GET DAZ STUDIO 4.5! See why you should do it today!

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited September 2012

Kerya said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...maybe we need to mount a campaign for an update to LDP2, similar to the successful one that got the Steph4 body shape for Genesis "unvaulted".

Campaigns may work for Daz3d - I am not sure they would work for Mr. Belwon.
    ...looks like I'll stay with clunky ol' 3A then. At least when I do finally move up to 64 bit I'll have a lot more memory to throw at rendering.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,198
    edited December 1969

IceScribe said:
    With this latest version of Daz Studio 4.5 I have read through this thread and find the remarks that the Itemized History Items files will no longer contain DS files and some others but those will be replaced with a new file format.. Sorry, I am very dumb about the files and background mysteies of what makes the program go, but I want to understand this statement. I ask therefore:

If I choose to continue with DAZ 3 for a while, and need to reload in the immediate future an item I purchased at DAZ..before DAZ 4.5 .

does this mean the newly downloaded "reload" item will not load/run in the old DAZ 3 version?

Will Bryce 7 Pro be able to import the new version of the updated Item History download? Recent DAZ4 sends to Bryce crash.

I won't go into the all reasons why I continue to use DAZ3, unless you want to know. I understand this is a promotion for the new version.

I believe the Bryce Bridge is working in 4.5, though I haven#'t tested it. As for downloads, it'sa lways a good diea to keep a local copy of the installer (I have a shoe box full of CDs and DVDs built up over the last ten years and more) - however, I'm not sure that older content is necessarily going to switch to being supplied in .duf format. Even if it is, as long as you can run DS4 you can save a material preset using the deprecated .dsa format and apply that to the Poser format models to use them in DS3 (as long as there is a Poser format version).

edited December 1969

...too "geek" for me. This is the kind of thing that made me quit CGI in the "old days" when Mainframes ruled and you had to sell your firstborn to afford enough time on a Cray for your project.

I'm beginning to feel that 2.3.3 for all it's flaws came the closest to taking things from an artist's POV.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I’m beginning to feel that 2.3.3 for all it’s flaws came the closest to taking things from an artist’s POV.

I really think that depends on the artist and the POV they hold. I think that the ease of use added since then have greatly enhanced the artists experience for me. The only thing left that I don't really think is angled well from my artistic POV is shader mixer.

edited December 1969

...just read a post on another thread concerning setting up custom runtimes in 4.5 (form a fairly experienced user) . Seems the CMS has a few issues with custom setups that require a lot more effort on the user's part than it does in older versions of the application.

In 2.3 I rarely if ever had to mess around with a lot of "geek" stuff to get things to work the way I wanted them to compared to what Ive seen people in 4.5 have been dealing with.

The shader mixer and figure mixer in 3A are jokes as well. I gave up on both of them.

I'll stick to PP2010's "Materials Room". That at least works for me even if I have to apply it one zone at a time.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

At least you don't have to use CMS - I turned it off. You can still use the tree view like in DS 1.x. :)

edited December 1969

...I actually uninstalled the CMS, (or at least thought I did). A couple months later when I was in the Task Manager Processes tab, I noticed it was back. Don't know how unless it was reloaded when I installed some new content. That bugger is worse than blackberry bushes to get rid of.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I actually uninstalled the CMS, (or at least thought I did). A couple months later when I was in the Task Manager Processes tab, I noticed it was back. Don't know how unless it was reloaded when I installed some new content. That bugger is worse than blackberry bushes to get rid of.

are you still waiting to put that puter together - whats it been 2 or 3 years ?

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    edited December 1969

Any idea when the new version with the fixed Area Lights will be availble?

• gw3972gw3972 Posts: 50
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

If I may play Devil's Advocate, since you didn't notice it was back (and therefore there can't have been any impact on your system), why keep on trying to remove it? It seems a pointless exercise to me!

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

gw3972 said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

If I may play Devil's Advocate, since you didn't notice it was back (and therefore there can't have been any impact on your system), why keep on trying to remove it? It seems a pointless exercise to me!

Somme of us don't like unwanted services running. If it's not wanted, then it's just something else that may mess things up, and it takes up resources unnecessarily. Maybe not a lot of resources, but these things are cumulative: one unwanted service, plus another, plus another ...

Personally, after getting fed up with uninstalling it after each update, I instead went to the services control panel, stopped it and changed the startup type to manual. As I don't choose to start it manually, it is never started. And the settings have remained through several 4.0 upgrades and the 4.5 upgrades. At least currently this appears to eb the easiest optioon for those of us who don't want it. I just remember to ckeck a little after an upgrade that the upgrade didn't change the settings back to autostart (the way an iTunes upgrade always replaces those services that are completely unwanted if you don't have an iPod/PadPlayer and sets them back to autostart again. Grrrrr.) So far they haven't.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Keep in mind if you are a content creator and have the CMS off certain things in auto filling in some of the confusing information boxes are left blank. When CMS is running all this information is made available and what can be auto filled in will be filled in. So for MY needs, while I don't use the shaping or smart tab I do do content creation so CMS has proved it's worth to me for that alone. If Rob where here he would explain just how much CMS plays into making sure DS runs better for more than just loading content and making Meta Data ....

• jepegraphicsjepegraphics Posts: 863
    edited December 1969

Any idea when the new version with the fixed Area Lights will be availble?

I second that. Are the downloads reset already? I still work with 4.5 RC2 now only because of this. :(

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,198
    edited December 1969

I'm sure there will be an announcement when there's an update.

