Poser 10 executable file just started crashing on me -- any advice?

Hi all. I have Poser 10 with the latest SR 5.2 installed on my Windows 10 machine. Everything was working fine until yesterday, when I tried to open Poser. I got past the loading screen, but, as soon as the actual GUI was loading, "the Poser 10 executable fille stopped working."

I tried uninstalling programs that were updated since the last time Poser worked, but removing them had no effect. Poser still crashes. Also tried reinstalling the SR 5.2 with the same result. Any thoughts?

--MW

Comments

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,771
    edited December 2015

Try renaming Poser.ini and LibraryPrefs.ini  (the location depends on your operating system, but in Windows it's in or around C:/users/YOURNAME/App Data/Roaming/Poser/10 and then start Poser and see if it will start....

Post edited by WandW on
  • Thanks for your comment, WandW. Any tips on how I should rename them?

--MW

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited January 2016

Hi.

As the crashing started yesterday it sounds like you have the same problem as many of us, it was caused by a Microsoft update patch fix thing for Flash that is causing Poser 10 to crash.

You will need to uninstall KB3132372 and if you're using Windows 10 Home run the 'Show or Hide update trouble shooter' that you can download from Microsoft, which can be found here - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

There is a thread at runtime dna if you need more details, it's a bit long for me to type it all here lol -  http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?103122-Poser-Pro-2014-crashes-on-startup

Post edited by adzan on
  • ModernWizardModernWizard Posts: 850
    edited January 2016

adzan -- thanks for the tip...checking it out now...

--MW

EDIT: It worked! Poser is back! Thanks, adzan! No thanks to you, MicroStinks...

Post edited by ModernWizard on
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,771

Charles Taylor (nerd3d), the Poser Product Manager posted this over at R'osity.  Unfortunately the fix he cites works only on PP2014, not Poser 10....

So you all know Smith Micro is in contact with Microsoft on this issue. This is a security patch so if you do remove the patch you need to increase your internet security os require that scripts ask permission before running. That or don't use IE to browse the web.

If you have Poser Pro 2014 you can switch to the external library. It does not use Flash so it will run. To do this you will have to edit the Poser INI file (Poser Prefs on Mac). Edit the INI file with a text editor (notepad). Don't use Word. This trick only works for Poser Pro. Poser's ini file lives here:

Windows %AppData%RoamingPoser Pro. Mac HD > Users > (username) > Library > Application Support > Poser Pro > 10

Look for a line:

LIBRARY_IS_AIR 0

Change it to:

LIBRARY_IS_AIR 1

Save the file

Once again we're working with MS for a fix.

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited January 2016
    WandW said:

Charles Taylor (nerd3d), the Poser Product Manager posted this over at R'osity.  Unfortunately the fix he cites works only on PP2014, not Poser 10....

So you all know Smith Micro is in contact with Microsoft on this issue. This is a security patch so if you do remove the patch you need to increase your internet security os require that scripts ask permission before running. That or don't use IE to browse the web.

If you have Poser Pro 2014 you can switch to the external library. It does not use Flash so it will run. To do this you will have to edit the Poser INI file (Poser Prefs on Mac). Edit the INI file with a text editor (notepad). Don't use Word. This trick only works for Poser Pro. Poser's ini file lives here:

Windows %AppData%RoamingPoser Pro. Mac HD > Users > (username) > Library > Application Support > Poser Pro > 10

Look for a line:

LIBRARY_IS_AIR 0

Change it to:

LIBRARY_IS_AIR 1

Save the file

Once again we're working with MS for a fix.

I was also able to run 2014 using the embeded library, which I prefer to the external one, so anyone who doesn't want to remove the Microsoft Flash update could also use that one until Microsoft and SM come up with a fix

So the change would be as above but change

LIBRARY_EMBEDDED_TYPE 0

to

LIBRARY_EMBEDDED_TYPE 1

Post edited by adzan on
  • jimlinjimlin Posts: 146

flash update which fixes problem now availablefrom  windows update

• I have poser 10 on windows 10 and I am still not able to use my software and I just bought it.
    I can't get past the load screen with the lady smiling.
    I wish I could at least play around with the morph tool it looks fun.
    If anyone can help I'll so appreciate it ^_^;