GET DAZ STUDIO 4.5! See why you should do it today!

Comments

• FrederickRMFrederickRM Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

Are those of you with crashes using the 32 or 64 bit versions?

I'm using the 64-bit version also and DS4.5 is crashing well before I can even get to a render. It hates GENESIS. I installed hte Gennsis update but it's not showing up properly in my library either.
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited September 2012

I hope to God products do NOT have to be updated again for future releases of Studio. It is actually insane that we have to do it in the first place. I manually sort my content into my own folders, then when I install the updated version, it saves to the default directory and I now have two sets of the same clothing. Its fine for those who use default directories, but sometimes content is placed incorrectly and it becomes messy so I prefer sorting and renaming myself. Oh, I have an I7 with 8GB ram running 64-bit in win7 and have not had a single crash since 4.0 through to 4.5. Chances are there is something funny happening with your rig.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    I manually sort my content into my own folders, then when I install the updated version, it saves to the default directory and I now have two sets of the same clothing.

A lot of the older, more experienced people here — me included — get round this by installing to a dummy folder (usually on the desktop so it's easy to find) and then doing any necessary content juggling and renaming. After this the "fixed" content can be safely moved into our live content folders.
    edited September 2012

Yes BUT some products require it to be installed to the directory where Genesis is IE your main Library and will not extract to a "temp extract" folder like I have on my desktop.. My library with all my sorted content is on a seperate drive, but sometimes the content has to be installed there because it is looking for particular files otherwise it will not install. I've been doing the whole "extract to temp folder before moving to runtime/library" for years.:)

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,090
    edited December 1969

Dear SpottedKitty: Good luck. Don't lose your, er, spots, in Vegas.

• ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

Does anyone know if there will be an update to allows us to use add on content from .daz files to the new .duf files for 4.5?
    You can use it now.

I dont understand why we cant use our bought and paid for content as we have?
    You can.

As of now I cant use any of my clothes for V4,V5 and Genesis only a few because they are all .daz files.

I'm not having any problems using clothes for V4, V5 ,Genesis or any other figure.

Iam trying not to wine here guys, But its mind blowing that Daz is making me buy all new .duf file add ons and content (and theres not but a few!!) in order to enjoy a much better experience in a really good product!
    You don't have to buy anything new, all my old files from 4 are working fine in 4.5

Coldrake

• circletrack15circletrack15 Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

dont understand!!! First,, let me say things ran flawless before upgrade soooo its not my pc!! What ever I bring up clothes wise onto my figure it doesnt load the entire piece of clothing??? and with cursor over tag its .daz format!! not .duf. If I put a pair of jeans on M5, and then put a t-shirt on him, the pants bleed thru the shirt?? or visa versa! Once jeans are loaded,,, wont let me change color!! Also like with hair,,, It will load onto my genesis figure but it will not let me change hair color??? get an error window. I dont get the error window with clothes, but they dont fit right. Went to reset all I have and cant tell if its even updated??? Theres soooo much it will take me a year to redownload this stuff!!! Man this is nuts!!!

Went to unistall everything not .duf and in my unistaller folder half of whats downloaded isnt even there to unistall?? Soooo if I need to lets say.... reset and download V4 body morphs for genesis,, can I install right over it or will I have to spend the next year figuring out how to unistall??? Burns me out some of you have no trouble!! Dont get it!!!

My point is,,, Daz read me says that the .daz format is bye bye and replaced with a better format the .duf.. Sooooo Why is it some can still use .daz files and some of us cant??? I mean it reads them and works but dosent work the way it should. I feel that we should not have to unistall and reset and install what we already have. The unistallers should have read opened and over written when we all upgraded to 4.5 just like most software updates and upgrades out there. Just sayin!!!

Post edited by circletrack15 on
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,090
    edited September 2012

dont understand!!! First,, let me say things ran flawless before upgrade soooo its not my pc!! . . . Burns me out some of you have no trouble!! Dont get it!!!

. . . The unistallers should have read opened and over written when we all upgraded to 4.5 just like most software updates and upgrades out there. Just sayin!!!

Sorry you're having all this trouble. What's interesting to me is that this time it seems that it's the PC Windows people who are having most of the problems. Usually, it's the Mac people, like myself, and the PC people are asking, "What are you complaining about? Everything's fine."

But I know what you mean. It @**^% when it seems to be working for others but won't for you. Don't want to be too mean to the DAZ Bug-Reporter/Fixer guys, but are they telling you things like they have lots of people out there using v. 4.5 just fine and -- MY FAVORITE -- THEY ARE UNABLE TO REPRODUCE YOUR ERRORS?

Well, there's one bug I'm seeing, but it's been going on since the CMS service began, and that's the "Smart Content" pane doesn't work for me. Have I reported it as a Bug? Yes, I have. Have the DAZ Bug-Reporter/Fixer people gotten back to me? Yes, they have, and quickly too. What are they saying? My favorite thing: They have lots of people out there using v 4.5 just fine and THEY ARE UNABLE TO REPRODUCE MY ERRORS.

Hope you all have a fine Labor Day Weekend. Maybe Spotted Kitty had the right idea: go to Vegas and . . . and . . . (no offense intended, Spotted Kitty). And, no offense intended either, DAZ Bug Reporter/Fixer people.

Post edited by inquire on
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Yes BUT some products require it to be installed to the directory where Genesis is

All it's looking for is the existence of "data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Genesis.dsf" relative to the install path you've given it. When an installer insists on finding Genesis before installing, I just manually create that path and file in my target temporary install location. You just need to be careful to remove your fake Genesis.dsf file before you copy things into their real home, so that you don't accidentally clobber the real Genesis.dsf file.

