-
Question About "Genesis 3 & 8 Face Controls" Product
Hello, Forumnauts! I'm very interested in purchasing the Daz Originals product "Genesis 3 & 8 Face Controls", but is there currently an issue where, if installed, I will immediately be creating scads of duplication error warnings because of the Gen 8.1 facial controls? I haven't done anything with the default Gen 8.1 characters as yet, and I don't own Victoria 8.1 or Michael 8.1. I'd prefer to stick with good ol' Gen 8. I just want to avoid difficulties.
Also, if you own "Genesis 3 & 8 Face Controls", do you like it or not? I hate being on the fence with decisions, but you know how it is with the end of the month. =) Merci lots!
Please help - my first character importyou did it wrong;
to import character you had to drop contents of the "content" folder into "My Library" folder. "My library" is essentially synonymous with "content" as you can find it both ways in the packages you download
although before you ruined everything like the rest of us tho already are pros and have to deal with a total mess in our HDDs consider creating separate content folders for different types of content for easier management.
especially don't use Daz content folder for poser content
You can add other content folders in the edit>preferences>content>content directory manager
Probably daz developers will explain it more accurately bit I think you need to have victoria 8.0 for 8.1 to work because they are the same thing. just update is not enough
Please help - my first character importHey everyone! First a big hello to the Daz3D community, it's great to be here

Unfortunately I'm having issues trying to import my first character into Daz3D. I have set up a custom folder structure on my PC for my characters, but when I double click to import the character into my scene - I get the message:
"The Following files couldn't be found"
data/daz 3d/genesis 8/female 8_1/morphs/daz 3d/victoria 8_1/ctrlvictoria8_1.dsf
data/daz 3d/genesis 8/female 8_1/morphs/daz 3d/victoria 8_1/phmvictoria8_1_iris_hdlv5.dsf
runtime/textures/daz/characters/genesis8/victoria8_1/victoria8_1_armsao_1005.jpg
runtime/textures/daz/characters/genesis8/victoria8_1/victoria8_1_armsd_1005.jpg
+plus 20+ similar messages
As you can see by my attached screenshots, Daz3D detects my folder structure and character in the UI, but implies that the files are missing when they aren't?
This is my current folder structure:
My Documents >
> DAZ 3D
> Studio
> My Library
> Characters (I created this folder)
> Females (I created this folder)
> Victoria 8.1 (the character I'm trying to import)
> IM00080093-01_Victoria81
> Content
> Data, Runtime, and People folders etc.
I've gone into preferences and re-directed Daz to my folder structure with Victoria in, but it cannot find the accompanying files with the character :/ (I've checked that they're all there and none of the files are missing)
Another solution online said to try updating the genesis 8 female and male update that is available in the DAZ install manager - but I do not have the install manager as I'm using Windows.
I'm a complete beginner to Daz so if someone could support a noob I'd be extremely grateful!


Thanks all!
- Rich
Genesis 8.1 / Victoria 8.1One question about the PBR shader.
If i am using Victoria 8.1 the materials already use the PBR shader skin as default or i need to add it?
Thak you.
Genesis 8.1 presets(8.5.1.19) & other presetsThese presets:
Do not offer FACS posing in Carrara.
Do not link, by default, to the genesis 8.0 shapes, pose controls and visemes.
Do not include geometries or morphs. Requires Genesis 8 starter essentials
Do work with Michael 8.1 and Victoria 8.1 .
8.1 starter files include a few expressions.
The genesis 8.1 base files are bundled in the Genesis 8 starter essentials and will need to be installed before these presets will function.
Install these presets to your Daz library where the starter ressentials are installed.
Shaders are formatted in dz default, compatible with Carrara.
For clothes and hair products, use daz studio to convert weightmaps to blended weights for use in Carrara.
Support and questions thread is in the Rennderosity Carrara Forum.
Presets include
Gemini for Genesis 8.1 Female
Harper for Genesis 8.1 Male
eyelashes
a few basic wear items.
Hair shown in promo is sample hair included with Carrara Native Contenthttps://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/88523/carrara-presets-for-genesis-81
Using G8 shape and material on G8.1?Worlds_Edge said:
https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/466416/genesis-8-1-victoria-8-1/p44
Somewhere in the middle of p. 44, but also on other pages.
Ok Thanks! That would have been like finding a needle in a haystack. Appreciate it!
Using G8 shape and material on G8.1?https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/466416/genesis-8-1-victoria-8-1/p44
Somewhere in the middle of p. 44, but also on other pages.
Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part VIIReally enjoying Victoria 8.1. Tweaked the top coat a little to create the sweaty look. Normally I shift the transmitted color to a light peach, but in this case it works.
Genesis 8.1 / Victoria 8.1charles said:
Cora Regina said:
fred9803 said:
Did you buy one of the bundles, or just V8.1?
I only have G8.1 and I assumed Victoria 8.1 would come with the vellus hair, but it seems only the University Bundle has the gens and the hair like the old pro bundles.
Yep, the vellus hair is paywalled inside the $$$$$ bundles (it's included in both yesterday's and today's). I also thought that ugh, fine, it should at least come with Victoria 8.1, then. But nope, you've gotta pay the big, big bucks to get what they're still advertising as a general upgrade for the base Genesis 8.1 figures.

