Freebie Challenge Questionaire

2»

Comments

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814
    edited August 2015

I want to reiterate something here that seems to be lost in the postwork debate. I said "SOME" challenges will allow for it and "SOME" will not. We will label it on the challenge itself. To disallow it though completely (to me) is like telling a golfer he can only golf with his 9 Iron. Yes it makes it more challenging but that doesnt mean it makes it "fair" Nor will it necessarily make for a great golf game. For those that depend on the 9 Iron most of the time and don't use the other clubs, they would have a decided advantage in that while those who prefer other clubs would be at a disadvantage. Some people are "Pure" renderers and their talents lie in that area. Others are wonderful at postwork and putting things together. I don't see either group as better, more artistic, more capable, etc than the other. They are just better at different areas of art. To me saying no postwork ever is unfair to those people, and saying postwork always, unfair to those that can do it just in the render. So either we will allow and disallow postwork depending on the contest, make postwork part of mini contests or we will request those that do postwork to have to post before and after postwork shots. Any/All of the above should be fair for everyone.

Also of note, postwork does not mean phenomenal art. I am a postwork person but my artwork is not brilliant (just look at my gallery here LOL) And in the end it goes by who best encompasses the THEME not who did the prettiest picture (postworked or not)

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814

I'm swaying towards the asking for before and after postwork shots and just "allowing" postwork...but I'm still thinking on between the 3 options. Just know in some way postwork will be allowed.

• I want to reiterate something here that seems to be lost in the postwork debate. I said "SOME" challenges will allow for it and "SOME" will not. We will label it on the challenge itself. To disallow it though completely (to me) is like telling a golfer he can only golf with his 9 Iron. Yes it makes it more challenging but that doesnt mean it makes it "fair" Nor will it necessarily make for a great golf game. For those that depend on the 9 Iron most of the time and don't use the other clubs, they would have a decided advantage in that while those who prefer other clubs would be at a disadvantage. Some people are "Pure" renderers and their talents lie in that area. Others are wonderful at postwork and putting things together. I don't see either group as better, more artistic, more capable, etc than the other. They are just better at different areas of art. To me saying no postwork ever is unfair to those people, and saying postwork always, unfair to those that can do it just in the render. So either we will allow and disallow postwork depending on the contest, make postwork part of mini contests or we will request those that do postwork to have to post before and after postwork shots. Any/All of the above should be fair for everyone.

Also of note, postwork does not mean phenomenal art. I am a postwork person but my artwork is not brilliant (just look at my gallery here LOL) And in the end it goes by who best encompasses the THEME not who did the prettiest picture (postworked or not)

I can probably speak for most of the anti postwork people here when I say our main issue is not necessarily in allowing a very limited amount of postwork, such as minor retouching of poke through, or some minor tweaks to the brightness and contrast or color balance and other such  "minor color correction" (though I am sure some of us are against even that). What we don't want is where people are adding and subtracting elements and other special effects that weren't in their original renders, and other major photomanipulations turning the image into something it wasn't in DAZ Studio or Poser (or Bryce, etc). That's not what this challenge is about. This challenge has always been about what we as artists can do in our 3D rendering program of choice using mostly freebie content. Because, at the end of the day, yes, people who excell at postwork do end up with major advantage over those who don't. The opposite is not true whowever. The No Postwork rule creates a level playing field for everyone. And, ultimately, that's what we probably all want. And for the record, this is coming from someone well versed in Adobe Photoshop. 

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    While I'm not against small bits of postwork here and there, I think the issue with a previous comment stating that not using is a handicap is the sheer fact that as a freebie contest, this already is a contest about creatively leveraging a handicap.
  • SkelchSkelch Posts: 275
    Odaa said:

1. If you could change or remove one rule from the contest, what would it be and why?

The no-postwork rule.  Penalizing someone for understanding the basics of Photoshop, Gimp, or Paint.net because they can fix pokethrough seems about as meaningful as penalizing the Bryce users because their software does scenery better.  

2. Do you have any ideas you feel would add to the contest or make it more fun that we should consider?

I enjoyed some of the more offbeat themes like "Shakespeare with a twist".  Or "Design a cover for your favorite book".

3. Do you feel there is anything we could do to make the contest more inviting or easier to participate in?

We went through (IMO) a bad phase a few years back where it seemed like there was a lot of snark and attitude being thrown around by the people enforcing the rules.  (Part of what left a bad taste in my mouth about the no-postwork rule).  So long as we don't go back to that, we should be fine.

4. How do you feel new contests should be chosen? By the CVs? By vote? By the previous winners?

I think it should be up to the CVs overseeing the upcoming contest.  They can certainly solicit ideas from the forum as a whole if they feel it necessary.

5. Is there anything else we should know or consider or that you would like to say that is not specifically covered above?

This contest is always a lot of fun to watch in action, and I found it very helpful as a motivator and guide to freebies when I first joined, so there is a lot of nostalgia for me involved in checking in.

Odaa, I agreed so much with this post I did not want to make one without quoting you ;)  The only thing that I would add is that I am ok with the no post work rule I think the contest will still be ok with it, but I would not mind the contest without it. Maybe A rule all post work must show the non post work images too. As this would show some of us what post work can do for an image. As this goes with Odaa's comment I agree with so much on question 5 "This contest is always a lot of fun to watch in action, and I found it very helpful as a motivator and guide" not just to find freebies but ideas of posing and rendering too. 

• Allowing Postwork leads to the contest becoming a 2D Photoshop/GIMP contest, not a 3D DAZ contest.  Period.  Why fight the lighting when you can manipulate it in Photoshop, or Lightroom?  Nothing 3D is gained by postwork at all.  I say that signatures and frames be allowed but nothing else.

The rules as fine as they are.