Comments

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Don't forget to leave some feedback. That way I know if they are working OK and what sort of things you like.

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Oh, LOVELY - thanks!!

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092
    edited July 2012

Wilmap, Thanks for the new creations. I love the cardigans, especially with the lace materials.

I found a couple of problems with the Gathered Dress and Sleeveless Dress though - this is what I got in the log file:

First the Gathered Dress:

Could not resolve URI: "/data/Pusey Designs/Gathered Dress/Gathered Dress/Gathered Dress-uvlayout.dsf#Gathered Dress-uvlayout"
    WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(2183): Could not find node definition.
    WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(781): Could not create node for instance.
    WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(634): Failed to create node!

Looks like .dsf files have a spurious repeat of "Gathered Dress" in the file references that don't match the library setup in the zip files - I tried inserting the extra folder level and it worked fine - it's a very neat dress - but I thought you'd like to know.

For the Sleeveless Dress I get:

Could not resolve URI: "/data/Pusey Designs/Genesis gathered dress/Genesis gathered dress/Dress.dsf#Dress"
    WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(2183): Could not find node definition.
    WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(781): Could not create node for instance.
    WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(634): Failed to create node!

There is no "Dress.dsf" in either zip, so I couldn't resolve this one myself. Incidentally the zip file for the sleeveless dress puts a spurious "dress" folder in the data library which contains something called "Tunic female-uvlayout.dsf" - is this from a future project of yours perhaps?

Thanks again for all you efforts in dressing Genesis, though,
    Melanie.

Post edited by MelanieL on
    edited July 2012

Thanks for that Melanie . Have updated the files.

Post edited by Wilmap on
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Thanks for that Melanie . Have updated the files.

Great - thanks - I'll go and grab them asap.
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited December 1969

Thanks for posting. I lost track of this thread after the forum switchover. I'm going to try the gathered dress. I'll let you know how it goes.

edited July 2012

Thanks for the nice "real person" clothes (not fantasy, goth, etc.). The gathered dress worked pretty well for me. I'm amazed at what you've been able to create. I bet this will be fun to play with with the Fabricator, too. I only say some strange behavior in poses where the legs were moved a lot. This is pose 008 from the set Posed for Victoria 5. Here the dress kind of crossed over itself. I know this isn't dynamic clothing, so I shouldn't expect it to follow body movements. I didn't find a way to smooth it out when I played with smoothing settings, but I didn't try very many options. Now I'm off to try some more of your clothes! Thanks for being so generous!!
    [Edit: Attached image instead of thumbnail this time.]

Tori_Aldora_Gathered_Dress_2.png
    400 x 517 - 97K
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited December 1969

I tried the sleeveless dress, but I got an error saying one or more files could not be found. I noticed that the dsf file is named Genesis gathered dress instead of sleeveless dress. The icon is also named gathered, but shows a sleeveless version.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

*yoink* Thank you! Will install later and give a good solid testing. :)

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    I tried the sleeveless dress, but I got an error saying one or more files could not be found. I noticed that the dsf file is named Genesis gathered dress instead of sleeveless dress. The icon is also named gathered, but shows a sleeveless version.

That file has been updated with the correct data.

edited December 1969

Sleeveless is working now! Thanks for the clothes and the quick fixes.

Aziza_Sleeveless_Dress_AMR_lights+_subd.jpg
    400 x 517 - 46K
    edited December 1969

Thanks for letting me know.

Nice render.:-)

edited September 2012

Hi, Wilmap, I hope you still look in here?

First let me say that I really appreciate the work you've put into creating "real world" clothing for Genesis - your designs are my go-to items on so many occasions!

However, I recently noticed a problem trying to apply Fabricator (well, Silkessence actually) shader presets to your Female Jacket from the "Genesis Jackets" set. Presets that use the DAZ Default Shader work OK, but if you try to apply one which uses the HSS, it doesn't render correctly.

The images below show the jacket in the preview pane and when rendered, using the following shader presets:
    Buttons = plain silk
    Collar/Pocket = Japanese embroidered silk 05
    Jacket/Sleeves = Japanese Flower
    (Yes, I know noone in their right mind would want a jacket coloured like that, but this is just to clearly demonstrate the problem!)

As you can see, the shaders show up fine in the preview window (image 1) - well, apart from the tiling size which doesn't show up in a preview - but the render (image 2) looks very wrong. I think this is caused by inverted normals?

The Male Jacket, by the way, behaves perfectly with all the shader presets I've tried on it.

I took the .dsf file into Blender and noticed that the normals were facing in various directions, which I think is causing the anomaly. Now, if I knew how to, I could reverse the appropriate normals, save the result and see if it is successful, but I haven't the faintest idea how to recreate a .dsf (that works). Is there any chance that you could take a look at this?

Hope you can help,
    Melanie.

Female-Jacket-Rendered.jpg
    893 x 661 - 50K
    Female-Jacket-Preview.jpg
    901 x 701 - 133K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
    edited December 1969

Hi Melanie, I'll take a look at this tomorrow for you.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

I've seen that happen when UV map has somehow borkened. (Had something like that going on with my kender hoopak and wood shaders.)

edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Hi Melanie, I'll take a look at this tomorrow for you.

Thanks a lot - you're a star!

edited December 1969

Have reversed the normals and it seems to be working OK now.

I have just updated the file on ShareCG.

• the halfdragonthe halfdragon Posts: 29
    edited December 1969

these look cool wilmap thank you greatly and i have been seeing them pop up every now and again. haven't had any issues dl'ing them or extracting them

edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Have reversed the normals and it seems to be working OK now.

I have just updated the file on ShareCG.

