DAZ Studio 4.9 and catagories

I just upgraded to 4.9. I appear to have all of my catagories, but all of the items that were not catagorized and yet highlighted, are no longer highlighted. Before I upgrading, I exported my existing Content Database as instructed. I do not know IF i am to reinstall the saved database, and if I am, which directory location am I to put it in.

Or is there another way to restore the highlighting on the items.

Thank you

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited January 2016
    reelyor said:

I just upgraded to 4.9. I appear to have all of my catagories, but all of the items that were not catagorized and yet highlighted, are no longer highlighted. Before I upgrading, I exported my existing Content Database as instructed. I do not know IF i am to reinstall the saved database, and if I am, which directory location am I to put it in.

Or is there another way to restore the highlighting on the items.

Thank you

Ummm why do you have to export your existing Contebt Database?  I didn't read or see anything about that. Just curious as i am seriously thinking about the upgrade.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • Kaleb242Kaleb242 Posts: 344

The release notes say to back up your content database before upgrading to DS 4.9, in the Important Notes on this page:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/69628/daz-studio-4-9-pro-general-release-now-available#latest

Important Notes:

!! IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU BACKUP YOUR CONTENT DATABASE IN DAZ STUDIO 4.8 BEFORE LAUNCHING DAZ STUDIO 4.9 !!

How do I backup my User Data in Daz Studio?

Content Database / Metadata related

• The first time you launch Daz Studio 4.9, any data that exists in the content database is migrated so that it can be used in Daz Studio 4.9.
    • The amount of time the database migration operation takes is proportional to the amount of data to be migrated.
    • The database migration operation does not delete the data that it migrates from the previous location so that it remains accessible by earlier versions and other applications, such as Carrara.
    • Daz Studio 4.9 uses the same PostgreSQL database as Daz Studio 4.6 and later, and/or other applications, such as Carrara.
    • A portion of the data contained within the database is shared amongst versions but not entirely. For example:
      • Creating a category in either Daz Studio 4.9 or 4.8 will cause that category to exist in the other version
      • Assigning a file to that category in Daz Studio 4.9 will NOT cause that file to be assigned to that category in Daz Studio 4.8
      • Assigning a file to that category in Daz Studio 4.8 WILL cause the file to be assigned to the category in Daz Studio 4.9
    • Reseting the database in any version of Daz Studio that uses PostgreSQL (4.6 or later) will purge all of data in the database, including any data that may be used by earlier versions or other applications, such as Carrara.
    • After the initial migration operation, edited metadata in Daz Studio 4.8 will not be migrated to Daz Studio 4.9.
      • A workaround is to export User Data from Daz Studio 4.8 and reimport User Data in Daz Studio 4.9.
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Kaleb242 said:

The release notes say to back up your content database before upgrading to DS 4.9, in the Important Notes on this page:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/69628/daz-studio-4-9-pro-general-release-now-available#latest

Important Notes:

!! IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU BACKUP YOUR CONTENT DATABASE IN DAZ STUDIO 4.8 BEFORE LAUNCHING DAZ STUDIO 4.9 !!

• The first time you launch Daz Studio 4.9, any data that exists in the content database is migrated so that it can be used in Daz Studio 4.9.
    • The amount of time the database migration operation takes is proportional to the amount of data to be migrated.
    • The database migration operation does not delete the data that it migrates from the previous location so that it remains accessible by earlier versions and other applications, such as Carrara.
    • Daz Studio 4.9 uses the same PostgreSQL database as Daz Studio 4.6 and later, and/or other applications, such as Carrara.
    • A portion of the data contained within the database is shared amongst versions but not entirely. For example:
      • Creating a category in either Daz Studio 4.9 or 4.8 will cause that category to exist in the other version
      • Assigning a file to that category in Daz Studio 4.9 will NOT cause that file to be assigned to that category in Daz Studio 4.8
      • Assigning a file to that category in Daz Studio 4.8 WILL cause the file to be assigned to the category in Daz Studio 4.9
    • Reseting the database in any version of Daz Studio that uses PostgreSQL (4.6 or later) will purge all of data in the database, including any data that may be used by earlier versions or other applications, such as Carrara.
    • After the initial migration operation, edited metadata in Daz Studio 4.8 will not be migrated to Daz Studio 4.9.
      • A workaround is to export User Data from Daz Studio 4.8 and reimport User Data in Daz Studio 4.9.

Ah I understood exporting as something different.  I am in process of backing up now.  If I read that correctly its only if you edited your metadata in 4.8 that you will have to reimport.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507

I have a simple question...no wild panicking here over encryption or anything.   :)

If you have plant props in a D&M temple set for example and a set of Predatron plants that came in a package by themselves, can you use smart content to view all your plants from all sources at once or, as in this example, do you have to know what D&M temple set comes with the plants you want to see in order to view them?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

If they have metadata identifying them as plants, then you don't need to know what set they came from.

• reelyorreelyor Posts: 235

Back to my original question: where is the current content category kept? What is the path please?

I can probably figure things out from there.

I can access all of my content (it seems), its just that now I don't know which items I had categorized, and which are newly imported.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

now think about all the work categorising it again

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,327
    edited January 2016

removed by user because too much offtopic.

Will make a separate thread to explain how to search for all plants and plants of a specific artist.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/69942/how-to-search-for-your-items-with-daz-studio-4-9#latest

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • PeteHPeteH Posts: 19
    Kaleb242 said:

Important Notes:

This process is not reliable for some configrations - it failed for me at 4.6 release and has never worked since. The "Category Export" fails part way through and corrupts the Userdata somehow that importing into a new system (on a new machine) results in duplicated categories embedded in sub-categories that are not valid (if you create one, use it, then delete it) it will be present. Despite all tests I reported - no fix has been supplied. SO BE WARNED

If you import saved user data from 4.8, where does the file go in 4.9, please?

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100

There are a couple of other threads on this. If you lost your user categories in the migration to 4.9 from 4.8 please file a support ticket. It definitely isn't widespread, but it is at the top of my list for my team to find out what is causing this so we can get people back on track. :) 

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    reelyor said:

If you import saved user data from 4.8, where does the file go in 4.9, please?

I don't think anyone understands what you are asking, because the question, as phrased, doesn't make any sense.

You are talking about importing data... which is not a file, its data.  There is no path involved.

Are you asking HOW to import your old user data?

I'm just trying to clarify, not picking on your language skills or anything. Just saying that I, for one, can not understand what you are asking.

Perhaps I am phrasing it wrong.

I exported my database from 4.8 according to the directions posted, prior to installing 4.9. I ended up with "something" called "UserData_1.dsx".

If I want to import that (not migrate) iinto 4.9, where would it be placed so it can be seen.

As I said earlier, I have all of my categories, and perhaps a few more, but the files that I hadn't categorized yet do not come up highlighted as "new" as in the old system. If I click on the categories, my data appears to be there. But if I click on Unassigned, nothing comes up highlighted. So now I don't know which files need to be categorized. This is rather annoying.

DAZ_Spooky, I appreciate your attention to this, but I DO have my categories. I am seeing all of the other pertinent threads, and following the progress here. Thanks. please see my next previous post to see what my problem is.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440

If you want to get back all the data you exported, From the Smart Content Tab click the little > and four lines to bring up the context menu (like you did to export the data). Choose Content Database Maintenance. Check Re-Import Metadata and hit Accept.

You'll be given an Import Metadata Screen.  I would uncheck everything except Userdata and uncheck the options for Group as New and Group Contents as New.  Then hit Accept.  This will import all the data your previously exported.

Thank you, Evilded777!!