Nvidia shelves 2026 new card releases

135

Comments

  • Cam FoxCam Fox Posts: 493
    edited September 21

    Torquinox said:

    I've read a lot of articles speculating about what will happen if NVidia abandons the consumer gpu card market because it represents a small portion of their total income. Some believe NVidia will provide GPU as a subscription service. I don't like that idea, but I could see that happening.

    It would improve data center utilization during quiet times and/or maintain the frenzied data center demand, ensuring revenue for NVidia. It would also curtail competition with open source models, if prices are too high for people to buy home hardware to run open source models, maintaining a critical moat for the consortium of mainstream ai companies (imagine what would happen to their business model if they're still billions in the hole when good open source LLMs could be run at home). NVidia is set to acquire Hugging Face in early 2027 which is them proactively buying the open source competition. It's a great hedge of bets too, if the industry swings toward open source models later NVidia can supply the hardware to PC consumers again. BUT if they can move everything into the cloud and reduce home PCs to the role of dumb terminals, they can name any price for cloud os/games/software/rendering - hopefully that's not how it trends. (They already have "GeForce NOW" for exactly that, so they've covered that base too.)

    Post edited by Cam Fox on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 42,457
    edited September 21

    Cam Fox said:

    BUT if they can move everything into the cloud and reduce home PCs to the role of dumb terminals, they can name any price for cloud os/games/software/rendering - hopefully that's not how it trends. (They already have "GeForce NOW" for exactly that, so they've covered that base too.)

    ...personally hoping that day never comes.  I'll stick with nursing my ancient system along using the version of Daz it still supports as it is already paid for   If the bubble pops, then maybe upgrading will be affordable again

    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 41,689

    don't worry

    China will step up to the plate

    the Nvidia only requirements of many engines including iray would likely be solved too

    it might phone home but that's the compromise one would expect

    devil

  • Cam FoxCam Fox Posts: 493
    edited September 21

    Hardware is definitely an attractive market for new competition. Good to support startups and emerging competitors where possible to help avoid the effects of a monopoly. Tricky when there's a finite supply of raw materials. If the bubble ever pops and I can afford to upgrade computers without mortgaging a house, I'm not going to take it for granted. :)

    Post edited by Cam Fox on
  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,397

    WendyLuvsCatz said:

    China will step up to the plate

    the Nvidia only requirements of many engines including iray would likely be solved too

    China could not sell an IRAY CUDA based chip in the US or EU and countries with similar IP laws. Daz would first have to support a non-IRAY based realistic render engine.

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 42,457
    edited September 21

    ...one of the reasons I dropped Poser (12, 13, and 14 do so),  Daz3D only does so if you opt into it for services like Daz Connect or are have a Daz Premier subscription (because of the exclusive content).

    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 4,353
    edited September 21

    SnowSultan said:

    I laugh when people say "AIs make too many mistakes" or "they're wrong about everything" when I get fast food maybe four times a year and they get the order wrong two of the four times. The IRS even says that the information *they* provide for something as important as filing taxes may not be accurate. Humans should definitely not be throwing stones at AI when it comes to getting things right.

    You're of course right that humans mostly fail too. That doesn't mean you can trust AI blindly, in my experience it must be verified and corrected a lot, and I do mean a lot. Same of course with humans.

    p.s. The great benefit with AI when searching for information, is it can scan hundreds of sites fast and make you a recap, which lets you better focus on the specific information you're searching for. But for complex or creative questions it unfortunately mostly fail. I come right know from asking some complex workflows for ComfyUI and none of the answers worked, with Google AI constantly apologizing for providing me bad information, after I explained why they didn't work.

    Post edited by Padone on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 4,353
    edited September 21

    GTX 1060 update.

    Passed from Pony to Anima, always Q8 version. Anima is vastly superior handling natural language prompts and complex descriptions, works wonderful with 1060, the memory and time are comparable with Pony Q8 + Lightning, that means Anima includes a "turbo" technology by default. About 60 seconds per image. It is amazing what we can do with old harware and the right software.

    https://huggingface.co/circlestone-labs/Anima

    https://huggingface.co/vanes430/Anima-Turbo-V1.1-GGUF

     

    Post edited by Padone on
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,845

    WendyLuvsCatz said:

    OMG I did actually finally download and install MiniMaxH3 whatever in my WanGP app in Pinokio and get it to run

    but it was going to take 48 hours to render my 4sec video

    aborted it after realising that after 4 hours. will be uninstalling

    Holy moly, a 4 second video? Do you still need something in particular? I'll do it in Seedance for you if I can.

