FREEBIE CHALLENGE ----- October, and it's TRICK OR TREAT TIME ---- Main Thread

Comments

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086

Ok. Here is my entry.

Halloween time

Done with Daz Studio 4.8

Items marked with an asterisk require registration.

Not Counting: Victoria 4 figure

Freebies:

1.) V4 Alta Morphs

2.)* V4 Faith Textures

3.) Black cat for V4 DS Version

4.) More Styles for BlackCat V4 Black choker with silver key texture

5.)* Black Cat Fever Black dress texture

6.)* Footwear for the V4 Windwalker by Jan19

7.)* Riding Rainbow Grey texture

8.)* Haunted House

9.) Halloween Junkies Glutton Boo

10.) Halloween Junkies 2014 Jack

11.) August Hair

12.)* August Hair++

13.)* Realistic for August Hair This was used because of the transmaps needed for the next file

14.) Fantasy for August Hair Violet texture

15.)* Render Profiles for DAZ Studio 4.5 (Rendered on Insane)

16.)* Morphing Witches Hat Last on the page

Another cool one!

Dana

• Chelle the CatChelle the Cat Posts: 239
    edited October 2015

Wow, okay I don't think I have ever gotten an entry done before the end of the month.,,

The Headless Horseman

ETA my entry - this whole two threads things has me confused beyond belief...

Links check out.  ENTRY ACCEPTED

New procedures can be confusing and is most difficult for the person that goes first.  Thank you Chelle for being our first guinea pig.   image

Just a reminder, however, that the entry must be accepted first in this Main Thread BEFORE it is posted to the Entry Thread.

LOL That was the part that got me confused heh laugh

And thanks everyone!

Nice entry MilosGulan!

Post edited by Chelle the Cat on
  • Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820
    edited October 2015
    taemimun said:

Oooo... very creepy!  nice work Chelle!   NIce use of fire on the ground!  laugh

Excellent indeed :D I'm quoting Skywalker's cause I don't know how to put the picture like that haha :P

Still have no idea for mine...

Hi taemimun,  here is a quickie tutorial on how to add images and change the image sizes in your post:

(oops the image didn't attach)  

how to add images.png
    755 x 905 - 280K
    Post edited by Sky77 on
  • CherubitCherubit Posts: 982

Help please? :/
    Whenever I render with Iray there are lights in my render, even if I didn't put any... But this time I want a dark environment... Anybody knows how to turn off those automatic lights?

edited October 2015
    taemimun said:

Whenever I render with Iray there are lights in my render, even if I didn't put any... But this time I want a dark environment... Anybody knows how to turn off those automatic lights?

I'm not sure if this is the issue since I don't use Iray, but your Camera "headlamp" may be on and may be affecting the Render. You can turn off the camera headlamp in the parameters tab.  I think it is either "on" or "auto" by default.  You can switch it to "off"

camera light.png
    400 x 435 - 30K
    Post edited by Sky77 on
    taemimun said:

I'm not sure if this is the issue since I don't use Iray, but your Camera "headlamp" may be on and may be affecting the Render. You can turn off the camera headlamp in the parameters tab.  I think it is either "on" or "auto" by default.  You can switch it to "off"

Thank you :) I turned off and there's still light as if it's day :|

edited October 2015
    taemimun said:
    taemimun said:

It might be that you have your environmental dome lights on.  This is what gives the ambient light - so you are right, even without additional lights, the sky dome will light up your scene.  Try turning off the dome lights and render the "scene only".

(oops for some reason I am having problems attaching files today!)

camera light 2.png
    399 x 538 - 49K
    Post edited by Sky77 on
    edited October 2015
    taemimun said:
    taemimun said:

It might be that you have your environmental dome lights on.  This is what gives the ambient light - so you are right, even without additional lights, the sky dome will light up your scene.  Try turning off the dome lights and render the "scene only".

Thank you! :D I need to find an Iray manual :~~ I think this time I will use 3Delight though, I'm putting too many things in the scene and it feels kinda heavy on my poor machine, but I am facing some metaphysical issues with 3Delight! :O Hm, is it ok to post WIPs here? :| I have a cauldron and inside it I put a point light to lighten the potion... But under the cauldron you can see the light shining even though it's inside of it, and there's no way the light can pass :x and I have some candle problems too sad

Post edited by Cherubit on
  • Even if you're doing a dark scene you still need some light.
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    taemimun said:
    taemimun said:
    taemimun said:

Thank you! :D I need to find an Iray manual :~~ I think this time I will use 3Delight though, I'm putting too many things in the scene and it feels kinda heavy on my poor machine, but I am facing some metaphysical issues with 3Delight! :O Hm, is it ok to post WIPs here? :| I have a cauldron and inside it I put a point light to lighten the potion... But under the cauldron you can see the light shining even though it's inside of it, and there's no way the light can pass :x and I have some candle problems too sad

Yes...it is okay to put WIPs here...once they have been accepted they must be moved to the Entries Thread and cannot be changed.

edited October 2015
    Even if you're doing a dark scene you still need some light.

Hey Tramp Graphics,  

Just making sure you checked your PM since last month's contest!  wink

Post edited by Sky77 on
    taemimun said:
    taemimun said:
    taemimun said:

Is the point light doing that again?  Funny I thought they fixed that a few iterations ago.  Couple of things:  Make sure your shadow for the point light are on - otherwise the light will shine through everything until it is programmed to fall off.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Is the point light doing that again?  Funny I thought they fixed that a few iterations ago.  Couple of things:  Make sure your shadow for the point light are on - otherwise the light will shine through everything until it is programmed to fall off.