It's quite normal,with basic Victoria 8.1 you get just character and materials without genitals.,that's why Pro Bundles come to play.
I totally agree that this bundles can be very expensive,but with other side i think every artist knows how much time would take to make this stuff so price is actually not that bad at all.
Question about these promo imageshttps://www.daz3d.com/victoria-8-1
https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/fd/5fee65f922f89c680d41b1c967662b.jpg
Can anyone identify these outfits and hair?
Michael 8.1j cade said:
one thing I'll say his promos reallllllllly didn't do him many favors. for most of them he seems to be rendered with a very dark bg > very very limited bounce light which probably leads to some of the toonyness (also the irises are a bit big)
if you shrink his irises and stick him in more naturalistic lighting he looks signifigantly less toony
Definitevely I agree with @j cade. The promos images, while are funny, are unfair with the character. I found that a good lightning, and this one is very classical, makes a huge difference. He is a very handsome figure. The only adjustment made in the image below was the iris and sclera. I think the eyes region on Michael 8.1 are a little bit darker and the iris texture is poor. The same occurs with Victoria 8.1. Changing the iris texture turns shrink his iris unecessary.
Looking for the outfit from "Assassin Poses for G8F & V8"...[Looking for the outfit from "Assassin Poses for G8F & V8"]... as you can see it here: https://www.daz3d.com/assassin-poses-for-genesis-8-female-and-victoria-8
I've searched the DAZ Shop with the term "Assassin", but no luck. Perhaps it is from another store... anyway. It would be great to get some hints on that.
Thanks in advance, Paul
Edited for Please put your question in the post body and the title - Daz 3D Forums
SereneNight’s Sci-Fi Fun Thread 3@Vwrangler I tried his skin on Boyd earlier. It has the benefit of being a sort of okay base skin. I do think it is more Base Male than M8.1 though. It is... Plain. I think its a bit dark for a redhead. Its nearly red, like a lot of the skins are.
@Hylas I know the new version of studio uses the latest IRAY which in itself is a memory user. But, I also think the base resolution is ramped up a bit with G8.1 If whatever it is that causes the load happens, and it drops to CPU, my computer is overwhelmed trying to run it. It did that with Victoria 8.1 with full HD. I can however run Victoria 8.0 with full HD and Both Owen and Boyd wtih Full HD without problem in 4.11 so your mileage will vary
Michael 8.1xyer0 said:
An accurate depiction of my feelings about Michael 8.1:



Poor Quixotry worked such wonders with her Victoria 8.1 expressions, but she obviously was outdone by Mehchael 8.1's mouth; so, she had to leave it mostly closed and give us variations on awkward dork and bashful dweeb because there was nothing to be done for his toon eyes. Rather than building off of the excellent progress that they made with Genesis 8 Male Core Figures, it appears Daz decided to scrap all that and start from scratch.
That's funny. I appreciate the humor.
Michael 8.1xyer0 said:
An accurate depiction of my feelings about Michael 8.1:



Poor Quixotry worked such wonders with her Victoria 8.1 expressions, but she obviously was outdone by Mehchael 8.1's mouth; so, she had to leave it mostly closed and give us variations on awkward dork and bashful dweeb because there was nothing to be done for his toon eyes. Rather than building off of the excellent progress that they made with Genesis 8 Male Core Figures, it appears Daz decided to scrap all that and start from scratch.
Maybe that's what Daz were aiming for...?
~~~~~~
Like V8.1, I've only bought Michael's Base.
An $80 bundle with no pose packs (other than the wheelchair poses)... Pass.
Michael 8.1empty said:
daveso said:
well, I did buy V8.1, but not all that jumping for joy over the skin texture. I can't tell the difference in that vs 8.0 or even the eyes for that matter. I fooled around with the PBR skin shader. That does seem to make some changes but you need to get into the surfaces pane and change a lot of stuff.
Michael 8.1 is a pass, as are the bundles. Its way too pricey and absolutely no discounts for anything. I suppose 8.1 purchases will be the future buy in for banner ad discounts.I sincerely, sincerely hope that 8.1 is not a reset for banner discounts after so much loyalty was spent on Genesis 8 pro bundles. This is not speculation, just a hope.
Well, sadly, my purchases of nearly all the bundles for genesis 8 core figures don't seem to count for the new Gensis 8.1 bundles.
I'm really wondering whether or not to buy the pricey new Michael 8.1 bundles or not; and maybe even whether or not to return the Victoria 8.1 bundle I already got.
Michael 8.1MimicMolly said:
melissastjames said:
MimicMolly said:
I don't get it. People complained about the overly muscular guys, and when they release a small one, y'all complain about him too. But I guess the problem is that the complainers probably want a twiggy one that's like a more realistic version of Ollie but "younger and more 'handsome'."
I have no problem with his body. It's that he's entirely too young and his skin is abysmal. It should be noted that M8.1 is still pretty muscled.
My wish, as I've said before, is to see someone with a build like Gustaf Skarsgard...tall and lanky...particularly when he was playing Floki on Vikings.
His "youngness" is only a problem because of his name. But then again, I'm probably the only one here who is bothered by the disproportionate amount of young female characters and equally young male characters. It's easier to age a character than make it look younger.
Even though I don't care for lanky male characters at all, it's an odd argument to use with "Michael". He was never the skinny guy. He wasn't a younger man either (David was), but I feel that's been lacking in the bases, so I'll take it.
Now that I think about it, perhaps this character would've been better received as "David 8.1"? Probably not, since he's not small-enough or thin-enough.
Well, Victoria 8.1 was essentially Stephanie, so it would make sense that Michael 8.1 is actually David.
Michael 8.1
Some of them are meme worthy, I dig those. But the outer corners of the eyes do not appear to react well to facial expressionsxyer0 said:An accurate depiction of my feelings about Michael 8.1:



Poor Quixotry worked such wonders with her Victoria 8.1 expressions, but she obviously was outdone by Mehchael 8.1's mouth; so, she had to leave it mostly closed and give us variations on awkward dork and bashful dweeb because there was nothing to be done for his toon eyes. Rather than building off of the excellent progress that they made with Genesis 8 Male Core Figures, it appears Daz decided to scrap all that and start from scratch.
Michael 8.1An accurate depiction of my feelings about Michael 8.1:



Poor Quixotry worked such wonders with her Victoria 8.1 expressions, but she obviously was outdone by Mehchael 8.1's mouth; so, she had to leave it mostly closed and give us variations on awkward dork and bashful dweeb because there was nothing to be done for his toon eyes. Rather than building off of the excellent progress that they made with Genesis 8 Male Core Figures, it appears Daz decided to scrap all that and start from scratch.
3D Print Questions - Differences in slicer software, cost of printer.Absolutely agree with you, AnotherUserName.
I've finally photographed one of my 90mm DAZ figure statues:

Sorry it's not very in focus, my 2009 vintage camera isn't good a macro shots.
This one is Jim Burton's Victoria 3 based 'Glamorous Vickie' with the tube based and now unavailable 'Las Vegas Hair' and the base figure's string bikini. Even the fingernails are visible, the bow on the bikini ties and the string between the two bikini top triangles. I had supports up to each finger before cutting away and filled the witness marks in the base, but none were really needed to any of the hair.
Regards,
Richard.
















