FREEBIE CHALLENGE ----- October, and it's TRICK OR TREAT TIME ---- Main Thread

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited October 2015 in Freebies

TRICK OR TREAT

Yes, it's that time of the year when our minds turn to

Ghoulies and Ghosties and Long leggedy beasties 

and things that go bump in the night.

So get your thinking caps on and see what you can come up with on a Halloween Theme

New Rules Apply This Month   so visit the thread here and study them

New Rules For the Freebie Challenge

First Place: $15 store credit from DAZ3D
Second Place: $12 store credit from DAZ3D
Third Place: $8 store credit from DAZ3D

Any other donations for prizes thankfully accepted.

And Once again SkyWalker77 has offered to flesh out the prize pot with $5 vouchers for 2 HMs. 

Contest ends 31st October 2015

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,209

Look forward to this.  Halloween is one of my favorite holidays.

• Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820

I guess my leaf render will have to wait until next year!  cheeky

Question about the new rules, where is this new "Entry Thread"?  I assume this is the "Main Thread"?  

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2015

Question about the new rules, where is this new "Entry Thread"?  I assume this is the "Main Thread"?  

Oh whoops.  I guess I forgot to read the small print.  OK will be creating an Entry only thread.  All we need in there is the images and the title, as the links are already in the main thread.  As soon as your entry is accetped you can transfer it to the Entry Thread.  The nice thing about having a WIP thread and an entry thread is that you get to see all the images together, without any chat,  and in the WIP thread you can chat, play around, have fun etc.

edited October 2015
    Chohole said:

Oh whoops.  I guess I forgot to read the small print.  OK will be creating an Entry only thread.  All we need in there is the images and the title, as the links are already in the main thread.  As soon as your entry is accetped you can transfer it to the Entry Thread.  The nice thing about having a WIP thread and an entry thread is that you get to see all the images together, without any chat,  and in the WIP thread you can chat, play around, have fun etc.

Cool,  this will be tons easier for the judges for sure... and for us to check out the competition!  cheeky

Couple of more clarifications about the new rules, as I know these will come up later so I will preemptively bring it up now  wink:

1. Do the DAZ freebies include the "PC" freebies or just what is available to the general public?
    2. If in the event we do use postwork, do we post both the original and the postworked version on the Entry Thread or just here in the Main thread?  Oops, I apparently didn't read the rules well the first time. blush  the answer is Yes, it needs to be posted in the Entry Thread as well.  
    3. Is simply merging elements of several renders, whether it is done in parts (e.g. rendering lights and shadows separately like some recommend, or adding elements later that were either forgotten or too large / complex to for a weaker computer to render without crashing wink) together in a graphics program like Gimp or Photoshop considered "postwork"?
    4. Assuming the above is true, do we need to post all the elements just here or also on the Final Entry Thread?

I think that's all I can think of... for now.  devil

Post edited by Sky77 on
  • Personally, I prefer we keep only one thread for the Freebie contest, not separate "WIP" and "Entry" threads. 

Oh, I knew there would be one more:

5.  Are base characters included in Poser (James, Jessie, as well as the animals pack in Poser, etc) considered "no-count" items as well?

I know we've hashed all of these out before but since it is not well detailed in the new rules, I just wanna get it out there and carved in digital stone.  cheeky

edited October 2015

I can answer that one, yes James and Jesse are counted as base figures, so no counts.  Not sure about the animals, as DS doesn't have any animal figures included, only human(ish).  I do know we decided that the add on content which was also availalbe as commercial items wouldn't be allowed.

Personally, I prefer we keep only one thread for the Freebie contest, not separate "WIP" and "Entry" threads. 

The way I see it is that it will be similar to way Kendall used to have a Freebie Contest Gallery separate from the actual thread so that everyone could find all the entries better.   All the entries will still need to be entered here first for approval anyway, so there really is no change the way we've done things except to remember to add just the images to the entry thread once it gets approved here.  Less digging through the thread and the chance of missing an entry!  wink

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783

Cool,  this will be tons easier for the judges for sure... and for us to check out the competition!  cheeky

Couple of more clarifications about the new rules, as I know these will come up later so I will preemptively bring it up now  wink:

1. Do the DAZ freebies include the "PC" freebies or just what is available to the general public?
    2. If in the event we do use postwork, do we post both the original and the postworked version on the Entry Thread or just here in the Main thread?  Oops, I apparently didn't read the rules well the first time. blush  the answer is Yes, it needs to be posted in the Entry Thread as well.  
    3. Is simply merging elements of several renders, whether it is done in parts (e.g. rendering lights and shadows separately like some recommend, or adding elements later that were either forgotten or too large / complex to for a weaker computer to render without crashing wink) together in a graphics program like Gimp or Photoshop considered "postwork"?
    4. Assuming the above is true, do we need to post all the elements just here or also on the Final Entry Thread?

