Joequick's Sketchbook

JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,697
edited June 2012 in The Commons

A thread to show off stuff that I'm working on which may or may not ever amount to anything. I'm not sure exactly where I left off, so I'll start with an early stab at Abominable Textures.

Post edited by JoeQuick on

Comments

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,697
    edited December 1969

I've also been working on a Genesis Duckie since Genesis dropped last summer, I'm getting close to completion. I just need to do tweak morphs now that make the morph look good with the other standard morphs like aiko/hiro, hitomi/takashi, m4/v4 m5/v5... and maybe Girl 4 too.

I also did a Gorilla compatibility morph. I need to make a render of that combo, it is a thing of beauty.

The images below are mainly just variations on the same render, playing with lighting as well as the Visual Style Shaders.

officerduckiescenevs.jpg
    600 x 800 - 269K
    OfficerDuckieFashionWEB.jpg
    500 x 800 - 401K
    officerduckie_web.jpg
    500 x 800 - 255K
    duckiespec2.jpg
    500 x 650 - 127K
  • Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Both are VERY cool looking! :)

• fred mertzfred mertz Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

I sincerely hope you do something with that stunning multi-button uniform tunic you were working on before this forum got interrupted. A period hero costume is just the beginning of the possibilities I could see with that wonderful item.

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

Did you get my last PM at render

edited December 1969

Yes, the mesh is all done, and it'll be a breeze to rig. I'm just not sure how I want to release it. I feel like it mandates actual texture maps instead of materials/shaders, so I don't think it would really fit with the Golden Age packages. It would fit thematically, but the final look of the product would be different. So I will probably wind up releasing it somewhere down the line on its own with full texture maps, a dickie, pants, belt and boots.

edited December 1969

Joequick said:

Yes, the mesh is all done, and it'll be a breeze to rig. I'm just not sure how I want to release it. I feel like it mandates actual texture maps instead of materials/shaders, so I don't think it would really fit with the Golden Age packages. It would fit thematically, but the final look of the product would be different. So I will probably wind up releasing it somewhere down the line on its own with full texture maps, a dickie, pants, belt and boots.

Were you able to do the turtle neck part?

Yeah the jacket is truly awesome and would be better with its own texture set. with some matching pants and maybe boots and gloves would be a great set. I see this being like the source material. A Noir Hero Set. You could probably do a Noir style mask like your golden age mask.

edited December 1969

Joequick said:

Were you able to do the turtle neck part?

Yeah the jacket is truly awesome and would be better with its own texture set. with some matching pants and maybe boots and gloves would be a great set. I see this being like the source material. A Noir Hero Set. You could probably do a Noir style mask like your golden age mask.

I've got a turtleneck mesh laying around that I'll lop the body off of when the time comes. That's what I was referring to as a "dickie".

edited May 2012

The VS Shaders have inspired me to finish up my last bundle of Alien Force characters. Here are a few of the ten. I'll likely redo the Red and Green guys. I was feeling inspired last night and quickly threw together a new outfit, which I've also attached images of. The outfit does have boots. They just weren't rigged at the time of those renders.

pope.jpg
    615 x 800 - 124K
    clevvrunner.png
    600 x 600 - 182K
    clevv.png
    500 x 800 - 202K
    guys.jpg
    615 x 800 - 204K
    fivers.png
    615 x 800 - 455K
    edited December 1969

VS Render with boots

clevv.png
    615 x 800 - 188K
    edited May 2012

The new Alien Force Morphs look insane. I really like this batch. The shaders look fantastic on them.

The boots look great!

Post edited by JohnDelaquiox on
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

Awesome work on the Suit Joe

Thank you!

Gives me an idea

Do you have any bat like aliens

edited December 1969

Thank you!

Gives me an idea

No bats really, I got these three which I stuck in a "faces of fantasy" folder which give off a kind of vampire vibe, but no bats.

Horde.jpg
    600 x 450 - 40K
    vamp2.jpg
    600 x 450 - 39K
    vamp1.jpg
    600 x 450 - 41K
    edited December 1969

Ahh those look cool.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

Very cool looking!

• blutobluto Posts: 823
    edited December 1969

Joequick said:

Thank you!

Gives me an idea

No bats really, I got these three which I stuck in a "faces of fantasy" folder which give off a kind of vampire vibe, but no bats.

what package is thes a part of ?

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

Joequick said:
    VS Render with boots

Wow, it's nice to see how you've really adopted those VS shaders... Nice work!

Have you considered doing Genesis versions of the Alien Force morphs? I'd imagine they'd do well with the new SuperSuit.

edited December 1969

bluto said:
    Joequick said:

Thank you!

