OT excel questions

Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I want to use excel which came with the office that I bought for my computer. I have office 2003 and office 2007.

Question 1: How can I make at least one of the rows always stay up on top and have the rest of the rows be scrollable? I want one row to be the header with what each column means and always stay on time. I want to be able to scroll the data but keep the header on top.

I am looking up info, but how do I do if true or else statements that are complex. like: if certain cell equals 1, 3,5,7,8,10,or 12; this cell equals 1 else if certain cell equals 4,6,9,or 11; this cell equals 2, else this cell equals 3. or something like that.

I will use this thread to ask questions about excel or other office questions.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

In 2007 View > Freeze Panes has an option to freeze top row. I don't recall the syntax offhand for a list of values.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702
    edited December 1969

Thanks!

My first project in Excel is to make a calendar.

edited December 1969

I hid two columns but now i do not want them hidden. How do I select them to unhide them?

• Virtual_WorldVirtual_World Posts: 1,078
    edited December 1969

I hid two columns but now i do not want them hidden. How do I select them to unhide them?

I have Office 2010; but I think the procedure for 2007 is similar:

To display hidden columns, select the columns adjacent to either side of the columns that you want to unhide.
    Right click and select unhide from the menu. (see attached)

Captureexcel1.JPG
    250 x 494 - 32K
  • anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Microsoft has a bunch of training on their website as well, if you get some time to look there: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/excel-2007-training-courses-HA010218987.aspx

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2012

MBW I had a word with someone who is qualified to teach excel (amongst other things) and he says that what you want to do is not easy if you don't know the basics of setting up spread sheets in excel. He does say much the same as Anikad, find some basic training tutorials on line and go forward from there. What you want to do is one of the advnaced formulas. Even he would have to go dig up his old notes to find it, which is why he says that you should find some basic on line tuts.

I used Excel spreadsheets a lot when I was working, and I would have trouble thinking back to working this one out, as it is not something I used really.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Just plug another if inside the first one:
    =if(A1=1;"Condition 1 is True";if(A1=2;"Condition 2 is True";"Neither condition is true"))

edited December 1969

I know of the concept of nested if then else statements.

Thanks! now I see the code to make the if then else statement, that is what I needed to know.

• edited December 1969

I'm much better at Excel than I am with 3D programs. Feel free to email me with any questions. Also search Microsoft's website, they do have some Calendar templates which may or may not contain the functionality you're looking for.
    Rick

edited September 2012

ragaray said:
    I'm much better at Excel than I am with 3D programs. Feel free to email me with any questions. Also search Microsoft's website, they do have some Calendar templates which may or may not contain the functionality you're looking for.
    Rick

Would love to email you but I do not have your email address. Can you pm me your email address please?

I think you would need it in format username at hostname dot com as the forums are still not posting email addresses.

Post edited by Sfariah D on
  • edited December 1969

PM sent.
    Sorry about that, I know some forums allow users to send emails through the boards.

edited December 1969

Yes. If the person has allowed their email address to de displayed, all a person needs to do is click the profile button beneath a persons avatar, if you can see an email button there, then you can email the person.

You do not actually see the email address of the person you are sending the email to, but obviously they will see yours when they receive the email, and can then reply to you, if they want to.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Yes. If the person has allowed their email address to de displayed, all a person needs to do is click the profile button beneath a persons avatar, if you can see an email button there, then you can email the person.

You do not actually see the email address of the person you are sending the email to, but obviously they will see yours when they receive the email, and can then reply to you, if they want to.

That function does not work for me. Every time I have tried that method I get this error:

emailproblemwithforumin092012.jpg
    662 x 356 - 29K
    edited December 1969

Ah, OK sorry I didn't realise.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Ah, OK sorry I didn't realise.

I do not think that regular forum members can use that feature or at least I cannot. You are a forum admin so you have more privileges than most people here.

edited December 1969

Yes, I must admit I hadn't realised it worked like that.

edited December 1969

I have a new Excel question. I am trying to make a chart to show what hours I am available so I can print it and give it to my boss. I found a template that mostly works. The template has five days, but I want seven. I printed a copy but it only printed five days instead of seven. How do I make Excel print the last two columns? I do want to let my boss know I am available Saturday.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Select the area you want to print, in 2007 it's Page Layout > Print Area > Set Print Area, don't recall which menu it's under in 2003.

edited December 1969

I went to the library and found a book about Excel 2003. I do have that installed on my computer but rather use Excel 2007. Can I use that book to help me learn Excel 2007?

Thank you.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited December 1969

The UI changed considerably in that length of time so it may not help much.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    The UI changed considerably in that length of time so it may not help much.

Glad it is a library book instead of a book from that used book store near my house. I am requesting some Excel 2007 books. Thanks!

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited October 2012

When I got my new laptop the end of last year, the MS Office suite was 2010, and since I was used to using MS Offic3 2003, I had to find some documentation.

A friend recommended Book Boon  --> http://bookboon.com/ It's free, and all I did was sign up to receive a weekly email about books on different subjects. So far I've downloaded quite a few on a variety of subjects.

Post edited by Miss B on
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    When I got my new laptop the end of last year, the MS Office suite was 2010, and since I was used to using MS Offic3 2003, I had to find some documentation.

A friend recommended Book Boon  --> http://bookboon.com/ It's free, and all I did was signup to receive a weekly email about books on different subjects. So far I've downloaded quite a few on a variety of subjects.

How do I put those books onto my Kindle? I do not have any usb cord for my kindle. I use a wall charger to charge it up.

edited December 1969

The one's I've downloaded are in PDF format, so you would be able to read them with Acrobat Reader on your desktop.

edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    The one's I've downloaded are in PDF format, so you would be able to read them with Acrobat Reader on your desktop.

I have Acrobat X pro so I can read and edit pdfs. It came with my CS6 suite I got this spring.

I guess I would have to get an USB cord for my kindle to upload stuff to it.

edited December 1969

oh I forgot to say Thanks!

edited December 1969

You're quite welcome. :)

edited December 1969

Is there any 64 bit Excel? Or do I need to cut down on some of the data? I cannot seem to be able to save my file as Excel says that there is not enough ram. I tried to clear as much ram as I could but that did not help anything.

Why is it possible to have the data go into very high numbers in rows or letters in columns if the 32 bit cannot handle it?