Clothing in a scene but NOT on a character

DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384
edited November 2015 in New Users

I'm sure there is a way to do this but I haven't had any success finding it. How can I have clothes in a scene but NOT on a character? i.e. jacket on a chair, dirty clothes or shoes on the floor ect...bascially, can purchased clothing be used as individual "props"?

Post edited by DDCreate on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited November 2015

JUst load them...don't select the character and click on them.  They should just load in the default location.  (You may need to load them from the Content Library pane, as opposed to Smart Content).

Be warned, though, most items don't have folded, draped or dropped morphs.

Some of the Daz Dynamic clothing works pretty well draped over items in the scene...

Here is a link to 16 pages of free Daz Dynamic items that are all usable with the free version of the Dynamic Clothing plugin that is included with Studio.

You load the clothing as I mentioned above, with no figure selected, position it over a scene element (one warning, if you are dropping to a floor, a single poly plane does not have a high enough mesh density to prevent fall through...) and then in the Dynamic plugin (you'll probably have to add the tab for it...), set the collision object (usually the item you are dropping it onto is enough, but if you want it half on a chair and on the rest on the floor...you'll need to add the floor....or sveral things in a pile will need to collide with each other...) and then drape.

clothingdrop.png
    800 x 1024 - 535K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,107

Sure you can :)

when you load the clothes into the scene, if they automatically fit themselves to your character you can fix that :)

Select the clothes you want to lay on the floor in the Scene tab.

Right click it on the scene tab and select "unparent"

On the Parameters pane scroll down to "fit-to" and click it,in the popup menu select "none" then click "accept"

Now your clothing item should be unparented and not "fit-to" anything so you can move it about the scene as you want :)

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

Some clothing items by some PAs (SickleYield for one) include one, or more, 'prop' morphs to just this - to have the item lay naturally on a flat surface.  It's rarer to have a 'hang' morph but I think I have seen one .. somewhere.

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384

icecrmn/mjc...

I think I'm getting two different answers.  MJC says that if I lay it on the floor it will fall through. Ice, you say it will work. How do you prevent fall through? Thanks for BOTh of your help, i just want to make sure i understand. Thanks again!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

You can put clothing into scenes without the person (just double click on the clothing item it will populate)  I don't know how well you can pose it once its in there though

edited November 2015

icecrmn/mjc...

I think I'm getting two different answers.  MJC says that if I lay it on the floor it will fall through. Ice, you say it will work. How do you prevent fall through? Thanks for BOTh of your help, i just want to make sure i understand. Thanks again!

It's the dynamic only clothing that will fall through the floor...

There are also several scripts written by mCasual (a regular poster here on the forums) that aid in placing prop items in a scene...they will do things like making dropping shoes very easy.

His scripts...

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts/mcjdroptotop

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts3/mcjplaceunder

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts5/mcjdroptoterrain

This one has a floor...and the stockings are colliding with both the floor and the sofa.  It is a simple plane, but instead of a single division, it has 24, giving it enough density so the stockings aren't falling through.

clothingdrop2.png
    800 x 1024 - 1M
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,107

The dynamic clothing mjc is using will give better results.

My way just puts the conforming clothes into the scene, and you have to fiddle with it alot to get good "piles of clothes" type look.His is alot easier and you can get a few free dynamics to play with.

I'm not sure if you've played with the dynamic clothes yet, but they have a tendency to turn into "liquid" and oooze thru the stuff you wanted them to impact with if you have things like lights on the "Collide with" list.

The Collide with list is the list of stuff in the scene you want to clothes to impact, and because computers are dumb, it will try to impact with the lights and anything else on the list :)

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384

Ahhhh, gotcha. I get it now. And thanks for the script links!

edited November 2015
    icecrmn said:

The Collide with list is the list of stuff in the scene you want to clothes to impact, and because computers are dumb, it will try to impact with the lights and anything else on the list :)

Yes...because in real life...especially after a frat party...you will find all sorts of interesting things that collided with the lights.  laugh

And Blackfeather1073 has some morph-addons for a few items to turn them into props...

http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=blackfeather1973

They are for:

Fisty's Ankle Socks: http://www.sharecg.com/v/77514/view/5/3D-Model/Ankle-Socks-for-Genesis-1-DS-and-Poser

Wilmap's: Genesis 2 Female Short Skirt & Jumper (found on her site https://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk/view_product.php?id=217)

SickleYield's Super Tee

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136

There is also http://www.daz3d.com/make-a-mess which uses the MFD.

• hi good night can someone give me an orientation, I clicked Daz 4.10 when I will wear any clothes, I want to move the character goes and raoupa gets how I do to pear that clothes or footwear goes along with persongem even moves, thank you.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136

hi good night can someone give me an orientation, I clicked Daz 4.10 when I will wear any clothes, I want to move the character goes and raoupa gets how I do to pear that clothes or footwear goes along with persongem even moves, thank you.

You must fit the clothing to the character. It is not enough to just parent the clothing to the character. Select the character in the Scene pane and then double click on the clothing and it should automatically be fit to the character. When you pose the character or move the character, the clothing will move and pose with the character.

• TaziraiTazirai Posts: 36

Thanks foe this answer

IceCrMn said:

Sure you can :)

when you load the clothes into the scene, if they automatically fit themselves to your character you can fix that :)

Select the clothes you want to lay on the floor in the Scene tab.

Right click it on the scene tab and select "unparent"

On the Parameters pane scroll down to "fit-to" and click it,in the popup menu select "none" then click "accept"

Now your clothing item should be unparented and not "fit-to" anything so you can move it about the scene as you want :)