There's Always Another Sale Thread -- Discussions Only Pt 6

1…596061626365»

Comments

  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 9,960

    jmucchiello said:

    kyoto kid said:

    ...does anyone understand what the V3D Scene Tools are really supposed to do that you can't already do yourself?

    I say this (to myself) about every lighting product. I remember buying them when I didn't know better. But once I learned how to make a ghost light without looking for a cheat sheet, I didn't need them any more.  But for new users, these kinds of tools give them the information about what is possible. I wouldn't have thought to ask about ghost lights before seeing them mentioned in the store, for example. The camera products that put IRAY section nodes into scenes are also unnecessary except how do you know that's a thing unless you stumble across them?

    That said, there are a couple of script in V3D Scene Tools that are scripts (perhaps previously available separately by various scripters) that aren't simple to do without a script:

    • "Add a focal point" - puts a null at the camera's focal point. Parenting stuff to that null or using the null to reaim the camera later is great.
    • "Center selected on camera axis" - moves stuff into frame
    • "Fuse compatible instance groups" - Sure you can move stuff yourself. It's a convenience.
    • "Sort nodes by weight" - renames nodes so they are ordered by vertex count descending. (And there's a script to put the old names back). I haven't tried this one yet but it sounds like it might be useful some day.

    There's a whole framing system I might never use or I might. Not sure. It looks like it could be helpful.

    The camera lock/unlock are also a convenience scripts.

    Restore tone mapper/environment objects save one or two clicks. YMMV.

    Exactly.  A large percentage of the script/utilities made for DAZ Studio aren't made to do things that can't be done otherwise, but rather exist simply to simplify and /or automate a procedutre or allow one to do something without interupting your current workflow... And, of course, given how out of date the dDS manuals are, often they're the only way that one can find out that these tricks are even possible. Personally, I find the biggest benefit is simply the amount of time that they can save while working, and I have some utilities that I bought just to see what they couldn do that have since become things I use with every single render.      

  • XelloszXellosz Posts: 855

    Today's Golden item

    Close but there are differences with Castle Black from Game of Thrones https://www.daz3d.com/frostwatch-bastion. Probably good mix with https://www.daz3d.com/the-knights-castle

  • donniekeidicdonniekeidic Posts: 200
    edited September 30

    so whats the consensus, is Daz going to extend it a few more days, or will it just go right into the PA+ Anniversary Sale? 

    AI predicts it will start on either the 5th or the 12th (a monday)

    Post edited by donniekeidic on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 41,673

    Elor said:

    WendyLuvsCatz said:

    being a DO, they already got paid, so don't feel guilty either yes 

    DO stands for Daz Originals?

    I don't know if PAs are paid by Daz to offer a product as a Golden Ticket, but V3D Scene Tools is not a Daz Originals:

    https://www.daz3d.com/v3d-scene-tools

    And I'll add that no one should feel guilty for not buying a product.

    my mistake blush 

  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,374

    donniekeidic said:

    so whats the consensus, is Daz going to extend it a few more days, or will it just go right into the PA+ Anniversary Sale? 

    Extend what?

  • jmucchiello said:

    donniekeidic said:

    so whats the consensus, is Daz going to extend it a few more days, or will it just go right into the PA+ Anniversary Sale? 

    Extend what?

    The September PA sale, is my guess. If so, it is hard to say. Daz often extends, especially when a month starts midweek - but just when we expect it, they don't. 

     

     

  • Xellosz said:

    Today's Golden item

    Close but there are differences with Castle Black from Game of Thrones https://www.daz3d.com/frostwatch-bastion. Probably good mix with https://www.daz3d.com/the-knights-castle

    I was wondering if it was a GoT clone, as I've never seen the show, only read some of the books. Is it enough different? (The short-lived Editorial License had many problems but it did provide a warning that something was based on an existing IP, because no one is familiar with all of them.)

  • edited September 30

    https://www.daz3d.com/hexaptera-magnus--blue-angel is from an SF series, per the store page, as are several other fantasy3dart products. I was thinking about it anyway, but it also looks more mechanical or like a sculpture, rather than the living creature it's supposed to be. So I am skipping the 99¢ D+ deal. 

    ***

    ETA: If you need men's clothing, Male3Imagery is on sale. Note that the https://www.daz3d.com/mi-military-dress-uniform-type-c-bundle ($3.20) is way cheaper than the G9 or G8/8.1 individual sets ($8.82 each) due to some stacking I can't figure out. Prices are with a GT & today's 30% off code. 

