DAZ Studio Pro 4.7.0.12, General Release, Now Available!

1192021222325»

Comments

• Why would you want 4.7 anyway? 4.8 Is a much better version.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

I hated 4.8 and uninstalled it and was lucky enough to still have a copy of 4.7 to reinstall, but that's besides the point. lol.

• Not sure what is going on here but some of the comments indicate that the posting person is behind the times! 4.9 Pro will likely be released in the next month or two. People here are still talking about 4.7? I'm confused!

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

Some people didn't like 4.8, and I doubt I'll make the switch to 4.9, either. Lots of people still use DS3, for that matter.

• Some people didn't like 4.8, and I doubt I'll make the switch to 4.9, either. Lots of people still use DS3, for that matter.

I'm in the Wayback machine; thought this was an announcement that 4.9 was out of beta. :))

To each their own; this is like any other software/version discussion and "never the twain shall meet".  It all depends upon what you are trying to achieve.

Perhaps if BOYD77KERRY would give details on the issues he or she is having with 4.8 then the many wonderful people on this forum could help.  To just denounce a software version without the "why" will not move you forward.

• What do you mean by PRO VERSION?

• What do you mean by PRO VERSION?

At this time 4.9 is still in the Beta stage, inwhich the software is being tested by certain users (myself not included). The Pro version will be a fairly stable build that is an improvement over 4.8 and earlier, I hope! According to what I have been hearing from around the internet, there will be some bug fixes and a few improvements to several features. Of course like its predecessors, there will likely be updates that further hone the smoothness of its operations and features. Pro Version just means it is the most complete version for public use available!

• To me there is no Pro version it went out with DS 4.00 when it all went free, we had to pay for the pro version in DS3 it had a standard one to and it was free with no rigging tools. So now I'm think there is only one version that is the same though out. The Beta is just for testing nothing else.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575

I hated 4.8 and uninstalled it and was lucky enough to still have a copy of 4.7 to reinstall, but that's besides the point. lol.

...I wish I would have saved the 4.6 installer because 4.7 broke the AoA Atmospheric and Graphic Art cameras as well as SSS flagging with the Advanced Lights.

• To me there is no Pro version it went out with DS 4.00 when it all went free, we had to pay for the pro version in DS3 it had a standard one to and it was free with no rigging tools. So now I'm think there is only one version that is the same though out. The Beta is just for testing nothing else.

I can understand your view; however they are tacking on the Pro to the name, and I think when you look at all the stuff that it has available to the user, it is much better now than the old DS 3 Advanced, which as I seem to recall was the last version of Pro that had a cost. As you say, 4.0 was free and it was a learning edition, as they indicated. Now, when a new build is released, there always seems to be something new about it, such as the Iray render engine that is included for the first time with the current version. The last Pro version that had a cost would not even be considered Pro now. I'm just surprised we are still in the 4.x series, even after five years since 4.0. Wow, has it been that long? Man how time flies! LOL

• I guess Pro sounds better than standard version it's more a marketing thing. But making it free has really pulled people in, so good marketing on their part. Well 5.0 can't be that far away they are running out of numbers Lol !

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    kyoto kid said:

...I wish I would have saved the 4.6 installer because 4.7 broke the AoA Atmospheric and Graphic Art cameras as well as SSS flagging with the Advanced Lights.

do we know if and when this will be fixed?

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

There were three versions of DS3 - Free, Advanced and Pro. Each "higher" version could do a bit more than the "lower end" one.

For example things that are necessary for figure creation (rigging, weightmapping and so on) were not available in the versions below Pro.

Then there were three versions of DS4 - Free, Advanced and Pro (with upgrade prices from DS3).

Then Daz3d decided to  make the DS4 Pro version free and dumped the free and advanced versions.

So the DazStudio 4 "Pro" has it's historical reasons.

edited December 2015
    Szark said:
    kyoto kid said:

do we know if and when this will be fixed?

...I'm beginning to get the sinking feeling that it will not happen (unless someone steps up and writes the necessary scripts) as AoA has not been in the best of health recently, and many have jumped on the Iray bandwagon.

We already have the AtmoCam as well as improvements in SSS handling for Iray  Sad though because I really liked the effects and rendering speed of the Advanced lights.

Just finished a pic in Iray that took over 9 hours.  The same pic with the AoA Advanced lights and Nerd3D's Fog Tool took about three and a half.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

Thanks. I sent a PM do Dimension Theroy some months ago asking if AOA was ok and he said yeah he is getting back in to the swing of things. The burning question is does AOA know about the issues?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited December 2015
    Szark said:

Thanks. I sent a PM do Dimension Theroy some months ago asking if AOA was ok and he said yeah he is getting back in to the swing of things. The burning question is does AOA know about the issues?

