Contest~~Because I Said So!~~December 2015

Comments

• I got inspired last night or I was just too tired to realize that I should have been in bed.  Anyway, I came up with what I think is a picture to enter into the contest.  I haven't looked at it yet this morning with fresh eyes.  I'm sure I'll have to tweak some stuff and render again.  But last night, it looked great.  I'm running with the "Yep, there's no place like home for the holidays." theme. We'll see how it goes.

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

I got inspired last night or I was just too tired to realize that I should have been in bed.  Anyway, I came up with what I think is a picture to enter into the contest.  I haven't looked at it yet this morning with fresh eyes.  I'm sure I'll have to tweak some stuff and render again.  But last night, it looked great.  I'm running with the "Yep, there's no place like home for the holidays." theme. We'll see how it goes.

I also started on a render yesterday, inspired by that quote. Going for cozy, cute and cuddly rather than comedy. I hope it turns out ok.

• isidorn said:

I got inspired last night or I was just too tired to realize that I should have been in bed.  Anyway, I came up with what I think is a picture to enter into the contest.  I haven't looked at it yet this morning with fresh eyes.  I'm sure I'll have to tweak some stuff and render again.  But last night, it looked great.  I'm running with the "Yep, there's no place like home for the holidays." theme. We'll see how it goes.

I also started on a render yesterday, inspired by that quote. Going for cozy, cute and cuddly rather than comedy. I hope it turns out ok.

I'm sure it will.  I really like your renders.  Can't wait to see it.

I like showing what products I've used because I think the PA's deserve that and I wouldn't be able to make my renders without their products. But I'm also lazy and linking items in a forum post is a bit tedious when there's a long list to make. So I'm wondering, as listing additional products is optional, would it suffice to instead just post a link to the image in my gallery, where the products are easier to list?

Or would a gallery link be unfair advertising of the render? (not sure what to call it, my english fails me)

isidorn said:

I'm sure it will.  I really like your renders.  Can't wait to see it.

Thanks Knittingmommy, you're too kind! Now I've showed mine. Time for you to show yours! laugh (Contest entry, that is. Might be best to clarify that)

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

Isidorn, clever how you put yourself in your contest entry! laugh

isidorn.jpg
    323 x 184 - 13K
  • AtiAti Posts: 9,078
    RGcincy said:

And all the award-winning bots on the upper shelf. ;)

edited December 2015
    RGcincy said:

Haha! Nicely spotted! And yes it is the same duck I have for forum avatar. I used to have it as some kind of signature in some of my earlier renders, but I kept forgetting to put it in so I gave up on the idea. But I thought it would fit here so there it is. :)

Ati said:
    RGcincy said:

And all the award-winning bots on the upper shelf. ;)

I thought they deserved some more exposure. They'll be starring in my next entry too, if all goes according to plan.

Post edited by isidorn on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    isidorn said:

I like showing what products I've used because I think the PA's deserve that and I wouldn't be able to make my renders without their products. But I'm also lazy and linking items in a forum post is a bit tedious when there's a long list to make. So I'm wondering, as listing additional products is optional, would it suffice to instead just post a link to the image in my gallery, where the products are easier to list?

Or would a gallery link be unfair advertising of the render? (not sure what to call it, my english fails me

I'd prefer links not divert folks off the thread. That said, if you want to do a link to your gallery that has the other products listed, that's fine IF it is a target_blank that they X out of and stay on this thread. (You do that in the link icon that looks like a chain, you'll have a dropdown where you'll see it.

And knittingmommy, would love for you to participate. We appreciate you voting every time and supporting the artists! smiley

I'm going to be offline the rest of the evening, so I'm not ignoring anyone who posts and doesn't hear from me. The ranch is having the Christmas party tonight. 

• isidorn said:
    Thanks Knittingmommy, you're too kind! Now I've showed mine. Time for you to show yours! laugh (Contest entry, that is. Might be best to clarify that)

I was right.  Stellar entry.  I love it. 

winkYes, time to show you mine.  I've posted to the entry thread.  I hope I did it correctly.  I'm not completely happy with the lighting, but something I have going on in there keeps crashing DAZ so I was lucky this render completely rendered out.  It will have to do.  I had fun making it though.

isidorn said:

I was right.  Stellar entry.  I love it. 

winkYes, time to show you mine.  I've posted to the entry thread.  I hope I did it correctly.  I'm not completely happy with the lighting, but something I have going on in there keeps crashing DAZ so I was lucky this render completely rendered out.  It will have to do.  I had fun making it though.

Thanks Knittingmommy!

I foresee a bright future in the home decorating/stylist business for Skyler. smiley And more cute robots. Good one! When kids are playing around a box with the nuclear symbol on it, they sure can need some nicely decorated robots. laugh

Knittingmommy- how clever! That bot looks like it has the patience of a saint. Very sweet and wonderful attention to details! Yes, you did it correctly with one exception- only put the top three products above the render, and then it's optional (but most of the participants do it) to put the rest of the products linked under the render. That way, we avoid too much clutter above the image. If you can make that change, would appreciate it! So glad to have you participating, it's adorable! 

