When did DAZ move to Norway?
hjake
Posts: 1,346
in The Commons
When I visit the DAZ site, it is often through my VPN with its server in Toronto. Even if it was just a virtual server I feel pretty confident the root server would be in the Americas since the VPN host is in Panama. However, the DAZ site thinks I am in Norway. So maybe DAZ secretly moved to Norway last month. I have noticed a plethora of Nordic content recently. I think it is a conspiracy by DAZ to get all of us to speak Norwegian!

Comments
I've just seen the same message and I am in France.
A sign from the ancestors to learn the language of my forebearers!
I wonder if Rose Nylund (from the Golden Girls) can be my tutor. Hours and hours and hours of St. Olaf stories!
Norway? No way
see what I did there
I use a VPN most of the time and Google often thinks I am in Iran when I search for something. But I am NOT in Iran and thus NOT in Teheran!
You say that but I find you hard to see!
I remember Rose. She started a year after me. I was one of the first when we changed to a college in 1890.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Olaf_College
I think Firefox tries to figure out what language to use based on what it reads from the webpage. I don't think it has anything to do with a VPN. It often thinks my own webpages should be translated from some other language to my own.
Probably because I tend to mumble in Norwegian Norse while I web browse
DHTML/CSS/XML foobar (I think)
<html lang="en-US"> <-- what was used when your granny started surfing, netscape was the world's fav browser and there was only html... and it still works (if you wanna be international, then just "en")
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> <-- What Daz site is using... so the last bit would work okay but I think the xml:lang isn't intended for use in the HTML tag (more the <a> tag) and so is getting these new-fangled multi-media, AI enhanced browsers into a bit of a tizzy
(It's been some time since I handcoded html in notepad ... so there's half a reasonable chance it's not!)
It's to be expected when you code in XHTML and don't tell the browser that you are, while XHTML is compatible it's also a lot stricter so it needs to be coded right or the browser can have a brain fart when it hits something it wasn't expecting.
EDIT
It's morning and I'm more awake, had a look at the code for this page and it's in HTML, except for the second line which is a bit confused.
Should really just read <html lang="en">, you only need the "xmlns" if your coding in XHTML, same for the "xml:lang" as that is usually part of an element in the body of the page.
...applogies but....
FInland FInland FInland, it's The country for me.
Or they could be like the Norwegian Blue (beautiful plumage) and are simply pining for the fjords. .