Also, make sure the point light is actually INSIDE and not halfway through the bottom.

edited October 2015

Hey Taemimun,

Yup the problem came back.  See the test render below:  From left to right

Pot on left:  point light has no shadows

Pot in middle :  point light has deep shadows on

Pot in right:  point light has ray traced shadows

Looks like another bug to fix.  wink

point light test.jpg
    533 x 400 - 48K
    Post edited by Sky77 on
  • Even if you're doing a dark scene you still need some light.

Hey Tramp Graphics,  

Yeah. I simply haven't used it yet. I'm saving up for a larger purchase from my wish list.
    edited October 2015

Thank you everyone for answering! laugh Yes, I'm getting no shadows... So it's manual to set it up? I thought it would be under Lights on the panel next to Surfaces, but my Shadows option there is not available...

@Skywalker77 how did you do that? surprise

Post edited by Cherubit on
  • Yes,the lights tab should have the shadows setting. The only other reason for no shadows is if your sky dome is casting a shadow over the whole scene. In that case,you'll need to go to the parameters tab under Display and turn off Cast Shadows on the sky dome.

taemimun said:

Thank you everyone for answering! laugh Yes, I'm getting no shadows... So it's manual to set it up? I thought it would be under Lights on the panel next to Surfaces, but my Shadows option there is not available...

I noticed the shadow settings were unavailable as well... until I changed the render engine from Iray to 3Delight.  Once the you change the render settings, the shadow options appear.  wink 

Even if you're doing a dark scene you still need some light.

Hey Tramp Graphics,  

Yeah. I simply haven't used it yet. I'm saving up for a larger purchase from my wish list.

Cool!  wink

Yes,the lights tab should have the shadows setting. The only other reason for no shadows is if your sky dome is casting a shadow over the whole scene. In that case,you'll need to go to the parameters tab under Display and turn off Cast Shadows on the sky dome.

This Parameters Display is in Lights tab? Or Parameters tab itself?

taemimun said:

I noticed the shadow settings were unavailable as well... until I changed the render engine from Iray to 3Delight.  Once the you change the render settings, the shadow options appear.  wink 

I'm in 3Delight and it doesn't show :/ sigh...

• taemimun said:
    Yes,the lights tab should have the shadows setting. The only other reason for no shadows is if your sky dome is casting a shadow over the whole scene. In that case,you'll need to go to the parameters tab under Display and turn off Cast Shadows on the sky dome.

It's under the parameters tab.
    taemimun said:

It's under the parameters tab.

Oh I found it, thank you :)

WIPs.

1st - Iray (Im not satisfied with the lights on the wall)

2nd - 3Delight with metaphysical lights

3rd - 3Delight with lights/shadows corrected, I need those lights to be more shiny though...

4th - Candle problem on the flame (3delight)

I still don't know which render to use...

Halloween27.png
    527 x 527 - 203K
    Halloween26.png
    527 x 527 - 277K
    Halloween28.png
    527 x 527 - 236K
    Halloween30.png
    527 x 527 - 284K

Those are looking pretty good so far.  I like the background glow in the first one.  Gives it a little more eeriness surprise and also gives the render more depth.  Very cool effect.

you can still replicate that in 3delight using a spot light.  That will also make your character stand out a little better from the dark background.  

How did you get the glow effect in the candles?  not quite sure where the green outline came from on the candle on the right, but the one on the left (on top of the skull) is quite convincing laugh

Nice work, I can't wait to see the final product!  laugh

taemimun said:

WIPs.

1st - Iray (Im not satisfied with the lights on the wall)

2nd - 3Delight with metaphysical lights

3rd - 3Delight with lights/shadows corrected, I need those lights to be more shiny though...

4th - Candle problem on the flame (3delight)

I still don't know which render to use...

On the first iray render...did you adjust the Film ISO in the Tone Mapping? 

The green outline on the flame is from having the intensity way too high...it should be about 1/10 of what it is.

@Skywalker77 thank you so much :D the candles flame came with the candles freebies I downloaded, and to make them generate light I made a point light exactly the same place as they are :)

@Kismet2012 no I didn't adjust :O because... what don't know what that is :P Usually I just leave things the way they are and add objects lol... What happens if I adjust that?

@mjc1016 Oh I didn't know... I wanted them to illuminate the scenery... should I add more lights and make the point light 1/10 of intensity? (is it intensity? it was 100% and I put 200%, the maximun)

The Tone Mapping settings are similar to a photographic camera...in low light siutations you want a "film" with a higher ISO.  It allows more light to penetrate.  You can Google camera settings for info but I would suggest a setting of 400 for your render.

taemimun said:

@mjc1016 Oh I didn't know... I wanted them to illuminate the scenery... should I add more lights and make the point light 1/10 of intensity? (is it intensity? it was 100% and I put 200%, the maximun)

If it is a linear point or has falloff turned off 100% is way too bright. 

If it's a 'regular' point light, then...put it back to 100%...and then drop the intensity scale to 100 (as opposed to the 1000 it is at default).  Then adjust the intensity up in small increments.