Planning to use DAZ and bryce as graphics/animation software for XNA games.

tommy_8_balltommy_8_ball Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

Greetings, I am posting this here in the hope that someone with experience of games development (especially with knowledge of XNA) can answer this.

Conventionally, I have been using Blender as my program of choice to create 3d meshes however I find the animation facilities within blender somewhat awkward so I was very excited when I came across the user friendliness of DAZ.

I was successfully able to import a figure (which i'd rendered originally in makehuman) into DAZ however unlike the default genesis figure there is no way of manipulating the limbs as DAZ is unable to identify the limb groups or apply animation files to any figure I've imported from Blender or Hexagon.

If someone can post a general guide, on how to create a custom made animation ready human figure from a 3rd party program into DAZ studio I would be most obliged.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thomas.

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Well, yeah! You have to rig it first. Just like you have to do with any other figure you make in any other program if you want to animate it like that. Guide is available in the store.

• tommy_8_balltommy_8_ball Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I've had problems with rigging in blender, for some reason the mesh refuses to deform correctly which is why i gave up on it. Is it possible to rig in hexagon?

Sorry for the noobish questions, i'm very new to daz.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

no you can not rig in Hex

edited December 1969

other than blender what is the best freeware software or solution for rigging?

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

If you want to use DAZ Studio you have to rig IN DAZ Studio (or Poser).

edited December 1969

Ascania said:
    If you want to use DAZ Studio you have to rig IN DAZ Studio (or Poser).

I think i'm going to give up with 3rd party software as it seems that all of the character customisation i need is offered by genesis and hexagon anyway.

This is probably a dumb question but Is it possible to save animation sequences to be applied to other characters in daz so i am not having re-invent the wheel every time?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,203
    edited December 1969

Remember that to use actual 3D models from DAZ in a game (that you wish to distribute) you need the Game Developer License - assuming it covers the content you wish to use.

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

If you are using Blender to make your Base meshes then you can bring into DS(DAZ STUDIO) and rig the mesh and export out as FBX and animation as BVH...Then apply to your rigged character in XNA as well as Unity and UDK and Hammer...

Bryce is great as a Background sphere or Sky Box map....

I use Milkshape 3D to export to several favorite gaming platforms...