What Are These Models I Found In Hex?

I was searching through the various files on my computer to make sure they were still relevant.  In the Hex folders on the CDrive I came across a folder with a bunch of models in it of animals, people, objects of various kinds.  Have no idea why these are there or if I am allowed to use them as a base to create my own items.  I found this folder in Local Disk(C:)/ProgramFiles(86)/DAZ3D/Hexagon2/content/Models.  Just need to know if I have the okay to use them as a base for creating my own items or not.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

best ask DAZ themselves I reckon, I would say not but many modeling apps do include base figures you can use as a starting point, only DAZ can tell you what is permited or not with modification, we can only speculate.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147

I was searching through the various files on my computer to make sure they were still relevant.  In the Hex folders on the CDrive I came across a folder with a bunch of models in it of animals, people, objects of various kinds.  Have no idea why these are there or if I am allowed to use them as a base to create my own items.  I found this folder in Local Disk(C:)/ProgramFiles(86)/DAZ3D/Hexagon2/content/Models.  Just need to know if I have the okay to use them as a base for creating my own items or not.

of course you can - thats what there for .

• LegalizeAdulthoodLegalizeAdulthood Posts: 115
    edited July 2015

It is certainly permissible for you to examine those models and use them as learning experiences or inspiration for your own models.

When you install Hexagon it shows an end-user license agreement that says:

D. THE USER MAY NOT

1. use the Product or make copies of it except as permitted in this License.
    2. translate, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Product except to the extent the foregoing restriction is expressly prohibited by applicable law.
    3. rent, lease, assign, or transfer the Product.
    4. modify the Product or merge all or any part of the Product with another program.
    5. separate the component parts of the Product for use on more than one computer.
    6. reproduce, publish, distribute, share, or otherwise make available any portion of the Product on the world wide web (internet).

Where point 6. seems to make it pretty clear that you shouldn't be incorporating these models into your own, but only as a reference or inspiration for your own models.

The DAZ store content EULA makes it clear that you can do whatever you like with the content as long as you're not redistributing it.  So rendering, animation, even modifying the geometry is all fine as long as it's for your own personal use and you don't redistribute the modified geometry as part of a game or as a downloadable model.  So if your intention is just to modify the model for your own uses and not for the purposes of redistribution, then yes, you can do what you like with the model.  (Again point 6 above is talking about distribution or publishing of the modified content.)

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and do not speak for DAZ, this is simply just how I read the EULA.  If you have doubts about how your intended use fits in with the eula you should contact customer support.  It's free to do that!

Post edited by LegalizeAdulthood on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I agree.  I use Bryce, which also contains quite a lot of content, and have always understood that this content is there for your own use. It, or any modifications & derivative items of it should not be redisrtibuted, as stated in the DAZ 3D EULA.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,209

Ok thanks alot for the answers, least now I know for sure.

• Sky HndxSky Hndx Posts: 142
    Chohole said:

I agree.  I use Bryce, which also contains quite a lot of content, and have always understood that this content is there for your own use. It, or any modifications & derivative items of it should not be redisrtibuted, as stated in the DAZ 3D EULA.

Sorry if this is off topic, but I think I sat and stared for a little over 20 mins waiting to see your avatars club (or is that a staff?) to move and it never did.  sad

LOL    It does move, honestly.   

• Sky HndxSky Hndx Posts: 142

Oops, my bad.  I forgot I have ToggleGIF installed.  It freezes all gifs on webpages.  So as usuall it come down to user error. blush

But about the models I'll often open them up to study and wonder "how did they do that?".

• zalez3dzalez3d Posts: 0

If you think of it that way, a primative cube can be considered "content" and they would have the same legal right to make you pay them, or take it down all together. Say you started a model with a cube and modified it, it was their cube, so: where is the clean cut answer to this. Can I sell models that I made in Hexagon without any legal attachment to Daz ? (not using the sample models)

edited May 2019
    zalez3d said:

If you think of it that way, a primative cube can be considered "content" and they would have the same legal right to make you pay them, or take it down all together. Say you started a model with a cube and modified it, it was their cube, so: where is the clean cut answer to this. Can I sell models that I made in Hexagon without any legal attachment to Daz ? (not using the sample models)

You would need to contact Daz directly by sending a Help Ticket and using Sales Dept as the relevant one for the query to get the definitive answer.

However we tend to feel that Primitives are safe to use in constructing new models, but not the included example models, but do ask Daz to be certain.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    zalez3d said:

Yes. If you saved a primitive object and then tried to sell it, I guess you'd be in trouble. But who doesn't edit or mashup their primitives into other things using Hexagon?