Gives me an idea

what package is thes a part of ?

If I ever get them out, I was thinking of calling them "faces of fantasy". I've got quite the back log.

You know, as an experiment I might try to rush them out after the alien force by just doing promo renders that show the morphs on untextured white m4s. See if that kind of straight forward approach causes a drop in sales volume or not.

edited May 2012

Here are some eyebrows. They're textureless, so read the description for some pointers on how to set up your shaders.

They're 10,000 poly, so I wouldn't fill a room with them. At their base resolution they're composed of three sided strands of polys three polygons in length.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/62327/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Free-Genesis-Fibermesh-Eyebrows

zgenibrows.jpg
    600 x 450 - 81K
    browguy.jpg
    500 x 650 - 99K
    browgirl2.jpg
    500 x 650 - 114K
    browgirl.jpg
    500 x 650 - 132K
    edited December 1969

http://www.sharecg.com/v/62339/view/11/Poser/Three-Sci-Fi-Helmets

Here are three sci-fi helmets with materials optimized for poser use. They were modeled around the heads of some of my upcomming Alien Force characters, but with a little scaling, you should be able to get the helmets to fit more standard noggins. These were made over a year and a half ago, I believe, before I'd really figured out retopology. Instead I sculpted these crazy high poly in zBrush and then decimated them. The resulting meshes are all tris, and may render a bit funny in Studio. Studio users will also need to readjust the way the crease angle is displayed to get a hard edged look.

Noble.jpg
    500 x 500 - 92K
    TopHelm.jpg
    500 x 500 - 104K
    Red.jpg
    500 x 500 - 107K
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

That was based on armor a fella posted to deviantart. I just adjusted the shape and rigged it for m4. At the time I put it together, I thought the armor was made by the poster. Looking back now, I realize it was probably a game model. The mesh has murky origins.

edited December 1969

That's right I remember now. I don't think the its still up. The original one that is

• Spinach ChinSpinach Chin Posts: 89
    edited December 1969

Can you update us on your second Golden Age set? Will it be ready soon?

edited June 2012

Can you update us on your second Golden Age set? Will it be ready soon?

I've put it aside while the SuperSuit goes through its big introductory push. I figured the superhero side of the market was pretty niche, and didn't want to test out how many competing superhero products could thrive in a particular moment. That's part of why I've been trying to wrap up some of my other long floundering products. I've got a dry-erase board of things that are almost done, things that just need promo renders or to be packaged. I'm going to try to wrap up as many of those as possible then get back to the Golden Age set at the beginning of July (and have it out by the end of the month).

board.jpg
    600 x 450 - 200K
    edited December 1969

Epic Heroes & Villains

popestudio.jpg
    500 x 650 - 174K
    headmorphs.jpg
    640 x 1600 - 257K
    af3.jpg
    500 x 800 - 221K
    af2.jpg
    500 x 800 - 361K
    af1bweb.jpg
    500 x 800 - 252K
  • blutobluto Posts: 823
    edited December 1969

ohh , i like these joe

edited December 1969

As an experiment, I put together much simpler promo materials for my "faces of fantasy". I also reduced the price on them by about 25% since I didn't spend two weeks working on promos. We'll see how they do once they eventually trickle through testing and hit the marketplace.

800.jpg
    800 x 329 - 114K
  • Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

Joequick -
    I was playing with the Golden Age set yesterday and I was playing with the Cape and Cowl (or is it Cowl and Cape?) clothing item. I like using it but was surprised to find that if I wanted to play with just the Cowl, I had to hide the Chest on the figure; this hides a lot of the non-Cape Cowl. I've figured out a workaround for now, but I was wondering if, for Golden Age 2, you could make a separate Cowl without the Cape.

Thanks!

edited December 1969

SmallFry said:
    Joequick -
    I was playing with the Golden Age set yesterday and I was playing with the Cape and Cowl (or is it Cowl and Cape?) clothing item. I like using it but was surprised to find that if I wanted to play with just the Cowl, I had to hide the Chest on the figure; this hides a lot of the non-Cape Cowl. I've figured out a workaround for now, but I was wondering if, for Golden Age 2, you could make a separate Cowl without the Cape.

Thanks!

The point was to make them unified. I do have a separate cape and cowl in the next set, but the cowl is no where near as loaded with morphs, and is of a different design. It's mainly meant to do Golden age Catman and all the guys with fins on their heads (or no adornment at all). Target and the Targeteers, Pyroman, etc.

What motivated me to combine them was the fact that there are enumerous capes out there for m4, and several cowls. None were combined like those of some of our favorite heroes, which is why I set out to make the cape and cowl in my set one piece. Such an item was missing from the market.