Why oh why ... well ... guesses?

Situation and no pics 'cause it would not repeat for pics so not officially "a bug" I guess but gee whiz ...

Picture a long sleeve ... not very many vertical lines, lots of horizontal lines ....

Uvmapped, etc.

Okay, I selected ONE looped vertical row and hit the backspace key to remove "all" the dots too upon its removal. Fine except NOOOO ... also vanishing from the sleeve were other faces which were in no way connected to the selected loop ... or so I think however in the created hole there appeared to be some "where did these come from" type faces, small and attached by maybe one dot to the sleeve. As the sleeve had been created by extracting out from a line, I have NO idea where or how or that even those would have been there.

I hit Edit > undo a few times to get all the mesh back in place and repeated the sequence but then everything worked as expected, minus the shading domains now of course.

Does anybody know what happened that a backspace and clear all would cause allegedly unrelated faces to also be deleted?

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Hi Patience - I'll try to re-create.  Could you explain the construction process?  You say the sleeve was created from extracting out from a line; did you maybe extract a ring from another mesh and extrude that - if so, how did the horizontal lines get made?  By doing the extrusion in stages, or by cutting in new edges after the sleeve was the correct length?

I ask these, because often when extruding from a line, you will get flipped normals - possibly you have backface culling on and when dissolving the edges, that had the effect of making them appear to vanish.  The undo action could have flipped them back to visibility. 

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    Roygee said:

Hi Patience - I'll try to re-create.  Could you explain the construction process?  You say the sleeve was created from extracting out from a line; did you maybe extract a ring from another mesh and extrude that - if so, how did the horizontal lines get made?  By doing the extrusion in stages, or by cutting in new edges after the sleeve was the correct length?

I ask these, because often when extruding from a line, you will get flipped normals - possibly you have backface culling on and when dissolving the edges, that had the effect of making them appear to vanish.  The undo action could have flipped them back to visibility. 

The bodice of the dress was made, the armhole lines selected and drawn out to form the length of the sleeves. Then yes, I extracted out vertical lines [arms in "T" position] ... and while I try to NOT have backface culling on, it is near another button I do use and it does from time to time get inadvertantly turned on so your second paragraph explains what probably happened very well, including why it did not repeat! Assuming then that the undo action flipped them back to visibility. Thank you.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Yes, Hex is inclined to get the normals wrong when making a mesh from sples - not alone in this - Blender does the same, virtually 100 percent of the time.  One gets used to this and fortunately Blender has a one-click solution:)