  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 41,689

    SnowSultan said:

    WendyLuvsCatz said:

    OMG I did actually finally download and install MiniMaxH3 whatever in my WanGP app in Pinokio and get it to run

    but it was going to take 48 hours to render my 4sec video

    aborted it after realising that after 4 hours. will be uninstalling

    Holy moly, a 4 second video? Do you still need something in particular? I'll do it in Seedance for you if I can.

    I could just pay for a subscription myself if I wanted to

    just determined and stubborn I want to use my own PC locally 

    thanks anyway heart

    Just finished one using LTX instead 

  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,393

    From Claude AI about Windows becoming a subscription....

    "

    Short answer: no, there's no announced plan or timeline for Microsoft to turn consumer Windows into a subscription.

    The rumor mill

    • A wave of "subscription-only Windows 12" stories circulated in early 2026. Reporting since then found no public Microsoft announcement or verifiable roadmap supporting a subscription-gated consumer OS shipping this year. The stories seem to have stitched together internal codenames and engineering concepts into one narrative.
    • Microsoft's visible focus is stabilizing and improving Windows 11 rather than a full consumer OS reboot in 2026. Most of that debunking comes from community and enthusiast sites rather than Microsoft itself, so treat it as strong circumstantial evidence, not an official denial.

    Where subscriptions already exist

    • Business customers can get Windows through a subscription. Microsoft doesn't sell Windows client editions on a direct monthly plan like Microsoft 365, but Windows Enterprise E3 and E5 are bundled into Microsoft 365 plans and billed per user per month.
    • The paid Windows 10 extended security updates program ($61 per device the first year, doubling annually) is subscription-flavored too, though it's aimed at commercial customers.
    • Windows 365 Cloud PC is a subscription, but it's a streamed desktop, not the Windows on your own machine.

    The "never say never" part
    Historically, Microsoft has said there were "no current plans" for a Windows subscription, without saying never, which keeps its options open. An overt consumer paywall would be a big and unpopular move, so the more likely direction is gradual: features, AI or cloud add-ons, or Microsoft 365 bundles nudging people toward paying, rather than the OS itself going pay-to-run.

    I can't give you a date because there isn't one. If you're wondering whether to worry, the signals to watch are official Microsoft licensing announcements and changes to the Windows 11 Home/Pro terms, rather than leaks or "insider" videos."

  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,393

    Here's what Claude AI was able to print out for me concerning the NVIDIA issues we are all seeing happening in real time:

    "

    Here's a post-ready version. It uses simple bold headers and bullets, which should paste cleanly into most forum editors:


    Nvidia and consumer GPUs: what's actually going on (and what it means for us Iray folks)

    TL;DR: Nvidia is not quitting consumer GPUs, but AI is clearly job #1 now, and gaming cards are getting the leftovers. Don't panic, but don't panic-buy either.

    What's real

    • It's mostly a memory problem. A global high-bandwidth memory shortage is hitting Nvidia and the whole consumer electronics industry, since the same specialized RAM goes into both gaming GPUs and AI accelerators. Nvidia is likely saving limited memory inventory for its higher-margin AI chips.
    • The money explains the rest. Data center is now about 91.5% of Nvidia's revenue. Its compute and networking margins have averaged 69% over three years, versus 40% for the consumer graphics segment.
    • New cards are drying up. Reports say Nvidia won't launch any new consumer graphics cards in 2026, the RTX 50 Super refresh is postponed or canceled, and the RTX 60 series is delayed. Note that this came from press reports rather than a full Nvidia announcement.
    • Old cards are being dusted off. The RTX 3060 has been reintroduced as a stopgap for supply gaps, not because of demand.

    What's overblown

    • "Nvidia has officially quit gaming" isn't supported. Nvidia told CNBC that gamers are "hugely important" and that it's still releasing gaming technologies. Some posts calling the cancellations "official" are low-quality sources, so check where a claim comes from before repeating it.
    • The realistic picture is less "leaving the market" and more "starving it of new products and supply while AI eats the wafers."

    Will this hurt Nvidia long-term? (Just my take, not fact.)

