Inverting mats?

It seems, that when applying Iray metal mats to this Cyberman and arm/leg guards, it renders black. So I'm suspecting that the mats are inverted. Can one flip them, and if yes, how?

Comments

• Hi Doc. First check the Normals are facing the right way(utilities tab), have the properties in the scene tree selected, click the Normals Icon. Above that pane you'll see a Letter A appear, click on that and lots of yellow arrows appear on your prop, pressing the SpaceBar changes the direction of the normals, you want them facing outwards.

On the Materail Tab, you'll see Texture box, if this shows colour, choose the texture option and browse for your texture. Ticking/Unticking the Flip Vertically box will flip the texture. 

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Inverted normals are much more likely than inverted materials...

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited August 2015

I downloaded the Cyberman and had a look for myself. There does not seem to be anything wrong with the model, the only texture used is the bodysuit, here's a quick test render -

Cyborg.png
    500 x 650 - 451K
    Cyborg.png
    500 x 650 - 451K
    Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited August 2015

The only thing I can think off is the body parts are reflecting something black, try rotating the Dome Y setting and see what happens. 

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • Thanks guys! In the end I used a different Cyberman as it was easier. I'll remember the advice for the next time.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917

Hi Doc. First check the Normals are facing the right way(utilities tab), have the properties in the scene tree selected, click the Normals Icon. Above that pane you'll see a Letter A appear, click on that and lots of yellow arrows appear on your prop, pressing the SpaceBar changes the direction of the normals, you want them facing outwards.

On the Materail Tab, you'll see Texture box, if this shows colour, choose the texture option and browse for your texture. Ticking/Unticking the Flip Vertically box will flip the texture. 

Is this in Daz Studio?  If so can you tell me where to find it.

• The Cyborg model is a free figure which is available from ShareCG (see Doc's original post). It was origally made for Poser but will work in DAZ Studio, all I did was convert the materials to Iray and changed the suit to metal,

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917

I was asking about the Utilities tab, not the figure.

• Sorry Wilmap, the Flip Normals is one of Hexagon's tools.