Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.9.0.29!

2»

Comments

• The new folder structure seems to be:

In general:

My DAZ 3D Library\data\cloud\SKUNUMBER\runtime\textures\ARTISTNAME\PRODUCTNAME

Specific example:

My DAZ 3D Library\data\cloud\1_2281\runtime\textures\stonemason\skycar

The issue now is that there is not anymore one /runtime/texture folder but there seems to be one SKUNUMBER folder for each product and inside that a unique texture folder

Okay, this confirms my earlier opinion.

I will never, ever use Connect in any way, shape or form. This extreme change to a system that has been standard for many years is stupid.

Why can't there be a single /textures/ folder?

Quoted for agreement. Think about it, the more complex a "storage" methodology is  the more prone to breakage it becomes. Was thinking about testing out the new version. Now... nope. 

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996

It could be argued that storing everything in self contained folders is actually a much simpler method; it'll certainly make manually removing the files of only one product much simpler. That said, trying to find texture files (for example if you want to use a different skin on a model and have to navigate to them) via sku with no actual name is really irritating. I'm going to wind up having to make a completely separate textures folder of all the character images I like using.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    lx said:

It could be argued that storing everything in self contained folders is actually a much simpler method; it'll certainly make manually removing the files of only one product much simpler. That said, trying to find texture files (for example if you want to use a different skin on a model and have to navigate to them) via sku with no actual name is really irritating. I'm going to wind up having to make a completely separate textures folder of all the character images I like using.

It could, but I wouldn't bother arguing such.

What Daz 4.9 offers in the way of render speed increase is good; I just can't get used to the smart (it's not - just like smart phones and tvs aren't) content. I find it way more work; and a huge time sink for sorting it out.

nicstt said:
    lx said:

What Daz 4.9 offers in the way of render speed increase is good; I just can't get used to the smart (it's not - just like smart phones and tvs aren't) content. I find it way more work; and a huge time sink for sorting it out.

I use the category system via content library, not smart content, so I won't be using smart either. Nor do I like that Connect content will be organised via SKU making it really annoying to find specific texture files. I think that the new system is more annoying for many end users that actually use the various files, but probably simpler for general basic customers who break things without knowing what they're doing, and this layout is probably simpler from the Daz end, so the "it's more complex" argument doesn't really work, that's all. I still don't personally like it.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    lx said:
    nicstt said:
    lx said:

I use the category system via content library, not smart content, so I won't be using smart either. Nor do I like that Connect content will be organised via SKU making it really annoying to find specific texture files. I think that the new system is more annoying for many end users that actually use the various files, but probably simpler for general basic customers who break things without knowing what they're doing, and this layout is probably simpler from the Daz end, so the "it's more complex" argument doesn't really work, that's all. I still don't personally like it.

I broke a few things when I first started; reinstalled a couple of times; it tought me a lot. :)

Yeh, the catagory system takes a lot of work; I've a relatively paltry 2000 items, and arranging those how I like takes more work than work; I like what I have now.

• BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761
    edited November 2015

How is morphs going to work in older figures like V4 and V3 when they are not in the same folder? I have beautiful bends for V4 and M4, How's it suppose to work through the clould and smart interface?

Post edited by BurstAngel on
  • takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,914
    edited November 2015
    The new folder structure seems to be:

In general:

Specific example:

The issue now is that there is not anymore one /runtime/texture folder but there seems to be one SKUNUMBER folder for each product and inside that a unique texture folder

I will never, ever use Connect in any way, shape or form. This extreme change to a system that has been standard for many years is stupid.

Because techs/programmers are hopelessly addicted to overly complex systems and subroutines, requiring months of strenuous data crunching...It's what they live for! wink (Satire, meant for fun)laugh

I do agree that it will not help very much as this is still a hobbiest's medium for the most part, and if you take a look at the majority of the user base, you'll see they aren't working in the industry, not to take away the users who are working in the industry, but they are in the minority.

I do applaud DAZ for trying to go in that direction though, and to be honest they are actually succeeding in some respects, but they're still over complicating a program that their main user base are used to, which we will see how this plays out..Hopefully for the best of both worlds as they get more exposure to the gaming/3D and virtual reality industry..Speaking of which, imagine working in daz studio on your literal desktop via ocular rift!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,303
    edited November 2015

Don't know if this is a beta issue or not:

Since about two days at startup of DS4.9 BETA I get the error message:

Cannot establish a connection to PostgreSQL CMS.

Original setup:

- I had installed the release version of PostgreSQL CMS with the DIM

- I installed the public build of DS 4.9 BETA with the DIM

So far in all the previous BETA versions I did not get any error messages with this setup.