    • Short term: it's rational. If a memory chip earns far more in a data center card, that's where it goes.
    • Long term: there's real risk. GeForce is where a lot of developers and students grow up on CUDA, so neglecting it means fewer future customers and an opening for AMD, Intel, and Apple. Their revenue is also now heavily tied to one boom, so if AI spending cools, they'll miss that broad customer base.

    What it means for DAZ Studio / Iray users

    • Iray only accelerates on Nvidia GPUs. Unlike gamers, we can't just shrug and switch brands.
    • VRAM is our bottleneck, and it's exactly the resource that's tight right now. If a scene doesn't fit in VRAM, Iray drops to CPU rendering, which is much slower.
    • Your current card isn't going anywhere. Nothing here breaks existing hardware or drivers.

    Practical tips

    1. Don't panic-buy at inflated prices unless you truly need to.
    2. If you must upgrade, a used card with plenty of VRAM may beat waiting on a next generation that keeps slipping.
    3. Before spending money, try optimizing scenes: lower texture resolutions on background items, use instances, and hide what the camera can't see. It's a free way to stretch the card you have.

    Sources:

  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,393

    My question is why doesn't DAZ 3D look into recoding DS to use other video cards then?  I realize that iRAY is NVIDIA but man I guess DAZ would once again have to go out and find a replacement for that and then there's that learning curve all over again but there ARE options out there.  Poser would work with just about any modern card but not DS without it falling back to CPU rendering, which we all know is like slogging through mud.  Here's Claude AI once again addressing things for my concerns about my own video card:

    "The budget worry is a real concern, and after the RAM saga I'd be gun-shy too. Here's the practical side, which is less grim than it might feel.

    Your card is on the safe side of the divide. A 40-series card like your 4060 Ti runs Iray fine in DS 4.x, and GPUs fail far less often than RAM does. Nothing about this news puts it at risk.

    If it ever did die, you'd have a ladder of fallbacks, cheapest first:

    1. Warranty: check your card's purchase date and the manufacturer's coverage. Many brands give around three years, but confirm yours, and see whether the purchase had an extended warranty.
    2. Integrated graphics: your i7-13700K (the "K", not "KF") has built-in graphics, so the PC would still boot and run DAZ Studio. Iray would fall back to CPU rendering, which is slow, but you could keep working, test, and do lighter renders while you sort out a replacement. That's a real safety net.
    3. A used card, not a new one: a used RTX 30-series card with plenty of VRAM works fine in DS 4.x. Forum regulars have long recommended the RTX 3060 12GB for Iray on a budget. I haven't checked current used prices, and the shortage has probably pushed them up, so verify before counting on that.
    4. Stretch what you have: the Scene Optimizer and lower-res textures on background items help scenes fit in less VRAM, so a smaller card goes further.
    5. Blender as the escape hatch: it renders on AMD and Intel cards too, which broadens your options if Nvidia pricing is out of reach.

    To catch problems early, keep an eye on GPU temperatures under render load in HWiNFO64. Sustained high temps are the early warning worth watching for.

    If you want, I can look up current used-market pricing on 12GB-class Nvidia cards so you know what a worst-case replacement would actually cost." 

  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,700

    RAMWolff said:

    My question is why doesn't DAZ 3D look into recoding DS to use other video cards then?

    Maybe because there are tens of thousands of existing assets already created with Iray materials, and conversion of these materials never really works good enough?

    And maybe because PAs can't, or don't want to, create 2 sets of materoals for 2 different render engines for new assets going forward?

    - Greg

  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 4,956

    I think DS is married to IRAY for the foreseeable future. IRAY materials can work well with the Filament renderer, but IRAY can do more and tends to look better in a final render. I also confirm from experience that optimizing IRAY textures for Filament is a lot of work! And, of course, Daz devs are not really spending much effort on the Filament implementation - They've got their hands full with DS6. @Bluejaunte was working on Firefly for DS and someting akin to Evee, but the effort seems to have gone in other directions.

  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,397

    RAMWolff said:

    My question is why doesn't DAZ 3D look into recoding DS to use other video cards then? 

    What percentage of the existing programming staff that are still working to get DS6 working perfectly do you want to divert into working on a new support for a different rendering engine, thus delaying their current workload? 