    Post edited by miladyderyni_173d399f47 on
  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,374

    miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

    jmucchiello said:

    donniekeidic said:

    so whats the consensus, is Daz going to extend it a few more days, or will it just go right into the PA+ Anniversary Sale? 

    Extend what?

    The September PA sale, is my guess. If so, it is hard to say. Daz often extends, especially when a month starts midweek - but just when we expect it, they don't. 

    Ah. I would doubt it only because the PA sale started nearly a week before September. But who knows.

  • davesodaveso Posts: 8,320

    miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

    https://www.daz3d.com/hexaptera-magnus--blue-angel is from an SF series, per the store page, as are several other fantasy3dart products. I was thinking about it anyway, but it also looks more mechanical or like a sculpture, rather than the living creature it's supposed to be. So I am skipping the 99¢ D+ deal. 

    ***

    ETA: If you need men's clothing, Male3Imagery is on sale. Note that the https://www.daz3d.com/mi-military-dress-uniform-type-c-bundle ($3.20) is way cheaper than the G9 or G8/8.1 individual sets ($8.82 each) due to some stacking I can't figure out. Prices are with a GT & today's 30% off code. 

     @miladyderyni_173d399f47 thanka for heads up on the clothes....yeah, way inexpensive. 

    Now I'm trying to figure out the best bang for buck. The 30% off coupon .. or right now there seems to be a couple of paths to take here to get max savings. As a DAZ+ member, it would be  good to take advantage of the $0.99 dale for 5 items, which also includes the new releases. I had the FREE item in my cart, but that jumped up to $0.99, so be careful there. With the required new debut and 5 DAZ+ items, the 5 items come to $2.33 each, (adding the debut to the dollar amount and dividing by 5. I think overall its still less than what you can get them most of the time, plus you have the new debut item, which I have a non-pale character with no breasts, for a change, https://www.daz3d.com/m3d-yanzhi-hd-for-genesis-9. oh yeah --you have to use a coupon to get the deal, so why it becomes necessary to do at least 2 transactions. 

     

  • kprkpr Posts: 475

    jmucchiello said:

    kyoto kid said:

    ...does anyone understand what the V3D Scene Tools are really supposed to do that you can't already do yourself?

    I say this (to myself) about every lighting product. I remember buying them when I didn't know better. But once I learned how to make a ghost light without looking for a cheat sheet, I didn't need them any more.  But for new users, these kinds of tools give them the information about what is possible. I wouldn't have thought to ask about ghost lights before seeing them mentioned in the store, for example. The camera products that put IRAY section nodes into scenes are also unnecessary except how do you know that's a thing unless you stumble across them?

    That said, there are a couple of script in V3D Scene Tools that are scripts (perhaps previously available separately by various scripters) that aren't simple to do without a script:

    • "Add a focal point" - puts a null at the camera's focal point. Parenting stuff to that null or using the null to reaim the camera later is great.
    • "Center selected on camera axis" - moves stuff into frame
    • "Fuse compatible instance groups" - Sure you can move stuff yourself. It's a convenience.
    • "Sort nodes by weight" - renames nodes so they are ordered by vertex count descending. (And there's a script to put the old names back). I haven't tried this one yet but it sounds like it might be useful some day.

    There's a whole framing system I might never use or I might. Not sure. It looks like it could be helpful.

    The camera lock/unlock are also a convenience scripts.

    Restore tone mapper/environment objects save one or two clicks. YMMV.

    Agree with this. It's possible to do manually much of what it does but this will do it quicker/easier (and for 2.99). The node-sort by weight is a great companion for their scene-optimizer and will be useful (esp for folks with lower VRAM) you've mentioned a couple of others - camera related - that will also get a lot of use. Prob the best of the GTs I bought smiley

  • XelloszXellosz Posts: 855

    miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

    jmucchiello said:

    donniekeidic said:

    so whats the consensus, is Daz going to extend it a few more days, or will it just go right into the PA+ Anniversary Sale? 

    Extend what?

    The September PA sale, is my guess. If so, it is hard to say. Daz often extends, especially when a month starts midweek - but just when we expect it, they don't. 

     

     

    Facebook ad said something about final week. But didn't paid too much attention to it.

