how to create a solid dome?

davidkittosdavidkittos Posts: 3
edited November 2015 in Hexagon Discussion

Hi all

I am going through some of the tutorials on youtube and I am bit stuck.  Sorry if this is a basic but I can't find a search function on this forum!!!!!

So my question is: I have created a sphere and deleted the top half faces.  Is there any way of converting my hollow dome to a solid dome?

Have looked at the PDF manual but no luck. I am using the latest version 2.5.1.79

thx

David

Post edited by davidkittos on

Comments

• Not in DAZ studio but you can fake it with a second sphere scaled flat placed in the gap

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891

Hi all

I am going through some of the tutorials on youtube and I am bit stuck.  Sorry if this is a basic but I can't find a search function on this forum!!!!!

So my question is: I have created a sphere and deleted the top half faces.  Is there any way of converting my hollow dome to a solid dome?

Have looked at the PDF manual but no luck. I am using the latest version 2.5.1.79

thx

Do you mean to close the hole in the top of the hemishphere?

If so, select all of the edges in a loop around the top, then go to Vertex Modelling > Close and tthat will close off the top, is that what you mean?

• thanks to both of you, I have a lot to learn smiley

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Using the close function on a hemisphere will cause a great big n-gon (face with more than 4 sides), which is seriously bad modelling practice, especially if you take it into Daz Studio or Poser, which can't read n-gons correcly.  If you then triangulate the n-gon, you will get a terrible mess of geometry.

A more effective method is to select the top loop, extrude inwards a couple of times to make conentric circles. weld the vertices in the centre and dissolve every second one to make the whole mesh quads. 

ngon.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 312K
  • Ooops did not realize this actually was in Hexagon discussion blush

still would work though but you can weld the result at least!

• Strangely, I read your question as how to make the dome have thickness so that it is like, say, an orange cut in half and then hollowed out.

If so, there is a thickness tool.  If my memory is working, you select your object, click on the tool and you can increase or decrease the thickness before validating.

• Roygee said:

Using the close function on a hemisphere will cause a great big n-gon (face with more than 4 sides), which is seriously bad modelling practice, especially if you take it into Daz Studio or Poser, which can't read n-gons correcly.  If you then triangulate the n-gon, you will get a terrible mess of geometry.

A more effective method is to select the top loop, extrude inwards a couple of times to make conentric circles. weld the vertices in the centre and dissolve every second one to make the whole mesh quads. 

thanks Roygee, this looks like the dome I see in the youtube video but I don't have the skills to do what you are describing just yet.  I will keep this in mind for later :)

thanks to all who have replied to my thread

DK

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

I could give you a step-by-step, if you want.  It is very simple and reqires no skill at all :)