Thanks for the update - here's the jacket with some Silkessence shaders (just a quick render, so lighting isn't great):

Silk-Jacket.jpg
    800 x 800 - 263K
  • the halfdragonthe halfdragon Posts: 29
    edited December 1969

that looks good even with not the best lighting as you say, it's a pretty dang nice looking effect

• AeonicBAeonicB Posts: 165
    edited December 1969

Thanks for these. I love your free clothes. =)

edited December 1969

Looks great Melanie. Never thought to use Silkessence, but it works.:-)

• appyedgeappyedge Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

Hi!! I'm really new at this!!! I have all sorts of questions. I hope you don't mind me asking you some of them. I can tell you know how to make things that really do fit the Genesis figure. I'd gotten some of your things from ShareCG before I even saw this forum and knew you were the one who created them. They're great!! They actually fit the figure. ;) I want to thank you so much for your Genesis clothes and things!

Now, My questions:

1. I have some clothes that I can get on the figure, but they don't fit good. They are supposed to fit the figure, but they don't. Is there a way to fix that??

2. Where do I put the textures (fabric)? I love fabric and I'm dieing to use some of your beautiful textures!!

3. When I get a file, what should I look for? By that, I mean, what file endings go in what folder, and what folders do I NEED to have so the object will work? In the Content Library, I find files that come up with the picture of the piece of clothing showing up, but not the materials (or the colors they come in) so you can't get them. Did they forget to put them in? Or just the opposite happens, too. I get so frustrated when I find something really cute and for some reason it doesn't work. Is there a way to fix that??

I hope you don't mind me asking all this stuff. I really love doing this, but there are some frustrating things. lol I know it's because I'm just starting. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Carol

• biddlecombiddlecom Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

appyedge said:

Now, My questions:

1. I have some clothes that I can get on the figure, but they don't fit good. They are supposed to fit the figure, but they don't. Is there a way to fix that??

2. Where do I put the textures (fabric)? I love fabric and I'm dieing to use some of your beautiful textures!!

3. When I get a file, what should I look for? By that, I mean, what file endings go in what folder, and what folders do I NEED to have so the object will work? In the Content Library, I find files that come up with the picture of the piece of clothing showing up, but not the materials (or the colors they come in) so you can't get them. Did they forget to put them in? Or just the opposite happens, too. I get so frustrated when I find something really cute and for some reason it doesn't work. Is there a way to fix that??

Carol

I too would like to know the answers to these questions. i am new to DAZ and have many of the same problems. So if anyone can answer any or all of these questions I too would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

edited December 1969

appyedge said:

Now, My questions:

Carol

I too would like to know the answers to these questions. I am new to DAZ and have many of the same problems. So if anyone can answer any or all of these questions I too would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Thank you for your nice comments Carol.

I have only been making clothing since March 2012 so am a beginner too! I learnt everything by reading tutorials I found on the internet and watching videos on Youtube.

Hope the following helps you both.

1. I can only suggest you watch the tutorials on You tube to see how to fit clothing using the transfer utitlity tool..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLB2o_FYDAw

2. My textures are saved in the "texture" folder under "runtime" .

3. I save the .dsa files that add them to the clothing in a Material file in the same folder as the clothing item, so that they are easy to find. I don't know how other people have saved theirs, but usually the textures are saved with the item.

• SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971
    edited December 1969

Your free stuff is very good and very useful, more please.

edited December 1969

Thank you sooooo much, Wendy!!! That's exactly what I wanted!!! You do such good work!! I'm like SteveM17, tho...."More Please."
    ;) I'd like to do things like you in making clothes and things. I've started in Hexagon, and I can transfer it to DAZ, but I'm not sure what to do with it after that. lol I'm learning step by step. I found some good info on it yesterday, but haven't gotten to it yet. I'm learning other stuff, too. Many of the things I've been "learning" (through experimentation), you just answered for me. (Thank you again. lol)

I just looked up when I downloaded my DAZ Studio to see how long I've been doing this. It was August 15, 2012. I guess I'm not doing too bad....for an old lady. hahahaha

Thank you again!!
    Carol

edited December 1969

I just watched the video. It's GREAT! It's exactly what I wanted to know. And I found some of what I was wanting to know for my Hexagon shirt in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7abESLvn0yg&feature=relmfu

You have been such a help for me!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!
    Carol

edited December 1969

Hi again! You've been such a help! I'm sorry I've posted you with so many question. Ihave just a couple more, if you don't mind, then I'll try to stay out of your hair. Any help you can give me would be great!

1. You have .dsf files for each item of clothing. How did you save that? I've found out how to save .obj files. You have yours inside the name of the clothes, then the .dsa file in the materials folder. Where do you go to save the .dsa file?? I have come to the opinion, after working more on figuring things out last night, that I'm going to work with your stuff and still work on making my own clothes. There are a few other clothes that seem to work well, but not many, even tho they say they're supposed to fit Genesis.

2.Another question. When I send something to Hexagon to work on it, the mesh is so small, it's hard to work on it. Is there a way to make the mesh not so tightly webbed?

Again, thank you so much for helping me, and for giving me a goal to work towards in the clothes you make.
    Carol

edited September 2012

I am still using DS4 so mine may be different to yours.

I select the item and go to File/Save As/Support Asset/DSF Figure or Prop.
    (My Support Asset is at the bottom of the list.)

Once I have added a texture using the surface panel, I then make sure that the item and all the surfaces required are selected and the go to File/Save As/ DSF Materials File.

I then make renders (size 91x91) and save these as my icons with the same name as the files.

Hope this helps.

I do all my modelling in Silo so I'm afraid I can't help with the Hexagon problem.

Post edited by Wilmap on