  • XelloszXellosz Posts: 855

    miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

    Xellosz said:

    Today's Golden item

    Close but there are differences with Castle Black from Game of Thrones https://www.daz3d.com/frostwatch-bastion. Probably good mix with https://www.daz3d.com/the-knights-castle

    I was wondering if it was a GoT clone, as I've never seen the show, only read some of the books. Is it enough different? (The short-lived Editorial License had many problems but it did provide a warning that something was based on an existing IP, because no one is familiar with all of them.)

    Fan video about  Castle Black from Game of Thrones with picks from the movie,. There are differences vs frostwatch bastion: roofs vs no roofs, number of stairs, additional buildings, etc.. check the 0:06 and 9:00 from the video, Castle black is bigger,  It's the snow + boulders + basic layout that makes people think about it, if you mix it with other assets I'd say there shouldn't be any problem at all and you get winter buildings. Even as a stand alone there shouldn't be problem, but that's just my thinking.

  • XelloszXellosz Posts: 855

    daveso said:

    miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

    https://www.daz3d.com/hexaptera-magnus--blue-angel is from an SF series, per the store page, as are several other fantasy3dart products. I was thinking about it anyway, but it also looks more mechanical or like a sculpture, rather than the living creature it's supposed to be. So I am skipping the 99¢ D+ deal. 

    ***

    ETA: If you need men's clothing, Male3Imagery is on sale. Note that the https://www.daz3d.com/mi-military-dress-uniform-type-c-bundle ($3.20) is way cheaper than the G9 or G8/8.1 individual sets ($8.82 each) due to some stacking I can't figure out. Prices are with a GT & today's 30% off code. 

     @miladyderyni_173d399f47 thanka for heads up on the clothes....yeah, way inexpensive. 

    Now I'm trying to figure out the best bang for buck. The 30% off coupon .. or right now there seems to be a couple of paths to take here to get max savings. As a DAZ+ member, it would be  good to take advantage of the $0.99 dale for 5 items, which also includes the new releases. I had the FREE item in my cart, but that jumped up to $0.99, so be careful there. With the required new debut and 5 DAZ+ items, the 5 items come to $2.33 each, (adding the debut to the dollar amount and dividing by 5. I think overall its still less than what you can get them most of the time, plus you have the new debut item, which I have a non-pale character with no breasts, for a change, https://www.daz3d.com/m3d-yanzhi-hd-for-genesis-9. oh yeah --you have to use a coupon to get the deal, so why it becomes necessary to do at least 2 transactions. 

     

    Best deal / Cheapest: 

    20% off a Gift Card With a Debut New   (Debut new + Card + 5* daz+ for 0.99 each )

  • miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

    Xellosz said:

    Today's Golden item

    Close but there are differences with Castle Black from Game of Thrones https://www.daz3d.com/frostwatch-bastion. Probably good mix with https://www.daz3d.com/the-knights-cas

    I was wondering if it was a GoT clone, as I've never seen the show, only read some of the books. Is it enough different? (The short-lived Editorial License had many problems but it did provide a warning that something was based on an existing IP, because no one is familiar with all of them.)

    What is the pedestal i9n the middle of the courtyard? I never watched GoT

  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,374

    jmucchiello said:

    miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

    jmucchiello said:

    donniekeidic said:

    so whats the consensus, is Daz going to extend it a few more days, or will it just go right into the PA+ Anniversary Sale? 

    Extend what?

    The September PA sale, is my guess. If so, it is hard to say. Daz often extends, especially when a month starts midweek - but just when we expect it, they don't. 

    Ah. I would doubt it only because the PA sale started nearly a week before September. But who knows.

    Me of little faith, I guess. I was wrong.

     

  • alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,429

    it sort of started but nothings working unless you want to pay full price. 

     

  • XelloszXellosz Posts: 855

    Xellosz said:

    miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

    jmucchiello said:

    donniekeidic said:

    so whats the consensus, is Daz going to extend it a few more days, or will it just go right into the PA+ Anniversary Sale? 

    Extend what?

    The September PA sale, is my guess. If so, it is hard to say. Daz often extends, especially when a month starts midweek - but just when we expect it, they don't. 

     

     

    Facebook ad said something about final week. But didn't paid too much attention to it.

    Yeep, facebook ads didn't lie. .. We got 1 more week.

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 42,452

    ...as I expected, which, along with the upcoming D+ event, is why I let my D+ subscription auto renew.

  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 41,673

    if  they have a good offer for nonmembers to join, I might consider it

  • davesodaveso Posts: 8,320
    edited 1:27PM

    well, that answers that burining question, at least the one about extension.

    Post edited by daveso at
Sign In or Register to comment.