And if everything is supposed to eventually be ZIP downloads, WHY WHY WHY are new releases still being released with the craptastic installer wrapper? I understand starting from the old stuff first to convert to ZIPs because Intel macs can't run those old PPC-based installers any more. But why issue new releases as installers, as it's just creating more work to go back and replace them with ZIPs in the future. And the installers SUCK. You can't see what it's going to try and install where, or know if you need both poser and DS installs for a product to be 'complete' or if the DS install is all-inclusive on its own, etc.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...It's like I have been saying all along, Studio4 and Genesis seem to require more IT maintenance than creative input to use.

edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    Zev0 said:
    Yes BUT some products require it to be installed to the directory where Genesis is

All it's looking for is the existence of "data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Genesis.dsf" relative to the install path you've given it. When an installer insists on finding Genesis before installing, I just manually create that path and file in my target temporary install location. You just need to be careful to remove your fake Genesis.dsf file before you copy things into their real home, so that you don't accidentally clobber the real Genesis.dsf file.

And if everything is supposed to eventually be ZIP downloads, WHY WHY WHY are new releases still being released with the craptastic installer wrapper? I understand starting from the old stuff first to convert to ZIPs because Intel macs can't run those old PPC-based installers any more. But why issue new releases as installers, as it's just creating more work to go back and replace them with ZIPs in the future. And the installers SUCK. You can't see what it's going to try and install where, or know if you need both poser and DS installs for a product to be 'complete' or if the DS install is all-inclusive on its own, etc.

Yes I prefer zips. Also You cannot cancel an installation when the pop up asks to update or uninstall. EG once by mistake I clicked on the wrong plugin install version which was older than the current. If there was a cancel install option then great. But the only choices you have is to overwrite or uninstall. And the only way to close that window is to end the task which kills my machine half the time. Give me a cancel option. I also requested that the installers have a log window underneath so you can see what files are going to what directory. Half the time I install a new product and I must go searching for its sub contents because they under different folder names. If the product came with a readme that had that information then fine, but we don't get product readme's.

• ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...It's like I have been saying all along, Studio4 and Genesis seem to require more IT maintenance than creative input to use.

Not for most people.

Coldrake

edited December 1969

Coldrake said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Not for most people.

Coldrake

Agreed. That comment is based on pure speculation. The little that complain about issues are the minority. The rest are all quiet because they are quite happy. Yes there are a lot minor issues that bug us all, but some find a way to work around them till they are fixed.

edited December 1969

...considering what I have been going through for most of the evening, first trying to get a scene from Studio3 to open in studio4, Then having to deal with textures not loading correctly, I feel my points are valid. I've spent far more time troubleshooting directory issues and dealing with broken texture MATs. than it took me to set up the scene in the first place.

Never had this kind of trouble transitioning between any of the earlier versions of the Studio Application.

edited December 1969

By broken texture maps do you mean Studio cannot find them?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,674
    edited September 2012

Can I suggest that one of you with crash problem,s starts a bug report, if you haven't, and posts the link here so that the others can add their system details (assuming that it sounds like the same kind of crash)? I have a weaker system and am not getting crashes, so far, so it's probably going to turn out to be some subtle difference that's triggering it.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited September 2012

Zev0 said:
    By broken texture maps do you mean Studio cannot find them?

...Studio4 finds them OK, it just doesn't' apply them to the figure properly. I am using the Tindra Thompson MAT, as it is the only one I have with a freckled texture. I tried fixing through the Surfaces tab, I zeroed out the texture and then tried to apply it again, nothing worked. Even the default texture for the base figure (Steph4) wouldn't load right. I have the entire character (Steph4) selected in the scene tab when I try to reset the MAT so it should work just like it does in Studio3A.

I'm not even using Genesis or any of the body shapes for Genesis, just the normal Gen4 figures so I don't understand why the texture keeps getting messed up. The only MATs that I can get to load correctly are the standard V4 ones.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

That is weird because S4 uses v4 UV.

edited December 1969

Which version of DS was the scene file saved from? I doubt it would be old enough to be corrupting its uv maps, but that is what it sounds like.

edited December 1969

....3.1.2.32 (the final update to 3A before 4 was rolled out).

• MarkR151MarkR151 Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

Marcius said:
    In my case, I have 24GB of RAM memory, so hard to say is running out of memory. And the crashes happens not only in rendering, but sometimes during the posing or even when starting the program.

Thanks for the heads up about the DS 4.5 crashes. Another good reason for me not to upgrade until the bugs are worked out.

Btw, I wish I had 24GB of RAM. I'm jealous.

edited December 1969

KK, switch the view to UV Layout and see how the surfaces look there. Compare with the same in DS3.

edited December 1969

...would that be the "Wireframe" or Lit Wireframe" view?

edited September 2012

No, there should be an entry fro UV View at the bottom of the list.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

He's talking about the list where you'll usually see "Perspective", "Camera 1", "Left", "Front", etc.

edited December 1969

...found it. It is in the Camera View pull down.

However, when I click it all I get is a blank white viewport.

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

You must make sure you have a surface selected when using the UV view, otherwise DS doesn't know which UV to show you.

edited September 2012

...so I need to go into the surfaces, not the scene tab then.

-----

OK that really didn't help as I didn't see any difference in the UVs with nd without the Tindra MAT loaded. Just focused on the head and face as the full body UV was impossible to look at.

Maybe a SS of what I am seeing (just of the face & head) may help.

Tindra_mat_error.jpg
    649 x 551 - 263K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

You clearly have the Eyes texture applied to the face, why it happened I cannot say.

edited December 1969

...I'm totally stymied as I selected the full Steph4 figure in both 3A and in 4 when I applied the MAT.

This has to be an issue with how Studio4 handles older custom texture MATs