  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 4,956
    edited September 21

    jmucchiello said:

    What percentage of the existing programming staff that are still working to get DS6 working perfectly do you want to divert into working on a new support for a different rendering engine, thus delaying their current workload? 

    I'd like to see a bit more effort go into their Filament implementation. Just sayin'. Not expecting anything, though. 

    Post edited by Torquinox on
  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,397

    Torquinox said:

    I'd like to see a bit more effort go into their Filament implementation. Just sayin'. Not expecting anything, though. 

    Preach! I'm always asking about filament support. It kills me as they don't even support it in DO characters any more.

  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,393
    edited September 21

    While I understand all of this, I'm not a dummy, if this trend keeps going the way it's going DAZ 3D may have little choice in finding an alterternative to iRAY esp if folks, on budgets, like myself, can't afford the GPU's to keep up with the constant upgrading of DS or deal with longer render times due to older or non NVIDIA cards posed with rendering out scenes and there goes the really intense scenes.  I remember a long while back I would hear of forumites that would leave their machine rendering over night and then sometimes the render wasn't good enough or DS crashed .... We have all gotten very used to having our renders finishing very quickly.  It would seem a step back to have to go back to that sort of wait time. 

    I'm not suggesting ANYTHING, I'm just wondering what's on the DAZ teams mind about all this?  What they may be considering if this trend continues. 

    You can't expect new users to jump on board with mid range systems and then all of a sudden realize they need to sink a couple thousand dollars on a NVIDIA GPU to be able to do what they want to do.  This is a hobby for a good many out there and that's one expensive price tag.  Just saying! 

    For those that have expendable incomes, right on, good for you, woo hoo!  Not the case for many of us. 

    It's kinda like my belonging to a group on line where I live (It's called Next Door) and my concerns about rents around here.  One asshat comes in to the thread and tells me, rudely, to move to another state.  REALLY?  NOPE!  Let's see; my remaining clients would be out a hairdresser and I out income I need, my doctors are all here and I live with three diseases, my life is here to say the very least of it all.  NOPE, not leaving but it's still a daily concern that I'm sure MANY of us worry about.  

    Programs like DS; Once your hooked into a program you really like and then things go sideways; your equipment start to stutter and fail then what?  It's never easy dealing with issues like this when they come up and of course our community, and I'm not absolved of this either, starts thinking the worse about the endgame.  Right now, it's a concern but what about the future?  Is DAZ looking into this, that far out, to make sure their own business doesn't suffer with massive losses of end users and buyers??

    Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 4,956

    jmucchiello said:

    Torquinox said:

    I'd like to see a bit more effort go into their Filament implementation. Just sayin'. Not expecting anything, though. 

    Preach! I'm always asking about filament support. It kills me as they don't even support it in DO characters any more.

    I hear you! The best thing I did was get https://www.daz3d.com/filament-pro-lights-and-rendering-secrets--2-new-lights--video-tutorial to understand a bit more about how Filament works in DS and then I experimented a lot. Sometimes, the results have been great! Other times, not as great. I should probably find a way to share some of what I've learned. indecision  

  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,700

    RAMWolff said:

    While I understand all of this, I'm not a dummy, if this trend keeps going the way it's going DAZ 3D may have little choice in finding an alterternative to iRAY esp if folks, on budgets, like myself, can't afford the GPU's to keep up with the constant upgrading of DS or deal with longer render times due to older or non NVIDIA cards posed with rendering out scenes and there goes the really intense scenes.  I remember a long while back I would hear of forumites that would leave their machine rendering over night and then sometimes the render wasn't good enough or DS crashed .... We have all gotten very used to having our renders finishing very quickly.  It would seem a step back to have to go back to that sort of wait time. 

    I'm not suggesting ANYTHING, I'm just wondering what's on the DAZ teams mind about all this?  What they may be considering if this trend continues. 

    You can't expect new users to jump on board with mid range systems and then all of a sudden realize they need to sink a couple thousand dollars on a NVIDIA GPU to be able to do what they want to do.  This is a hobby for a good many out there and that's one expensive price tag.  Just saying! 

    For those that have expendable incomes, right on, good for you, woo hoo!  Not the case for many of us. 

    It's kinda like my belonging to a group on line where I live (It's called Next Door) and my concerns about rents around here.  One asshat comes in to the thread and tells me, rudely, to move to another state.  REALLY?  NOPE!  Let's see; my remaining clients would be out a hairdresser and I out income I need, my doctors are all here and I live with three diseases, my life is here to say the very least of it all.  NOPE, not leaving but it's still a daily concern that I'm sure MANY of us worry about.  

