Contest ~~~ Because I Said So! (November 2015)

Comments

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447

Finally!

Renders complete, post-work done....  And here it is:

Entry #1
    Title: The Ultimate Selfie Fail

Before...
    Statement: "It's always easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask permission."  (But in this case, that's liable to be a pretty tough sell!)

He slipped under the barricade, hoping to get the ultimate 'selfie' at Stonehenge, to post on his Facebook page.  They tried to stop him; really, they tried.  Unfortunately, that ridiculous 'Druid' get-up the curator was required to wear slowed him down a bit, and he couldn't quite get to the kid in time....

After...
    Statement: "It's always 'drama, drama, drama' with you!"

Dad: "When I told your mother that you'd probably find a way to destroy the place, I was only kidding!  I sure as hell didn't expect you to take it as a challenge!"
    Mom:  "Ooh, you are so grounded, Mister!"

'Druid Priestess': "How are we going to explain this to the Ministry of Antiquities?"
    'Druid Priest': "No clue.  No flippin' clue!"

USFComposite.jpg
    1300 x 1462 - 455K
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    Novica said:
    Novica said:
    By the way, are 'Before-and-After', dual images permitted?

Sure! Before and after are fine.

I'm close enough to completing the first entry, and a question popped into my head, to wit:

What's the protocol for submitting 'before-and-after' entries?  Should it be a composite image, a la GIMP; two images, each with its own associated statement, dialog and product list; combining the story/dialog into a single block of text; or something altogether different?

Ken, a composite would be fine, and you can do the separate statements (perhaps Part 1 "Statement" and Part 2 "Statement" then list the products in the same way (Part 1 (no more than 3 please) and Part 2 (same, no more than 3. I wouldn't repeat anything you used in the first one) then list any other products below the render. You can do the dialogue however you think it would work best. It's all flexible, have fun! 

Novica said:
    Novica said:
    Novica said:
    By the way, are 'Before-and-After', dual images permitted?

Sure! Before and after are fine.

I'm close enough to completing the first entry, and a question popped into my head, to wit:

What's the protocol for submitting 'before-and-after' entries?  Should it be a composite image, a la GIMP; two images, each with its own associated statement, dialog and product list; combining the story/dialog into a single block of text; or something altogether different?

Ken, a composite would be fine, and you can do the separate statements (perhaps Part 1 "Statement" and Part 2 "Statement" then list the products in the same way (Part 1 (no more than 3 please) and Part 2 (same, no more than 3. I wouldn't repeat anything you used in the first one) then list any other products below the render. You can do the dialogue however you think it would work best. It's all flexible, have fun! 

I just finished building my entry in the Entries Only thread; I just hope it's acceptable.  If not, I can re-edit the thing.  It'll be tedious in the extreme, but I'm willing to do it.  (And I thought the Blender part of it was exhausting!)

You people are cracking me up! Love the Road Runner type reference, the picture attempt (that's about how I hang pictures) and the destroyed pillars. The competition is really tough in this contest!

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

I couldn't find anything on this in the rules. Will the same person be able to win more than one prize? As we're allowed 6 entries one person could theoretically take all prize positions. If that isn't decided on yet it's probably a good idea to do that before the it's time to declare winners. ;)

And more than half the month is gone and I still haven't started on mine. I have ideas for at least two renders (and a couple "I don't want to know" that most certainly would violate ToS...) so I better get going with it!

Good point. I would like to see First Bastion's generous offer being spread between contestants. One person getting 5 products for example (first and second place) is a bit extreme IMO. Same with Ken's generosity. Would everyone be okay with winning one place, with your entry that got the most votes being the determination?  

• GopherusGopherus Posts: 1,103

Sure... seems fair to limit each person to a maximum of one prize

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited November 2015
    Gopherus said:

Sure... seems fair to limit each person to a maximum of one prize

heck yea

Post edited by bigh on
    Novica said:

Good point. I would like to see First Bastion's generous offer being spread between contestants. One person getting 5 products for example (first and second place) is a bit extreme IMO. Same with Ken's generosity. Would everyone be okay with winning one place, with your entry that got the most votes being the determination?  

Works for me.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

me too

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835

yes

Done. Added to the rules. This will scatter the rewards and was an excellent observation. Thank you isidorn. I do want this to be a collaborative effort, with the artists contributing to the way its setup. smiley

EDIT: Limit one prize placement per person. Example: If you win 2nd and 3rd place, you will be awarded the 2nd place and the next person will be moved into the 3rd place.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473

That's how we do it in the RRRR. When we had three prizes only one prize per tier, and now with 5 or 6 we limit top three placements to two in each tier.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    Novica said:

IMO keep the attention focused on the action by cutting out what you don't need, but including enough so the setting is known. I would probably get the sign in the image so it's apparent it's a bus stop- so honestly, I'd crop the second one a bit differently and include that. The first one doesn't leave enough space above the head, it seems crowded (and also on the right of the woman- leave a bit more space there too.) 

Okies Novica I will go back and make it a bit more wider angle so peeps know it is a bus stop.

Novica said:

Done. Added to the rules. This will scatter the rewards and was an excellent observation. Thank you isidorn. I do want this to be a collaborative effort, with the artists contributing to the way its setup. smiley

EDIT: Limit one prize placement per person. Example: If you win 2nd and 3rd place, you will be awarded the 2nd place and the next person will be moved into the 3rd place.

