Bryce to Daz studio?

Is it possible to do a landscape scene in bryce and then export it to Daz and continue to work on the scene in Daz?  I tried to find another thread on this but couldn't find anything.  although I got severely sidetracked and learned lots of other stuff about bryce while I was looking lol.  Didn't understand all of it but I am sure that will come.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

It was originally envisaged that the bridge would be used in the opposite direction. Prepare your figures in DS and then transfer them to a Bryce environement to render.  The return path is there in case you need to tweak your pose etc.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069

Landscapes, terrains, in Bryce are height maps, greyscale pictures with the height bright and the low lands dark, like the USGS digital elevation maps (DEM). Studio uses meshes for terrains. Bryce can export height maps as meshes that can be imported in Studio. However, if you want a good resolution, the meshes come at a very high memory footprint. Height maps are much more efficient. By the way, Carrara also uses height maps.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Okay was just curious if it worked both way.  One other question.  I see numerous posts about xfrog and other objects loaded to bryce.  Will the .obj format work and if it does, which folder does it go in?  I know the .opb files are objects in Bryce but don't see anyplace to put any of the formats that xfrog comes in.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I keep my OBJ in a folder on one of my haed drives, and import as I need them. Only when it is something that I may use often do I aimport it into my Preset library. Once you have added an OBJ to your presets it becomes an opb and retains it's textures. So you need to make sure that it textured correctly before adding it to your preset library

Makes sense. So i can put them in a folder on my desktop that says plant objects and if I want to use one of them I would just import it into the scene.  That sounds like the easiest way to go since I have no idea yet how to make sure they are textured correctly lol.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

I'll point out that Daz can do height map terrain, too, in the form of displacement.

Mind you, I don't think it does it terribly well, at least in Iray -- I find by the time I up subdivision enough to make the land look like land, my computer is choking.

Sonja - Depending on the plant/tree, there is often some work involved. Many of the leaves are pictures with alpha and those must set to blend transparency. Leaves that are meshes don't need that. I import the tree, adjust the materials and save it to an object library. Next time I need one, I can get it from the library and can use it directly.

Will - Thank you for the information that Studio can do height maps. If it does use them for displacement, that means internal conversion to a mesh, I suppose.

Horo said:

Sonja - Depending on the plant/tree, there is often some work involved. Many of the leaves are pictures with alpha and those must set to blend transparency. Leaves that are meshes don't need that. I import the tree, adjust the materials and save it to an object library. Next time I need one, I can get it from the library and can use it directly.

Will - Thank you for the information that Studio can do height maps. If it does use them for displacement, that means internal conversion to a mesh, I suppose.

Thank you.  So much to learn!  But I'm making headway lol.

I'll point out that Daz can do height map terrain, too, in the form of displacement.

Mind you, I don't think it does it terribly well, at least in Iray -- I find by the time I up subdivision enough to make the land look like land, my computer is choking.

I believe that!

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,602

I've run into this problem with Iray as well. 3Delight is clever enough to do displacements at a higher resolution than the mesh but Iray can't do this. I've got a nice fantasy altar prop that uses displacement maps to add inscriptions in the stones. It works fine in 3Delight but in Iray if I increase the subdivision enough to see the inscriptions, Daz Studio crashes during the render.

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

So you can't make a landscape in bryce, export as obj (convert to fbx?) and then import in daz and then mess with it for iray?

edited September 2018

akmerlow - yes you can. Assuming you have a terrain and also a material applied to it. Select the terrain and open the Terrain Editor (TE) by clicking on the E. In the TE click on the down arrow on top of the Terrain Canvas and click on Export. Select the file type (e.g. Wavefront OBJ Files (*obj) (Mesh Export)) and give the file a name. The Export Terrain dialogue opens and you can select Grid or Adaptive Triangulation, set the number of Polygons and the size. Additionally an image map can be created from the materials applied to the terrain and this map can be exported into several different image file formats.

Post edited by Horo on
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Good to know, thanks.