and what its scale is.
we have to take your word for whats happening since no screenshot or description of settings were provided.
Is it a problem taking my word? Why would I lie? What a strange comment.
As for the maths - I'm just hopeless. Even as you explain it I have trouble following. So 10000% is really 100? Right, ok.
Thankfully Blender still has the so-called "Legacy" OBJ import/export so I'm not really hampered. I was just interested to know if anyone had managed to use the new one.
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settingsmarble said:
felis said:
I am using the new blender obj im/exporter, and that is working fine.
In and out of blender I use scale 1, so it is consistent.
Out of DS I export at 1% like @Marble, but my import is 10000%, so locally DS is also consistent (so if I export and reimport the same obj, it will be unchanged).
So your Blender export scale is 10,000% ?? Wow... I didn't expect that. I'll try that later but what I don't get is the fact Morph Loader Pro imports without error but instead of the morph being applied, all that happens is the scale is changed by the morph slider. I don't see any sign that the actual morph shape is being applied as well.
is that surprising? if you export from daz at 1% then at some point you need to multiply by 100 to get it back to 100% in daz studio.
so you would need to multiply the default 100% by 100 i.e., 10000% to get back into daz at correct scale. btw blender uses decimal notation (so 1.0 is 100%) so to export at 10000% would be 100.0 scale in decimal notation.
anyway, hope you realise you dont have to bring your exported obj into daz via morph loader pro, you can just visualise what it looks like by bringing it into daz as an obj prop and see if your morph is applied and what its scale is.
we have to take your word for whats happening since no screenshot or description of settings were provided.
Postgre, CMS, SSD & MacTotte said:
Loser said:
I'm at my complete wits end, I'm so frustrated. I reinstalled all my content onto a new Mac but now I have the gd'd postgre, cms location issues with trying to transfer everything to an SSD since the space is a joke on this laptop. I'm honestly at a loss, everything I've looked up and tried is a complete failure. Please help me. Let's dumb it down and keep it basic because computer literate I am not. I need basic bish set up instructions. I'll uninstall the whole gd thing and all the content if I have to.
Please just help me.
My setup on my main mac, a macStudio is:
- Applications in default location
- All Content Libraries (I have several, one main from DAZ, and one third party, one for freebees, and a bunch of my own special), all located on two external SSD drives via USB-C/Thunderbolt 3
My secondary machine (macPro2014):
- Applications in default location
- All Content Libraries located on one external Thunderbolt drive
My old machines (macPros 2012):
- Applications in default location
- All Content Libraries located on internal drives.
You can do this two ways:
(1) On Fresh Install via DIM, create a directory and tell DIM that that is the installation content dir, and delete the old one and remove it from DIM
(2) Copy the old content library, then reset the CMS and reimport metadataHope this helps
Few questions:
Does the order of install make any difference?
Should I install Daz & DIM & Postgre-whatever directly onto the Mac and put the content onto my external(s)?
Default install for DIM is directly onto the "Application" folder (as you know). This also separates the "App Support folders" into
Mac HD > Users > Name > Library *Hidden Folder* > Application Support > DAZ 3D
which contains the DIM install files.In DIM: Changing the directory
That's going to the gear in the top right, advanced settings, right?
Is there any special thing I need to do in the Daz software under 'Prefrences'?I'm going to try and reinstall this whole nightmare once I get some clarification so I can't mess things up for the 7th time.
I am so tired -_-Choosing Default or Current in Transfert UtilityShoes (obj) just imported in DAZ. Character is posed and joints rotations are baked.
Time to run the transfer Utility.
My question: Should I choose Default or Current for the Genesis character's Item Shape?









