Cat-like ’eyeshine’ in Daz 3D - Tutorial Page 6

124»

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Sorry Marcus, I didn't take it any further at the moment, got a bit distracted by other things, like a contest to set up, helpothers do the same, etc etc. I will get there eventually.

• chrisschellchrisschell Posts: 267
    edited December 1969

Looks like you've started some serious thinking here Marcus... lol ;)

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

@Cho - Looking forward to it :)

@Chriss - Hopefully all this will inspire some fantastic renders :cheese: I reccon it'd work really well with the humanoid cats sold here, not to mention Devils lol ---- In terms of the changing reflected coloured surface, I'm sure people could addapt the tutorial to do such a thing. I didn't need that effect personally on current renders but anyone wishing to expand this tutorial would be most welcome to post expansions here! :cheese:

It'd be interesting to see what the Daz community comes up with also :)

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much for this tutorial.

edited December 1969

Your welcome Anikad :cheese:

edited September 2012

I'd found a trick at one point by accident that worked as a shifting colour based on camera angle... it worked by setting different colours for diffuse, specularity and ambient so that as you angled the camera away from the light source the colour would shift... I can't recall off-hand exactly how I managed it but if I can get it figured out I'll add it in here... :)

I think I managed it by setting the diffuse to a neon greenish colour, the specular to a neon yellow and the ambient to a neon red colour... but you'd have to experiment with it... I just stumbled into it at one point by mistake while working on something else... lol

*edited for spelling*

Post edited by chrisschell on
    edited December 1969

OOOO... That sounds interesting, cant wait!! :cheese:

edited December 1969

Once I get some of my commercial projects cleared away I'll tinker with it and see if I can find the right mix to make it work...

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Moved to The Art Studio at the OP's request.

• daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

This is great stuff! I'll have to try it out and then see if I can duplicate the effect in Blender Cycles.

• daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
    edited February 2013

So, this was my personal project for the weekend: Make a scene with eyeshine in Blender using its Cycles renderer. I studied Spyro's tutorial and set up my character in DS using his settings. It seemed to work pretty well. I wish I was more familiar with how DS adds and mixes its shader components. I have a feeling that there are sub-nodes involved in the uber nodes. In Cycles there are discreet blocks for diffuse, glossy, transparency, refraction, etc. Mix and match to get various effects.

Anyway, the key to eyeshine, from what I could see, is to have at least two glossy nodes for the pupil with the desired reflection colors. I used two glossy nodes and a velvet node factored with fresnel. This, and some careful lighting, produced the effect I wanted.

My character is supposed to be a vampire. After all, humans don't have real eyeshine. Vampires are creatures of the night, so one could assume that whatever it is that makes them vampires also gives them eyeshine. For the character I used Ashley for M5 with Santo International textures. Santo includes emo/vampire textures and bloodshot eyes. Initially I went with the vampire eyes and used the fresnel/velvet mix on the pupil to give a bright red ring around the eyeshine, but found the mix of colors and intensities distracting. I decided that a normal eye color would let the eyeshine 'shine' so to speak.

Edit: I forgot to add that the city bus came from Blend Swap. Credit goes to hjmediastudios.

vampire4.jpg
    1920 x 1280 - 352K
    vampire2.jpg
    960 x 640 - 116K
    Post edited by daveleitz on
    edited December 1969

Nice work Dave looks great! When you think about it, Vampires would have some form of eyeshine, after all they are nocturnal, and your average human eyes certainly aren't of much use to nocturnal beings. :) Great to see you made use of it well done :cheese:

• rpm45rpm45 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Spyro (and everyone) for all this development and the excellent tutorial. I have a werewolf character in full-human form I've been working on, and I've been trying to figure out a way to indicate "werewolf" (or at least "supernatural") without actually shapeshifting her; eyeshine is perfect. Have a look:

http://rpm45.deviantart.com/art/Portrait-of-Nico-the-Werewolf-358128155

The eyeshine is pretty subtle in that shot because I've got the key light pretty far off to the side; this is not an effect one could easily get by painting pupils or using point lights. Thanks again!

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited January 2014

Hey there,

I kept saying I'd get round to trying this tutorial out one day, and now I have. Now that G2 has an eye surface, I transferred your settings for the cornea to the eye reflection and everything worked like a charm.

Thanks for putting this together, your settings will now be the only ones I'll use for eyes

CHEERS!

M6_Bjorn_Glass_Eyes.jpg
    576 x 745 - 225K
    Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited December 1969

Something just occurred to me,

When a light shines directly into the eyes, the pupil will contract. Remember that scene in Jurassic Park when the girl shines the torch into the eyes of the T-Rex!? Well, our pupils will react in the same way, so, if you know that your figure will be in a position where the light will be shining straight into the eyes, then reduce the pupil dilation accordingly.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

You can see in this render what I meant about the pupils contracting, I adjusted them when setting it up.

CHEERS!

V6_Anna_Glass_Eyes.jpg
    576 x 745 - 244K