And isidorn, the duck on the shelf is very clever too. I know from past experience, loading up shelves and those little touches take a lot of time. People take it for granted until they do it the first time! 

• Novica said:

Knittingmommy- how clever! That bot looks like it has the patience of a saint. Very sweet and wonderful attention to details! Yes, you did it correctly with one exception- only put the top three products above the render, and then it's optional (but most of the participants do it) to put the rest of the products linked under the render. That way, we avoid too much clutter above the image. If you can make that change, would appreciate it! So glad to have you participating, it's adorable! 

That patient look is exactly why I chose this particular bot for this render.  I love TheAntFarm bots.  They always have so much character.  I fixed my entry with the top three products at the top and the rest at the bottom. 

Novica said:

And isidorn, the duck on the shelf is very clever too. I know from past experience, loading up shelves and those little touches take a lot of time. People take it for granted until they do it the first time! 

Yes, I've taken the time to fill shelves like that, too, and while it does take a bit of time deciding what to put and where, it certainly does add to the final outcome of the render.  I think Isidorn did an excellent job.

isidorn said:

Thanks Knittingmommy!

I foresee a bright future in the home decorating/stylist business for Skyler. smiley And more cute robots. Good one! When kids are playing around a box with the nuclear symbol on it, they sure can need some nicely decorated robots. laugh

Hmm, gives me ideas for future renders.  smileyI love the cute robots.  I liked decorating AB3K, but I also loved setting up the C.I.A.M.U. robot in the back two decorating the tree.  I will have to do more robot renders in the future because this one was fun.  laughAs for the crate with the nuclear symbol.  I thought it added something to the mix.  I wasn't sure if anyone else would pick up on that or not.  Good catch.

While my new entry was rendering I added links to the additional products used in my first entry. I realized that here on the forum I can make the list even better than in the gallery, even though it takes a bit more work. I'll complete the product list in my new entry too, at a later time.

I still haven't begun the work on the render I originally had in mind. I keep getting distracted by all the new shinies in the store... The grocery pack gave the idea for this 2nd entry and now I want to jump onto AntFarms new Sci-fi med-bed that instantly gave me ideas ... Don't think that will be "Because I said so" entries though.

LOL, the cat pawing the food is a cute lil detail!!!! I love the dialog too! 

• Nice render, Isidorn.  I'm wondering, though, what kind of cook needs a fire extinguisher that big in the kitchen.  laugh

Nice render, Isidorn.  I'm wondering, though, what kind of cook needs a fire extinguisher that big in the kitchen.  laugh

LOL- ME!!!!! I can burn boiling water...

Nice render, Isidorn.  I'm wondering, though, what kind of cook needs a fire extinguisher that big in the kitchen.  laugh

It's not only big, judging by the worn look it has also seen a lot of use.laugh But I think pretty much everything in the scene suggests that this couple might not be stellar cooks.wink

isidorn said:

But I think pretty much everything in the scene suggests that this couple might not be stellar cooks.wink

Especially that box of cereal in the pot...or the poor kitty looking at its dinner

Folks, I wanted to give you a heads up in advance, I have to either end the contest after this one, or do it as a non-prize contest. Two pets have been diagnosed with chronic illnesses requiring blood monitoring/lab work, one a few weeks ago, the second one diagnosed a few days ago. One cat was diagnosed with diabetes and the other thyroid/multiple problems, and some other things have come up as well and sadly this isn't practical now or anytime soon. (Vet bill Wednesday was $385 for lab tests, vet visit/exam, and meds. For ONE cat. Vet visits on-going for bloodwork panels.)  

I took advantage of the 20% off gift cards (stacked with promo discount)  and this contest is covered so I do NOT need donations, please don't worry or offer, the answer is no thank you.  I got a gift card for me at that time, in hindsight that was a good choice although I would not have gotten it had I known about multiple kitties being sick. (Sigh, and I have a senior dog.) 

The support from Ken was amazing (thanks again!) but I don't want people having to contribute (particularly $50, very generous!) to have it sponsored. FirstBastion offered his store two consecutive months, with lots of prizes, so I feel good that you folks had opportunity for those wonderful products. If you want to have it continue without prizes, let me know and I'll be happy to run it, we have some fun statements that haven't been used yet. But I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't give input and say "Yeah, keep it going!" if you have no intention of rendering for it. Everyone has a lot of opportunities with other contests so there's absolutely no hard feelings if you do or don't want to participate if it's not sponsored. wink I was originally going to do the contest for a few months, not year-long anyway, and I can always possibly kick it back into gear for a month sometime later next year. 