Sharing is caring wink 

Fun renders, and loaded with content!  Reminder- contest ends in four days, on the 28th midnight Daz time! (strictly enforced to be fair to everyone.)  So plan ahead the next few days and have fun!

Novica said:

Fun renders, and loaded with content!  Reminder- contest ends in four days, on the 28th midnight Daz time! (strictly enforced to be fair to everyone.)  So plan ahead the next few days and have fun!

AKKK! Where has the time flown off to? I'm currently finishing my entry for the November newbie contest and when that is done I'll start on my ideas for this. I can only hope these will render faster than most other things I've been doing this month (day-long renders. uggh))

• ebonartgalleryebonartgallery Posts: 251
    edited November 2015

Sewer Mission

"It's always drama, drama, drama with you."  Entry #1

1, Storm Sewer Runoff (interior)

2. Rogue Sci-fi Suit for V6 (fitted to G2M)

3. Alien Plants

4. Singers of Chzor

"Swear to God, I hear any more muffled whining out of you two and we go right back to the ship!"

"'Take some of the kids to the surface, Dex!' 'It'll be good for them to get some experience, Dex!'..."

SewerTrouble2.jpg
    1728 x 972 - 223K
    Post edited by ebonartgallery on
  • ebonartgalleryebonartgallery Posts: 251
    edited November 2015

Apartment C127

"I don't want to know." Entry #2

1. Basement Rooms

2. Pretty Ponies for The Toy Pony for Daz2 Horse

3. Police! For Security

"Sarge, you see that the blood is coming from the grate and going into the apartment?"

"Your point, rookie?"

NotGoingTo.jpg
    1069 x 998 - 233K
    Post edited by ebonartgallery on

Love the My Little Pony so innocently inside the room! Be sure to post your entries in the Entry Thread (see first post which has a link) so they will be entered in the contest wink

Do you believe this!?

http://www.daz3d.com/stonehenge-and-ruins

I scoured the web (Rendo, RDNA, ShareCG, etc.) looking for a model of Stonehenge, only to find it right here at the DAZ store!  (Well, at least the one I got was free!  And mangling it in Blender was kind of fun, in a twisted, quasi-psychotic kind of way!)

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,091

Well, managed to get an entry in.  For some reason, the render I uploaded looks terrible, like the compression the forum does to it causes all kinds of strange artifacts.

Oh, and I followed the instructions to the letter about how to set it up so it opens in a new window.  Doesn't work, at least not in Firefox.  It worked maybe once, then it starts opening in the same window.

Oh well, just foibles of the system, I guess.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

I just wanted to pop in an say Happy Thanksgiving to those of you living in the U.S

I finally got started on the scene for one of my ideas for this month's contest, but realizing I won't be able to finish it before deadline I scrapped it and did something quick and fun to do instead. I'm aware the render is probably stretching the purpose/rules of this contest a bit as the quote used is a bit far fatched for it. So if it gets excluded from the contest I won't protest. I hope someone at least gets a smile from it or goes "awww" over the cute robots. wink

Btw, the three products listed are also the only three used in the render.

Do you believe this!?

http://www.daz3d.com/stonehenge-and-ruins

I scoured the web (Rendo, RDNA, ShareCG, etc.) looking for a model of Stonehenge, only to find it right here at the DAZ store!  (Well, at least the one I got was free!  And mangling it in Blender was kind of fun, in a twisted, quasi-psychotic kind of way!)

Well, I was kinda wondering...but since you are a creative beast, I figured you wanted to have it with a different polygonal representative (lol.)  

wwes said:

Well, managed to get an entry in.  For some reason, the render I uploaded looks terrible, like the compression the forum does to it causes all kinds of strange artifacts.

Oh, and I followed the instructions to the letter about how to set it up so it opens in a new window.  Doesn't work, at least not in Firefox.  It worked maybe once, then it starts opening in the same window.

Oh well, just foibles of the system, I guess.

Wes, it' looks great to me- it's very clear, easy to see, and OMGosh can I relate to anything math that seems complicated (my solution is the one on the right, the 2+2=4...shouldn't that be 5? It is in MY math...  

I love all that detail on the chalkboard- amazing! 

isidorn said:

I finally got started on the scene for one of my ideas for this month's contest, but realizing I won't be able to finish it before deadline I scrapped it and did something quick and fun to do instead. I'm aware the render is probably stretching the purpose/rules of this contest a bit as the quote used is a bit far fatched for it. So if it gets excluded from the contest I won't protest. I hope someone at least gets a smile from it or goes "awww" over the cute robots. wink

Btw, the three products listed are also the only three used in the render.

Why would it be excluded? It's fine, the expression it's done in the movies is a tongue-in-cheek excuse that people throw out there, whether it applies or not- but I'm sure somewhere there have been robots in lineups. Those are adorable- all guilty of cuteness! 

I just wanted to pop in an say Happy Thanksgiving to those of you living in the U.S

Thank you- I hope everyone had a day with family, friends, food, or whatever you wanted your day to be, regardless of whether it was Thanksgiving or any other normal day. It's in the 70's here the past few days and delightful, which also adds to the pleasant-factor. smiley

Dang Barbult, those skunks look REAL!

Rich, love your camera angle, it really feels like we're in the line too!