Unsuccessfull steps to try to fix the issue:

- I uninstalled and installed PostgreSQL CMS with the DIM. Error message still appears.

- I installed PostgreSQL CMS Public Build. This did uninstall the release version automatically. Error message still appears.

- I uninstalled and installed DAZ Studio 4.9 BETA again. Error message still appears.

Update / Edit:

solved I guess.

Returned about three hours later and now it is working again without me doing any other steps.

No PostgreSQL connection.jpg
    Post edited by linvanchene on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 10,935

How is morphs going to work in older figures like V4 and V3 when they are not in the same folder? I have beautiful bends for V4 and M4, How's it suppose to work through the clould and smart interface?

It doesn't work for V4 or any figure using EXP technology, that was stated in the FAQ. The problem with those is that you need all the morphs in the same folder to compute the list of morph channels, so it can't work with the "one filder per product" paradigm/

V3 would work I think: the list of channels is pre-built in the cr2, all they have to do is to look for the morph itself in the product directory rather than the main Runtime when they inject it. 

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,437

In general:

Specific example:

Because techs/programmers are hopelessly addicted to overly complex systems and subroutines, requiring months of strenuous data crunching...It's what they live for! wink (Satire, meant for fun)laugh

I do agree that it will not help very much as this is still a hobbiest's medium for the most part, and if you take a look at the majority of the user base, you'll see they aren't working in the industry, not to take away the users who are working in the industry, but they are in the minority.

I do applaud DAZ for trying to go in that direction though, and to be honest they are actually succeeding in some respects, but they're still over complicating a program that their main user base are used to, which we will see how this plays out..Hopefully for the best of both worlds as they get more exposure to the gaming/3D and virtual reality industry..Speaking of which, imagine working in daz studio on your literal desktop via ocular rift!

I don't really understand the seeming enormous resistance to this new iteration of Smart Content. As someone who has routinely had multiple runtimes (10+, maybe?) and often found myself spending more time moving stuff around than actually USING it, I am so on board with this. I got Michael 7 yesterday... there was a time when I would have had to scroll and click all over the place to find the pieces I wanted to try and experiment with, not so yesterday: I just went to Smart Content and with a couple clicks some toggling of the context filter and I was finding and grabbing all the things I wanted. Must admit the Genesis 3 Starter Essentials could have used a little bit more work in the meta data for the wardrobe, but other than that... everything was filed away nicely and easy to find.  And I really didn't have to anything extra.

• The problem I have is that most of my products don't show up in the smart tab. It's in the product catagory in my Content Library tab and I can install it from there with cloud. For example, I recently bought Drucilla for Lillith 6, but it does not show up in smart tab at all, I first have to find it in my product catagory in the Library Content Tab, install through cloud. Then I right click on the product so it can show up in smart. But it will not stay in the smart tab, it seem that I can only catagorize it through the Content Library tab. Smart tab doesn't work if my stuff isn't seen. And yes, the info tab says that the product has metadata.

Well I don't mind not using V4M4 with DAZ Connect, So if I finally start liking Smart Content Tab (Right now its nothing but a pain) I'd rather use it with Genesis and up going forward. I'm guessing this whole DAZ Connect and Cloud system with be completed with Studio 5.... not sure I'd want it....

• The new folder structure seems to be:

In general:

Specific example:

I don't really understand the seeming enormous resistance to this new iteration of Smart Content. As someone who has routinely had multiple runtimes (10+, maybe?) and often found myself spending more time moving stuff around than actually USING it, I am so on board with this. I got Michael 7 yesterday... there was a time when I would have had to scroll and click all over the place to find the pieces I wanted to try and experiment with, not so yesterday: I just went to Smart Content and with a couple clicks some toggling of the context filter and I was finding and grabbing all the things I wanted. Must admit the Genesis 3 Starter Essentials could have used a little bit more work in the meta data for the wardrobe, but other than that... everything was filed away nicely and easy to find.  And I really didn't have to anything extra.

I must agree, I find the Smart Content to be a very powerful and useful tool. I have spent a significant amount of time learning all of the ins and outs so I can add all of my content to it. I also feel that more effort is required in ensuring that there is a consistent and uniform meta data format used by the Vendors and/or DAZ.

All that being said, streamlining the process of adding a product to Smart Content would be a very welcome and I strongly believe that everyone would be far more reseptive to the feature if that were the case. Although Generation 4 (V4/M4) cannot directly be added into the process as per the information regarding EXP and morphs, all of the generation 4 clothing, props and accessories can be added to Smart Content and they work very well. I know that is true because I have over 2000 items in my Smart Content for generation 4 & 3 characters.