On the entries thread, I would like the links and image etc all in the entries thread as well, That way it makes it nice and easy for new members looking at the thread to see the image and the lists of all the great freebies all together :) Since you'll post it here to get it "Yes it is all good" stamp just paste the list over :) I know it is a little odd but I wanted a nice spot to park all the wonderful entries you all do with all the great links that didnt have the side chatter or mini contests etc in it so it is easy to see everything :)

As to your questions:

1. PC Freebies count as DAZ Freebies as well, We will call it a membership perk I reckon :) Given the sheer number of freebies out there I don't think it gives anyone some sort of edge to include them :)

2. Definitely needs to be in the Entry thread. It doesn't "have to be" in the WIP thread though...though it would be nice to have it in both :)

3. Yes that would be considered postwork since you have to open a 2D app (App other than Poser, DS, Carrara, etc) to do it.

4. All elements in the Entries Thread. Here is up to you :)

Chohole said:

I can answer that one, yes James and Jesse are counted as base figures, so no counts.  Not sure about the animals, as DS doesn't have any animal figures included, only human(ish).  I do know we decided that the add on content which was also availalbe as commercial items wouldn't be allowed.

Think we will go with human only here so we aren't stretching things too far and since all the apps have some human figures that come with it but not all have other figures like robots, animals, etc :)

Personally, I prefer we keep only one thread for the Freebie contest, not separate "WIP" and "Entry" threads. 

The way I see it is that it will be similar to way Kendall used to have a Freebie Contest Gallery separate from the actual thread so that everyone could find all the entries better.   All the entries will still need to be entered here first for approval anyway, so there really is no change the way we've done things except to remember to add just the images to the entry thread once it gets approved here.  Less digging through the thread and the chance of missing an entry!  wink

Exactly, and once it is up and running we can then do a Sticky thread with links to the entry threads so they will all be easibly findable.

• Cool,  this will be tons easier for the judges for sure... and for us to check out the competition!  cheeky

On the entries thread, I would like the links and image etc all in the entries thread as well, That way it makes it nice and easy for new members looking at the thread to see the image and the lists of all the great freebies all together :) Since you'll post it here to get it "Yes it is all good" stamp just paste the list over :) I know it is a little odd but I wanted a nice spot to park all the wonderful entries you all do with all the great links that didnt have the side chatter or mini contests etc in it so it is easy to see everything :)

As to your questions:

1. PC Freebies count as DAZ Freebies as well, We will call it a membership perk I reckon :) Given the sheer number of freebies out there I don't think it gives anyone some sort of edge to include them :)

2. Definitely needs to be in the Entry thread. It doesn't "have to be" in the WIP thread though...though it would be nice to have it in both :)

3. Yes that would be considered postwork since you have to open a 2D app (App other than Poser, DS, Carrara, etc) to do it.

4. All elements in the Entries Thread. Here is up to you :)

The main problem with that, however, is traditionally, the Freebie contest does not use WIPs. and you've typically only been allowed three alterations to an entry. You only post the final entry. Therefore, separate threads is a waste. It's best to keep it to a single thread. 

Think of this not as a WIP Thread (as it isn't a WIP Thread) This is a discussion, approval, and mini-contest fun thread ;)

Think of this not as a WIP Thread (as it isn't a WIP Thread) This is a discussion, approval, and mini-contest fun thread ;)

and don't forget OT rambling thread with occasional pie fights... where the heck did my cream pie prop go....  cheeky

edited October 2015

This one? 

edited October 2015

Ready... aim... fire!!!!   

Post edited by Sky77 on

Chohole ducks  

too late

LOL!  Cho, you have the coolest little emoji's!  Now, I just need to wait for 2 more unsuspecting victims...er... guests.

edited October 2015

Yeah,  I collect them.  I love this one.  

And I like message smileys 

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Kismet2012 peeks in then run's from potential pie fight.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300

I am so pleased to see you have reversed the no postwork rule, it always seemed so unfair to me for those of us that don't have high powered computers and need to composite.

• CherubitCherubit Posts: 977

It's gonna be fun laugh when will we know about last month's challenge results?

When the Judges have finished working it out  

Which reminds me, I plan on donating $5 DAZ gift cards to the two honorable mentions this month... unless of course, something should happen and...surprise...  um... I... er... there are no honorable mentions!  wink

What again.   there was some guy with a name something like yours,  who did the same for last month. 

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    Chohole said:

What again.   there was some guy with a name something like yours,  who did the same for last month. 

I thought that was Skywalker72?  Or was it Skywalker76?   Very Confused

Are you both sure it was Skywalker?  I thought it was Ski-jumper 70 something myself.  cheeky

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,949
    edited October 2015

Which reminds me, I plan on donating $5 DAZ gift cards to the two honorable mentions this month... unless of course, something should happen and...surprise...  um... I... er... there are no honorable mentions!  wink

Lets hope that will not happen. I might be able to host challenge in the future, still have some work to do outside as it is nice weather smiley now lets see abot that thinking cap laugh

Post edited by MilosGulan on

Winners Posted for September challenge.   

And the Entries thread is now posted here  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/63951/freebie-challenge-october-and-it-s-trick-or-treat-time-entries-only

Any posts made to that thread which are not entries will be removed.