Shape Magic Models in Use

Comments

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950
    edited December 1969

Looks good. Well for me I really don't like smokes lol but they might come in handy sometimes for making some pictures.

For SMG I have to say that I am still very interested in using it and probably will need to try Hexagon though as I said I will need to learn how to make textures. My plans for now are to work trough summer, will probably have a hard time and not much for doing thigs I like but if I catch some time I surely will try making some art. Though also about that, I need to update my collection with new things and will be happy if am able to download all new things i am interested in time and beside thatI will try making something of my own.

Thanks for keeping us updated with new things, really looking forward to be able to join the fun and make new things. Hoping that my free time will allow me to work and follow good things that are going on in arts.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    edited December 1969

Thanks gulan7. I try to post something new at least every week to show what's possible.

edited December 1969

Ok, You have my attention. I fugured that with new DS4.8 I still can make nice characters but not pose much more then one, and now I am trying to work with Bryce to learn to make nice backgrounds. If I could make something with Shape Magic it would definitely be a plus :) I need to learn a lot but now with summer i probably will not have much time, but I will try doing as much as I can.

edited June 2015

ROADS - 1
    I haven't posted anything for a couple of weeks as I was busy preparing for my daughter's wedding. It went great so now I have time to get back to sharing some new examples.

In addition to Shape Magic, I also wrote a program called Shape Magic Roadmaker. I recently responded to a post in the Commons about roads. Roadmaker does cut-and-fill so a road looks like it belongs on the terrain. Below are examples where a terrain height map was modified in Roadmaker and then used in Bryce , Carrara and Daz Studio. Bryce and Carrara can use height maps whereas Daz Studio cannot, so the Daz Studio version uses a 3D mesh exported from Bryce.

One of the flaws with Roadmaker is that the texture maps are raster images and the curves have anti-aliasing which makes them appear smooth but this also means you see the pixels if you try to do close-ups. So Roadmaker is really best only for far away shots.

I haven't used Carrara much so the first Carrara image is a bit rough. I did a second more complete example which used Roadmaker's alpha map to distribute the trees.

demo004a_with_car.jpg
    800 x 600 - 526K
    demo003_DazStudio.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 365K
    demo003_carrara.jpg
    800 x 600 - 73K
    demo003_bryce.jpg
    718 x 598 - 57K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
    edited June 2015

ROADS - 2
    Another flaw with using a height map for roads is that both Bryce and Carrara export a 16-bit bmp file but then imports them as 8-bit which leads to a stair-stepping, not a smooth terrain and road as you would want. The user has to either smooth the terrains multiple times or use a second program like GIMP or Photoshop to convert Roadmaker’s bmp output to a TIF file. This is a pain even for me. So I've been slowly working on a version of Roadmaker that exports a UV-mapped 3D mesh. Here's an example showing how you can get much crisper lines (actually too crisp - I plan to add a nit of randomness to the edges to make it less perfect looking).

Roadmaker_mesh_road_close.jpg
    600 x 800 - 376K
    Roadmaker_mesh_road.jpg
    600 x 800 - 191K
    edited December 1969

Congratulations for Your daughter’s wedding.

About the Roadmaker, I will have to test it. I have downloaded it but haven't tried it yet, but it will surely be useful as I plan to make some roads too for my scenes. Will try to make something soon, if I catch some time. Lately I was thinking about building some structures with Hexagon or even with Shapemagic. Lets hope I will start it soon :)

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

For all Shape Magic 2 users, you now have the opportunity to win Daz Gift Certificates in the Because I Said So! contest. Hope you can join us, and thanks Rich for your generosity!

edited November 2015

Glad to help support your contest Novica!

Just as examples, I've entered 4 renders in her contest and two of them happened to include Shape Magic objects. In the first case, I needed paint cans and a paint brush and couldn't find any I liked, so I made a quick set in Shape Magic. In the second case, I used a cottage and a set of mushrooms I had previously made. See renders below.

If you want to use a Shape Magic object in your contest render, you can use any of my free downloads OR you can download the Shape Magic 2.1 program and make your own prop. If you use the program, you also have access to the the great number of design (.smg) files that are on the download page. I have quite a few tutorials for those wanting to give Shape Magic a try.