• GopherusGopherus Posts: 1,103

If you ve got time after your duties as a "soccer mom" for your pets, then why not  "Yeah, keep it going!"

The challenge of making renders is enjoyable in itself and i will try to make a posting or two.

I'm fine with hosting a for-the-fun-of-it contest, had some really clever statements (by you guys) coming up! I might even render a few (look out world.) We'll see what everyone thinks. Different time zones haven't surfed in yet. Thanks for the input!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    Novica said:

Folks, I wanted to give you a heads up in advance, I have to either end the contest after this one, or do it as a non-prize contest. Two pets have been diagnosed with chronic illnesses requiring blood monitoring/lab work, one a few weeks ago, the second one diagnosed a few days ago. One cat was diagnosed with diabetes and the other thyroid/multiple problems, and some other things have come up as well and sadly this isn't practical now or anytime soon. (Vet bill Wednesday was $385 for lab tests, vet visit/exam, and meds. For ONE cat. Vet visits on-going for bloodwork panels.)  

I took advantage of the 20% off gift cards (stacked with promo discount)  and this contest is covered so I do NOT need donations, please don't worry or offer, the answer is no thank you.  I got a gift card for me at that time, in hindsight that was a good choice although I would not have gotten it had I known about multiple kitties being sick. (Sigh, and I have a senior dog.) 

The support from Ken was amazing (thanks again!) but I don't want people having to contribute (particularly $50, very generous!) to have it sponsored. FirstBastion offered his store two consecutive months, with lots of prizes, so I feel good that you folks had opportunity for those wonderful products. If you want to have it continue without prizes, let me know and I'll be happy to run it, we have some fun statements that haven't been used yet. But I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't give input and say "Yeah, keep it going!" if you have no intention of rendering for it. Everyone has a lot of opportunities with other contests so there's absolutely no hard feelings if you do or don't want to participate if it's not sponsored. wink I was originally going to do the contest for a few months, not year-long anyway, and I can always possibly kick it back into gear for a month sometime later next year. 

sorry to hear about the wee ones - hope they are on the mend now .

Hugs

Thanks bigh- unfortunately, they are 14-17 years old (inherited from my father-in-law when he died, I had promised him I would take his cats) so they are going downhill. As long as they are pain-free I'll medicate and assist. They've had wonderful, pampered lives so all's good, no regrets, I feel good about any decisions that are coming up. Hopefully a few months left, Exactly a year ago is when I had to put my himalayan Charlotte to sleep (on my Art Studio thread, posted her picture, with the huge blue eyes and long cream colored fur)  the first week of December, and likewise my dog Vanish Dec.23rd. So I'm really not wanting a repeat exactly a year later, or I'm going to start hating December.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

I hope your lil fur babies are going to be okies Novica!!

I love this challenge even if there is no prizes.

I would still do a render or 2 for it for just the laughes it gets.

I also love seeing others renders as such it makes my whole day laugh

OT That gives me an idea- would anyone like a holiday thread where we post our pet pictures and anyone with special effects can Photoshop/Blender/whatever them? They'd make great holiday presents for other people or for yourself. I'm doing my great-nephews when they come to town next week, taking to Office Depot and blowing up as a poster for my sister (their grandma.)  It would be something nice the forum members could do for those who don't have those plug-ins readily available, but not sure what the interest level would be. 

Sorry to hear about your pets Novica. Even though I don't have any of my own I've assisted my sister with old cats and vet visits (taking her cats there) so I'm familiar with the costs of that and have total understanding if this eats up your planned budget for this contest.

I participated in the two first contests without any expectations to win anything, so I'll happily continue even if there's no prizes for future ones. Seeing my renders get comments here in this thread is a great reward in itself. And if a sponsor steps up for a contest then it's a great bonus and if not, it's still fun to see everyones creativeness.

• Sorry to hear about the furbabies, Novica.  Been there and done that with my Keeshound.  16 years old.  Once they get to that age, they sometimes seem to start going downhill fast.  Sometimes the best you can do is keep them comfy.

I know I only did an entry in this month's contest, but I only did it because I got inspired by the previous months' entries and the statement I did for this month.  I didn't enter to win a prize.  I say, go for it another month or two and see how it goes without prizes.  I entered because it was fun and I was kind of looking forward to next month's statements to see what sparked my imagination.  I had tons of fun making my entry for this month.  I know I will try next month and see what I can come up with regardless of whether there is a prize or not.  It has definitely been a fun contest to follow.

Okay, we're still on then. You folks give it some thought and we'll decide whether you even want it as a voting contest, or as a render thread only without voting. Either is fine with me. 

So sorry to hear about your pets. Hopefully they both do well with their new treatments. You were very generous to fund your contest to begin with, hopefully we can sustain it just for the fun of it.

edited December 2015

Glad to see you used a Shape Magic prop Sasje! I used a few myself in the entry I just posted. Hopefully a few others will as well.   

Post edited by RGcincy on