I know multiple users have written bug reports on these AoA product issues. I have not received any informative status response to my bug report. AoA has released new products since the issues were identified and reported, so he is still active at Daz. I can only conclude that Daz and AoA choose not to acknowledge or address the issues. Daz continues to sell the products with no indication on the product page that they don't fully work in the recent versions of Daz Studio and in fact states that they are compatible with DS 4.8. I hold out no hope of a fix at this point.
    Post edited by barbult on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

There was a fix posted for most of the problems...but to truly fix it, the work needs ot be done before it is packaged.  It's because some bricks in ShaderMixer changed.

edited December 2015

..well for the Graphic Art cameras there is a fix, sort of, if you are technically minded and know your way around the Shader Mixer. However it isn't a universal one as you have to do it for every effect.

Outside of having a good understanding of how to script and work with the RSL, I don't see there being an easy fix for the SSS flagging issue with the Advanced Lights or fixing the Vignette and Tone effects for the Atmospheric Cameras.

So it's either back to long render times with UE or moving on the Iray.

• I guess Pro sounds better than standard version it's more a marketing thing. But making it free has really pulled people in, so good marketing on their part. Well 5.0 can't be that far away they are running out of numbers Lol !

I know what you mean there. As it is for me at this time I might just stick with 4.8 until 5.0 is ready for download. It all depends on how well 4.9 is doing as to whether Iwill get it or not. My computer is not as powerful as I'd like, so whether I can get a more powerful one or not will also determine how much further into the builds I can get.

The DIM is something I've had since it was in beta testing, and I have upgraded every time one was available. I try to do the same with DAZ Studio, but this Iray render engine seems to hate my computer. It's a laptop and the Nvidia GC is not able to be installed in it. So it goes to the i3 processor and that overheats too quickly to complete even a small and simple image using Iray. So I hope that the 3Delight render engine is not done away with any time soon.

• OK . . . NOW I DON'T KNOW WHY . . . BUT . . . NONE OF THE PICTURES I MADE WITH DAZ 4.7 PRO WILL LOAD IN DAZ 4.8 . . . OR 4.9 . . . AND I DOWNLOADED LOTS OF PRODUCTS AS WELL . . . AND THEY SEEMED TO HAVE DISAPPEARED ALSO . . . IT SEEMS TO ME THAT DAZ KEEPS CREATING THESE PROGRAMS . . . BUT THEY FORGET SOMETHING AND IT AFFECTS THE OTHER VERSIONS . . . TO THE POINT THAT WE CAN'T USE WHAT WE HAVE IN THE NEW VERSIONS . . . AND IT TOOK ME A LOT OF TIME TO LEARN HOW TO USE DAZ 4.7 . . . I DON'T WANT TO WASTE TIME LEARNING HOW TO USE ANOTHER PROGRAM . . . ALL OVER AGAIN WHEN THE VERSION I HAD WORKED JUST FINE .

• Angry much?

Sounds like the content database just needs to be recreated. It's fairly easy to do and if I remember correctly, it's something I had to do when 4.8 came out. I've had to do it from time to time as the smart content window loses track sometimes. There's also a bit of lag if you have a really large library.

I've found both 4.8 and 4.9 to behave pretty much the same. There are some differences and 4.9 had a few bugs, but it's not released as a final client yet, just beta, so bugs are to be expected.

As far as the constant updates go, it's not going to stop any time soon. People want more features and more optons and more and more... Software is going to be constantly evolving. The nature of the complexity of the code makes it impossible to keep it bug free. Daz seems to attack the bugs pretty quickly for the most part. Can't say the same for some plugins or other items that break, but that's up to them, not Daz. I have issues with Daz not updating Hexagon and especially Bryce, it's still 32-bit and won't work on an Intel Mac at all, but as far as Studio goes, I've been happy with it. Not a fan of Iray due to the demands on my computer, but if I want to continue to make the best artwork possible and improve my craft, I'll have to move with the times as well.

As bad as it might be, get used to it. It's not going to get better if you don't like change. That's the only constant... it always evolves and changes.

..is 4.9 out of the beta stage?

• kyoto kid said:

..is 4.9 out of the beta stage?

At this time it is still in beta! I know this because it has not yet been added to my downloads in the DIM. Once it is released as a stable version it will be added, just as it has since i first got the DIM.

•  It's still beta as of today. It will probably go live pretty soon though. Their last update fixed a 3Dlight render bug I was having.

edited December 2015

...haven't DL'd the Beta yet as until a couple weeks ago did not have Net access from the workstation.  Then I was reading about a number of of issues, particularly with Autofit, that were occurring and figured I'd just let it continue to "simmer" for a while longer. 

Been wrestling with figuring out how to modify the one G3F skin tone I have (Josie 7) for Iray as I cannot use any old skins I have, while still hoping for a G3 Skin Builder update release that also works with Iray.