Is it possibl to create clothing for figures in hex without the use of a model?

Just wondering

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Do you mean without having a figure to build it on?

• Pretty much yeah. lol

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Is it ultimately going to be conforming, or will it be pieces that you parent to particular body parts, or dynamic?

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511

you typically design clothes around the model, so not sure how well you could do it without that as a reference.

Technically possible. However, why would you want to do this?

• Is it ultimately going to be conforming, or will it be pieces that you parent to particular body parts, or dynamic?

That actually a good question. I suppose the best answe would be do make it piece by piece to ensure a good fit and parent it to the figure. 

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

Is it ultimately going to be conforming, or will it be pieces that you parent to particular body parts, or dynamic?

That actually a good question. I suppose the best answe would be do make it piece by piece to ensure a good fit and parent it to the figure. 

The best answer then would be to build it with the figure in place -- to ensure a good fit -- and then save/export just the clothing to be parented or conformed to a figure in DAZ Studio (or elsewhere). Having the model in Hex to help build the clothing doesn't make the model part of the clothing.

-- Walt Sterdan

• you typically design clothes around the model, so not sure how well you could do it without that as a reference.

Unfortunately , hexagon isn't working on my computer i can't export figures because there' some kind of glitch where hex doesn't work very well with Windows 8.  I'm trying to start a webcomic and i havent been able to find a suitible coat for my character. 

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511

aah.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006

Well, I have not tried this because yes you do need to have the clothing modeled to exactly where it should be "landing" on the figure in the first place.

But "maybe" if you modeled something in Hexagon, export that out. Then import it into D/S, move it over to be "exactly" on the figure as desired, then delete the figure [not just hide it], export out the .obj file. Delete the .obj file from the scene. Load in the figure once again, import in the clothing item. Then make the clothing using the transfer utility. Save it. Clear the scene. Load a fresh figure, load the new clothing item and see if it works. If it's landing where you want it to ... congrats.

• aah.

Yeah.

•  

Well, I have not tried this because yes you do need to have the clothing modeled to exactly where it should be "landing" on the figure in the first place.

But "maybe" if you modeled something in Hexagon, export that out. Then import it into D/S, move it over to be "exactly" on the figure as desired, then delete the figure [not just hide it], export out the .obj file. Delete the .obj file from the scene. Load in the figure once again, import in the clothing item. Then make the clothing using the transfer utility. Save it. Clear the scene. Load a fresh figure, load the new clothing item and see if it works. If it's landing where you want it to ... congrats.

I suppose it woud be worth a shot. 

• Sky HndxSky Hndx Posts: 142

you typically design clothes around the model, so not sure how well you could do it without that as a reference.

Unfortunately , hexagon isn't working on my computer i can't export figures because there' some kind of glitch where hex doesn't work very well with Windows 8.  I'm trying to start a webcomic and i havent been able to find a suitible coat for my character. 

When you say export do you mean you've been clicking on "Send to Hexagon" or "Export"? (I'm assuming you're using DS)  Usually in DS I'll just click Export and save the figure or portions like the torso or hips and legs and such as an obj. then open it on Hexagon then begin working.   I tried the Send to Hexagon feature long ago and it never worked so I just began exporting as I said above.  

• Update: Finally, after about 4 months , Hexagon is working. I went to the help center and the lady who took my help ticket was nice and extrmely patient. and i'd like to take a second to commend her on the wonderful job she did. 

So finally , i can start making the most use out of hexagon 

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006

That's wonderful, thank you for letting us know.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Glad you got that fixed - perhaps give an explanation of what you did to fix for others that may be having problems?