Random Idea about Properties

When making a character, I often forget some details that are hard to figure out later, like hair color can be hard to track down on strand based hair. I've been thinking about adding string properties to my characters to hold this kind of data. Are there any downsides to this I'm unable to imagine at the moment? I figure just go into Edit Mode on the parameters tab and add a string property:

(I haven't hit Create yet.)

I'm using string here because I'm talking about capturing the preset name, for example, AK Layered Bob Hair Color 13 Regent Grey.

I was considering doing this with empty group nodes. Just set the name and make it a child of the hair. But a node is far more heavy weight than a property.

Anyone else do something like this?

Comments

  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 111,816

    I can't see why it would be a problem, though it isn't soemthing I've tried. I have, however, added properties in my script to toggle smoothing on/off (to record the settings it has actually changed) so the general principle is good.

  • GordigGordig Posts: 10,819

    jmucchiello said:

    hair color can be hard to track down on strand based hair

     

     

    I'm not really sure what you mean by that. If you're working within a scene, it's easy to just copy the surface settings of a piece of strand-based hair and copy them to another. If you're trying to keep a character's hair color consistent between scenes, I don't see what benefit this offers over a scene subset or shader preset. 

  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,446

    Gordig said:

    I'm not really sure what you mean by that. If you're working within a scene, it's easy to just copy the surface settings of a piece of strand-based hair and copy them to another. If you're trying to keep a character's hair color consistent between scenes, I don't see what benefit this offers over a scene subset or shader preset. 

    I like to know what assets are in use. Copying the shader doesn't tell me the name. I have character figures that exist in 100s of scene files. Making sure they are consistent isn't easy.

Sign In or Register to comment.