Where did all my categories go in 4.9?

Hi, I have just updated to DAZ Studio 4.9 and I had a huge set of directories under the "categories" heading where all of my content was organised in 4.8.  It's all gone. Before I upgraded I went to "Content DB maintenance > export user data"  thinking that this could then be reimported if the directories didn't  transfer. They didn't.

Once 4.9 was installed I then clicked on "Migrate Old Content Database" thinking it would recreate all of my categories but I got nothing so next I tried to import the "user data" from the previous operation but the "import mapped directories" command brings up a blank window - there seems to be nothing to import. 

I have a backup copy of 4.8 so I can re-do things if I have made a mistake somewhere:   the question is How do I get all of my directories back?

Thanks

Comments

• PeteHPeteH Posts: 19

I don't even get a list of directories.

This happened in 4.7 (maybe 4.8) that the Categories are lost - they still have not cleared that fault.  They are too interested in forcing you to use "Smart Content" so that you can buy the items that you don't yet own.

Doesn't work if you use the Dawn or Dusk characters.....

Also tried uninstalling and reinstalling postgres with no alteration.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

now this is the third thread about this

send a ticket to daz help pls

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/69753/4-9-categories#latest

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

No issues here (I know that's not much help). Note that all I did was run DIM to install 4.9. Everything worked without problems, the same as the update from 4.7 to 4.8.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

nice to hear that all your custom made categories are still working

fastbike1  - Your are very very lucky - this is the second upgrade where I lost them all.

• zug22zug22 Posts: 73

I have now posted this at the Help desk.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

If this was directed to me, I never said I had "custom made categories", whatever those are. I have however moved items from their original installed folder to one that mode more sense to me. For instance, lights and light presets never made sense to me,so now lights are 3DL and light presets are Iray. Things like that. My point was that 4.6 to 4.7 to 4.8 to 4.9 have all worked without problems and across three computer upgrades. I use DIM and I can't help but wonder if that eliminates some of the issues.

Ruphuss said:

nice to hear that all your custom made categories are still working

• I also lost all my custom categories. I put a backup of my C drive on so I can still us 4.8. The transition from 4.7 to 4.8 was fine. I, also, saw various threads about this, but didn't find any info to fix this. I wish DAZ could put out their own official  thread explaining how to fix this.

• GTDGTD Posts: 6

Don't know if this can help but I had trouble with POSTGRES SQL error after updating to 4.9.  And when I finally fix it, my categories where gone.

My categories where not in posgres SQL DB but in the old Valentina SQL DB.

I just reset the DATABASE and then Import Metadata again.  All is good now.

All is on this thread : http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/70033/postgreslq-cms-connection-not-working-on-startup-of-4-9#latest

Read this might help you with that:

Go to : https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Look for:

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
    Installing PostgreSQL for DAZ Studio 4.6.3.50

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    GTD said:

Don't know if this can help but I had trouble with POSTGRES SQL error after updating to 4.9.  And when I finally fix it, my categories where gone.

My categories where not in posgres SQL DB but in the old Valentina SQL DB.

Yes, that's why all your categories were gone — previous D|S versions still allowed you to use the old Valentina database, but 4.9 only uses the new PostgreSQL. There was a conversion tool included in the previous installers, but it seems to have been left out of the new one. Not a good idea, methinks, if there are still many people who never changed over to the new database system. The old Valentina files should still be there on your computer; the conversion tool would have allowed you to put this data into the new PostgreSQL format so that 4.9 could understand it.