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

IceScribe said:
    With this latest version of Daz Studio 4.5 I have read through this thread and find the remarks that the Itemized History Items files will no longer contain DS files and some others but those will be replaced with a new file format.. Sorry, I am very dumb about the files and background mysteies of what makes the program go, but I want to understand this statement. I ask therefore:

If I choose to continue with DAZ 3 for a while, and need to reload in the immediate future an item I purchased at DAZ..before DAZ 4.5 .

does this mean the newly downloaded "reload" item will not load/run in the old DAZ 3 version?

Will Bryce 7 Pro be able to import the new version of the updated Item History download? Recent DAZ4 sends to Bryce crash.

I won't go into the all reasons why I continue to use DAZ3, unless you want to know. I understand this is a promotion for the new version.

I believe the Bryce Bridge is working in 4.5, though I haven#'t tested it. As for downloads, it'sa lways a good diea to keep a local copy of the installer (I have a shoe box full of CDs and DVDs built up over the last ten years and more) - however, I'm not sure that older content is necessarily going to switch to being supplied in .duf format. Even if it is, as long as you can run DS4 you can save a material preset using the deprecated .dsa format and apply that to the Poser format models to use them in DS3 (as long as there is a Poser format version).

@Richard Haseltine Thank you for your quick reply to my question. You have given us some sound advice. I think most of my purchases here at DAZ included the Poser element, but recently, new items purchased in past few months do not, if I understand the changes at all.. But it's the older items I am concerned about so you have helped me.

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

are you still waiting to put that puter together - whats it been 2 or 3 years ?
    ...about two. Been a Johnny Cash "One Piece at a Time" affair with a couple missteps along the way and getting shorted hardware (most recently, mounting screws and drive rails for the case that were case specific) by the vendor I bought it from.

Finally received the last missing pieces this week so have everything and will begin installing the OS, utilities and apps this weekend. then it will be another several weeks setting up my runtimes before I'm actually ready to start working on scenes again.

Going to stay with 3.1.2.32 (64) for a while and learn PP2012, as well as really start diving into Blender and Marvelous Designer. Really love to see Bryce be brought into the 64 bit world but that's just wishful thinking.

...pity, it is such a nice scene generation system that would really benefit from being able to access more than 2G of RAM.

edited September 2012

gw3972 said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

...it's taking 47 MB from my available memory, that's 47 MB that can't be used for rendering., and when you have only 2GB to work with, any savings in memory load is a help. Along with the current scene I have been trying to render, Studio has been taking up over 600 MB, That leaves only about 1.3G overhead for rendering.

• ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

You only got 2Gb with your new computer?

Coldrake

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Going to stay with 3.1.2.32 (64) for a while and learn PP2012, as well as really start diving into Blender and Marvelous Designer. Really love to see Bryce be brought into the 64 bit world but that's just wishful thinking.

...pity, it is such a nice scene generation system that would really benefit from being able to access more than 2G of RAM.

If your new system is 64bit and has more than 2GB RAM you can use the 3GB switch on Bryce - works beautifully for me!
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

edited September 2012

Coldrake said:
    You only got 2Gb with your new computer?

Coldrake

...that has 12G, but until I get everything installed and my custom runtimes set up I'm still on the 32bit notebook.

Unfortunately I only have the weekend to work on it as my weekly schedule with the day job and commute takes about 13 hours of my waking day. Add preparing dinner and cleaning up afterwards into the equation and I have maybe about an hour and a half of free time left if I'm lucky before I have to turn in for the night. At my age I need a good night's sleep to deal with the next workday.

Considering I have to work with computers all day performing fairly "thankless" and mind numbing tasks (with the latest version of MS Office which sucks large boulders and a local intranet that often slows to a crawl when I need to depend on it the most) I'm pretty burned out to the point blogging about on the forums is about all I can handle.

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

If your new system is 64bit and has more than 2GB RAM you can use the 3GB switch on Bryce - works beautifully for me!
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556
    ...is that possible with WIn7 Home Premium? I know that with XP32 I need the Pro version to use that option. My notebook has the Media Edition of XP32 which is basically the Home version with a few extra multimedia based features.

edited December 1969

As long as your Win7 home premium is 64bit, it will work. :)
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556&page=4

• Lori_TLori_T Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I hesitate to upgrade because I have quite a few scenes saved in DS4 Pro, which I want to work on further.
    If I upgrade it seems they will all be unusable. I have downloaded 4.5 but at the moment it is just sitting quietly in my computer and waiting...............

edited December 1969

I've opened many DAZ Studio 4 Pro scenes in 4.5, even some from 3 and they all work fine.

Coldrake

edited December 1969

...not for me.

Tindra_mat_error.jpg
    649 x 551 - 263K
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...not for me.

Yeah, but unfortunately you seem to have more problems than any 10 people put together.

Coldrake

edited December 1969

...which is why, for my purposes, moving "up" to 4.5 seems fairly moot.

Some have difficulty with getting Poser/Poser Pro to work right on their systems while the last couple releases of Daz Studio work fine. For me it seems to be the opposite.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Do you have the correct UV selected for your character? That's found under Surfaces...

• Lori_TLori_T Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Coldrake said
    I’ve opened many DAZ Studio 4 Pro scenes in 4.5, even some from 3 and they all work fine."

Thanks for that encouragement - NOW I can give it a go
    WooHoo!!

edited December 1969

The problem you're having in this image, is that in DAZ Studio 4.5?

Coldrake

Tindra_mat_error.jpg
    589 x 500 - 61K