    Programs like DS; Once your hooked into a program you really like and then things go sideways; your equipment start to stutter and fail then what?  It's never easy dealing with issues like this when they come up and of course our community, and I'm not absolved of this either, starts thinking the worse about the endgame.  Right now, it's a concern but what about the future?  Is DAZ looking into this, that far out, to make sure their own business doesn't suffer with massive losses of end users and buyers??

    Maybe you could file a support ticket and ask DAZ directly? I'm sure there are others in these forums who would be interested in the answer just as much as you!

    - Greg 

  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 4,956

    Cycles! Yes, called it firefly.

  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,700

    Torquinox said:

    Cycles! Yes, called it firefly.

    Yeah I know you already mentioned it, but I figured I'd do so again (and with a link) since it wasn't acknowledged. 

    - Greg

  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 4,956
    edited September 21

    algovincian said:

    Yeah I know you already mentioned it, but I figured I'd do so again (and with a link) since it wasn't acknowledged. 

    - Greg

    We can only post stuff. We don't control replies, and you put the link! So, cheers to that! 

    Post edited by Torquinox on
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,548
    Daz, if anyone from the team is reading this, this is why we need a proper non GPU dependant rendering engine alternative to Iray.
  • RAMWolff said:

    My question is why doesn't DAZ 3D look into recoding DS to use other video cards then?  

    Iray is the thing which uses only nVidia, DS uses others for other GPU-accelerated tasks. 

    DS doesn't need any recoding to support other render engines and GPUs, it just needs a plug-in to handle the render engine (or to communicate with it a an external application). Iray isa lready a plug-in. As noted above, the main obstacle would be converting materials - Daz wrote a tool to convert the main 3Delight shaders to Iray, and it works quite well; anyone making a new render engine plug-in could do the same.

  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,397

    algovincian said:

    Also, @bluejaunte is working on a Cycles plugin for DS:

    Blue is working a lot of cool stuff with poses. I think that's their focus given how fast updates are announced on their Patreon.

  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 3,620
    edited September 22

    WendyLuvsCatz said:

    it's videos where it gets demanding for hardware, I have a 2080Ti but still limited

    just tried MiniMax no luck, I mostly use LTX1 and it takes 25mins a 121frame 780p video (and all my 11GB VRAM)

    Wan2 and LTX2 take hours!

    you can still do video but likely only 460p but can upscale 

    I don't use ComfyUI because I am node based software adverse

    I use Automatic 1111/Forge, Fooocus, Pinokio a few instnces of the first 2

    SD1 and SDXL in separate installations and drives

    some won't work on some drives or with different models and extensions  in the same installation but I learned several installations is not a bad idea 

    I do it with Carrara for the same reason (plugin clashes)

    Not really relevant to the NVIDIA discussion, but I did a quick test using LTX 2.3 22B (distilled) 1.1 with your numbers above (121 freame 720p, slightly smaller) using my MacBook Pro with an M4Pro and 48 GB RAM and it took just under 10 minutes locally; I'm using Drawthings (a MacOS/ios frontend) and was surprised, as every other time I've tried ComfyUI or such I wound up more frustrated than successful (mostlly in trying to get it to use the RAM efficiently). I'm stll too happy with SeeDream at the moment to switch to local (though I would use the remote API, just not for free) but it's promising to me and I'll probably test it more in the future. 

    Post edited by wsterdan on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 41,689
    edited September 22

    I actually use LTX1 as 2.2 is considerably slower on my rig too

    I have an issue with having to use FP16 only as BF16 not supported by my Ryzen3 CPU which now I cannot afford to upgrade due to the huge price rises in components, the error messages suggest it is the architecture of that rather than the GPU

    I have a RTX2080Ti my GPU is good, my CPU isn't which is fine for iray etc but not so good for other stuff

    I cannot use lots of models and apps because of this hardware limitation

    its also the reason after updates Ace-Step 1.5 no longer gives me vocals, it errors if I try doing them, sometimes I can sneak 3 words in but mostly the generation fails, I see it in the terminal output, it used to work well then updates killed that

    I set Pinokio to load FP16 when available but obviously not always is

    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
Sign In or Register to comment.