In addition to Shape Magic, I offer a number of other freeware products. Use of any of them count towards the contest.

Paint cans and brushes in lower right made with Shape Magic:

The cottage is an assembly of a lot of Shape Magic objects, the mushrooms are also from Shape Magic:

You got me interested. I hope I will be able to enter the contest.

edited December 2015

See my freebie post for link to newly updated Christmas Kit. I updated UV mapping so material zones are present in Daz Studio.

This is an old Bryce render using models from the kit:

christmas_words.jpg
    300 x 420 - 128K
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

I am most certainly going to try out your program RGcincy

For the Because I said so contest you stuff looks really interesting

Let me know if any questions! 

See my freebie post for link to newly updated Lamp Kit. I updated UV mapping so material zones are present in Daz Studio.

This is an old Bryce render showing parts in the kit:

edited December 2015

See my freebie post for link to my new flag kit. This was partly made with Shape Magic and partly with Shape Magic Flag Maker. Any of these qualify as a Shape Magic product in the Because I Said So! contest.

thumbnail_store.jpg
    200 x 200 - 10K
    RGcincy said:

Let me know if any questions! 

I have one really big question I would really love to use this program but I can not get quick time to load into my lappy with Windows 7 says it is out dated, so what can I do to get it in my laptop?

I have one really big question I would really love to use this program but I can not get quick time to load into my lappy with Windows 7 says it is out dated, so what can I do to get it in my laptop?

I use it on a Windows 7 computer so it may be the quick time version you have. What's the wording of the warning you get? 

edited December 2015

I got it figured out RGcincy it was the version of Quicktime I had.

Here is a braclet I made Rendered in Daz Studio 4.9 and postworked in PSP 9

Thinking of the new year 2016 portrait2.png
    1280 x 1280 - 2M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on

Glad to see you got it working Saphirewild - very festive bracelet and render! Feel free to post any other items you make.

I am working on making a glass vase ATM so as soon as I get it done and set up in a scene I sure will be posting it here!!!

I think I have found a new adiction here with Shape Magic!!!!

edited January 2016

Here is the frame I just made before all the postwork.

Of course it has the female touch with all the pink n purples

Under is the Postworked Frame as well!!

My new Frame with SM.png
    1280 x 720 - 349K
    edited January 2016

Here is the postworked frame called Framed Scenery

Postwork Framed scenery.png
    835 x 718 - 563K
    edited January 2016

Here is a Lamp I did it is still a WIP got to still attach more do dads to it giggles But I thought it turned out amazing in IRay!!!

Going to show you both like last time with frame a pre postwork and the postwork

Called: You Light Me Up

Lamp done in IRay.png
    639 x 639 - 324K
    Lamp done in IRay post.png
    639 x 639 - 364K

You're doing really well with it! I like your frame and the "female touch" colors. And your lamp colors are a nice combination, I especially like the lamp shade texture. 

RGcincy said:

You're doing really well with it! I like your frame and the "female touch" colors. And your lamp colors are a nice combination, I especially like the lamp shade texture. 

I made that texture myself in PSP9 using the paint brush and some tubeswink

RGcincy said:

I made that texture myself in PSP9 using the paint brush and some tubeswink

Impressive! I like how the color and the swirls reflect the color and shape of the lamp body.

I thought the same thing when I was doing up the texture I wanted it to all match perfectly!!!

Thanks so much RGcincy!!

edited January 2016

Here is another set of Bracelets I did up for the because I said so contest

Titled:Defender of the Golden Bracelets

Defender Of The Golden Bracelets.png
    600 x 370 - 283K
    edited January 2016

Here is another Render with your great Magic Shapes Program made for the Render A Month Challenge:

7 Render Stories

7 Render Stories.jpg
    800 x 800 - 224K

Here is another Render with your great Magic Shapes Program made for the Render A Month Challenge

Very cool!  Glad you are having fun with it. By the way, its title is the reverse of what you mention - Shape Magic.

RGcincy said:

Here is another Render with your great Magic Shapes Program made for the Render A Month Challenge

Very cool!  Glad you are having fun with it. By the way, its title is the reverse of what you mention - Shape Magic.

Sorry about that.....I am sure having a blast using these amazing Frames and all the neat stuff I have made so far thanks for giving me my new addiction smiles big :))