• I just looked through the change log for the Beta, does this mean what I think it does?: 'Fixed drag-n-drop creation of metadata in the Smart Content pane'

Will we be able to drag and drop items into the Smart Content from the somewhere else? If so, where can things be draged from?

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited November 2015

I'm Reinstalling 4.9beta now, tho I'm curious why 3DL would be doing this. I tried closing Beta, cleared the cache folder, ans started Beta again, and the same. Very odd I think. There is renders all over the place of what this test chamber floor should look like, lol.

Ah, yep. The reinstall didn't fix it. What is up with the floor in 3DL?

"Very damaged. Zathras can never have anything nice." lol.

20151118_Odd_Stuff_3DL_002.png
    1536 x 738 - 188K
    20151118_Odd_Stuff_3DL_Studio48_001.png
    1375 x 695 - 202K
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

ZDG, check the render settings and see if the Max  Raytrace Depth is the same between 4.9 and 4.8.

edited November 2015

Same, four. Thing is, the color scale cube is not tiled correctly (H 3, V 2), not just the floor. Yet the same exact scene is loading and working fine in Studio 4.8 64bit.

And the view field is absolutely not in Iray, lol.

20151118_Odd_Stuff_3DL_Studio49_settings_001.png
    1310 x 767 - 176K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

File a ticket...there was something like that in a much older beta (before 4.8 beta) and was a problem in the build, if I recall. 

I can't play around with the beta, not enough drive space to set it up as a parallel option and not going to replace 4.8, yet, so I can't double check for a settings error (but the most obvious one is not the problem).

• mjc1016 said:

File a ticket...there was something like that in a much older beta (before 4.8 beta) and was a problem in the build, if I recall. 

I can't play around with the beta, not enough drive space to set it up as a parallel option and not going to replace 4.8, yet, so I can't double check for a settings error (but the most obvious one is not the problem).

Will do. Tho I'm really hoping there working on that Ray-caching thing, as that would be really nice.

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,171

New build, new thread... 4.9.0.36

-Rob

edited November 2015
    rbtwhiz said:

New build, new thread... 4.9.0.36

-Rob

Got it, I will pause typing the bug report, lol.

In general:

Specific example:

I can only speak for myself, but the reason I don't prefer to use it is because it would mean that I would have to rely exclusively on the default settings/online mandate which I don't care to, as I have a horrid ISP, so it's not a question of the new system's functionality as much as it's inflexible customization. I'm sure that it's a brilliant system for automating content management, but it's too inflexible, if we had more flexibility...And yes, you're right about the scrolling, the constant scrolling can be irritating, but from what I've read in these threads in order to replace a texture you have to attempt to find the SKU number of that texture, and just like with steam's save files, it would be too time consuming to try and figure out what SKU 29-3474-77900 is to which and what asset? But for fairness I'm going to give this smart content a whirl and see how it works.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited November 2015

You need to be online once to register the machine, and currently (but not in the future) you have to download Connect content directly to the machine. But you don't need to be online to use your content. You can still use custom categories, but it is apaprently best to have a parallel structure rather than mixing them in with the default Daz categories.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited November 2015

because  all files (texture, duf , and  dsf etc,)of one product  need to be gathered in one product directory and separate from each product, to manage install or up-date, easy by DAZ connect.   I think.

the SKU directories ,My DAZ 3D Library\data\cloud\SKUNUMBER,  seems new root directory  of each product ,,

then is there way to install this version again?

Post edited by kitakoredaz on

Would it not be possible to have it do SKU-ShortNameHere or something? I know folders have total character limits but as long as no one's making products with ridiculous title names it should be doable? Even that would be better than having nothing but a number to go by.

edited November 2015

You need to be online once to register the machine, and currently (but not in the future) you have to download Connect content directly to the machine. But you don't need to be online to use your content. You can still use custom categories, but it is apaprently best to have a parallel structure rather than mixing them in with the default Daz categories.

Thanks for the online clarifacation, that eases my concerns somewhat...

The reason why I'm so anal about custom directories are because of the D/S content directories being strewn all over my C drive, first it's: My (Pointless) Library that was located in the documents, (Per User) then public, and finally buried in the appdata folder, not to mention the content folder having several differing "shader/Materials/Lighting" folders which was also located in several of the libraries folders, I have multiple HDDs so my games/3D progs are located of different drives due to space reserved for my C drive.

I give kudos somewhat for the consolidation, but now I would have to deal with not only the multiple folders strewn accross my drive, but now I have to attempt to hunt for a different texture by going through SKU numbers...That is, if I were to use the default settings, *(In the voice of McCoy,)  ****Jim, I'm a Human not an automiton!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on