Add points to a edge

ApocApoc Posts: 407
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Simple question I hope, is there anyway to add more points directly onto a edge, for example

instead of having to use vertix modeling tab and tesselate tool, is there a alternative that lets you cut edges into multiple points?

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Tow methods, depending on what you want to achieve

1. Select edge, do a ring selection and connect

2. Go to lines>insert points - this will make the dreaded N-gon unless you connect the point to another.

• ApocApoc Posts: 407
    edited May 2012

ok I tried both methods

The first was a line method
    I oringally thought this is what I was looking for but for some reason the function only works with poly-lines, not edges that I selected on my object, or maybe Im doing it wrong?

second method was selecting the edge, do a ring selction and then connect
    but instead it just ended up creating more edges

im not sure if im doing this right lol, im still learning this XD would be ok if i asked for more details QQ im a newb

Post edited by Apoc on
  • edited May 2012

Apoc23 said:
    The first was a line method - I oringally thought this is what I was looking for but for some reason the function only works with poly-lines, not edges that I selected on my object

That's correct. You've just learned that "edges" are NOT "lines". They only LOOK like lines. :)

second method was selecting the edge, do a ring selction and then connect but instead it just ended up creating more edges

Also correct. "Edges" connect "vertices" (AKA "points"), and "facets" (AKA "faces") are areas outlined by edges.

Imagine a square facet (which is commonly called a "quad").
    A quad is composed of 4 vertices connected by edges, and its face is the area inside the edges.
    If you add a vertex in the middle of the upper edge, you no longer have a quad, you now have a 5-sided polygon EVEN IF IT STILL LOOKS LIKE A SQUARE TO YOU.

Every time you add a vertex to an edge, you are splitting the edge into 2 pieces - IOW, every time you add a vertex to a polygon, you are also adding an edge to it.

Can you describe to us what it is that you're trying to accomplish by adding a "point" to an edge without wanting to create a new edge? From there we could steer you in the right direction.

Post edited by emfederin_9bc0c524c8 on
    edited May 2012

Well in simple... im just being blantly lazy :lol:
    (lmao)
    Im well aware that in order to add a point I would need to add a edge as well. Via methods like tesslattion etc etc.

The way I do it currently is to select my object, select a edge, tesselate it ( connecting it to a diff edge ) then going back and disolving the edge. This method already proves useful and creates a point on the object givin without to much hassle. But just out of curosity, ( not discovering all of hexagons secrets ) I was wondering if there was already a built in function to create points on a edge automatically wihtout going trhough all that hassle
    If there is not, its not that big of a deal I found multiple ways around making additional points, I was just wondering i If was doing it right :P and if there was a more simplier method then to what I was already doing ;)
    -
    -
    -
    Truth of the matter is.. I thought hexagon would be versitle enough that it might of had a simpler tool for doing this. but to be honest , either im not doing this right :D or I think its something they forgot to include, cause its the simple things like this that makes a program all worth it :P

Post edited by Apoc on
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Hexagon is easy enough. But without you coming forth and spilling what you're trying to accomplish nobody will ever tell you of an easier method to accomplish that.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 514
    edited December 1969

Apoc23 said:
    Im well aware that in order to add a point I would need to add a edge as well.

No, you don't. Use the tessellate tool and just click on the edge to create the point, then press "enter".
    It is limited, as it will only allow one point per edge, so you would need to add a point, enter, add another point etc. Long winded yes, but so is Hexagon on various editing, due to it never being updated with needed new tools/option.

Do not know why you are being asked why you want to create points on edges, that is irrelevant, they should just answer the question.

• edited December 1969

Apoc23 said:
    Im well aware that in order to add a point I would need to add a edge as well.
    No, you don't. Use the tessellate tool and just click on the edge to create the point, then press "enter".

Which, depending on the tesselation type, either creates a new vertex on the edge (which splits the edge into 2 parts, so you've added an edge) or it splits the entire quad into 2 polygons which means you've added TWO points and THREE edges.

Do not know why you are being asked why you want to create points on edges, that is irrelevant, they should just answer the question

Hey, just a shot in the dark here, but maybe we ask questions in order to understand what he's doing so that we can help him do it.

If we're doing such a horrible job of it, perhaps you should take over and "just answer the question".

edited December 1969

Hey, just a shot in the dark here, but maybe we ask questions in order to understand what he's doing so that we can help him do it.

He is trying to add a vertex/point to an edge, it even states that in the title of the thread. Is that so difficult to understand!
    Whatever the purpose is for, is irrelevant.

• edited December 1969

Apoc23 said:
    The way I do it currently is to select my object, select a edge, tesselate it ( connecting it to a diff edge ) then going back and disolving the edge

I really apologize, but I'm still at a loss to follow you.

What do you mean by "dissolving the edge" and how are you doing it?
  • edited May 2012

He is trying to add a vertex/point to an edge, it even states that in the title of the thread. Is that so difficult to understand!
    Whatever the purpose is for, is irrelevant.

If you ADD A VERTEX TO THE EDGE OF ANY POLYGON, YOU ADD AN EDGE.

Show me where I'm wrong.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

BTW, I still don't see you answering his question; only complaining about our responses.

Post edited by emfederin_9bc0c524c8 on
  • HopperHopper Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Try this create a cube then go to the lines tab select insert points tool. click on one of the cubes edge and release. If you want to add a point in the middle hold down the shift key. Until this question came up I didn't know you could use this tool this way.

edited December 1969

Hopper said:
    Try this create a cube then go to the lines tab select insert points tool. click on one of the cubes edge and release.

By default, the "insert point" (when a solid/surface is selected) reverts to "Continuous tessellation by segment".(check the properties panel after selecting the tool with cube selected). You still need to press "enter" or click " validate" to exit the tool before more points(vertex) can be added to the same edge.

edited May 2012

~_~ think I just started a war... lol guys pls there is no reason to fight over me :red:

1st off
    * I appologize for the lack of details in the question, but just to clear things up. I was already well aware of how to add lines to a edge
    Wiether my method was easy or not. To make this clear , this should of been a YES OR NO question . . . :blank:, if there was I was a easier way, I was happy to learn... if there wasnt I could deal without it as it wasnt really important to me and I had my own comfortable way of doing it.

2nd
    * I thank you all for doing a great job of helping me out :D and wiether or not it was irrelevant of what I needed it for, questions are always needed for futher knowledge :) so I didnt mind

3rd
    * ( no offence to anyone that helped ) but I think hop gave me the most simpliest answer :D, and steve cleard it up for me. I didnt know I could use the line tool like that either, all this time I never thought of pressing enter :-P

Hopper said:
    Try this create a cube then go to the lines tab select insert points tool. click on one of the cubes edge and release.

By default, the "insert point" (when a solid/surface is selected) reverts to "Continuous tessellation by segment".(check the properties panel after selecting the tool with cube selected). You still need to press "enter" or click " validate" to exit the tool before more points(vertex) can be added to the same edge.
    eureka ! it worked :P thanks alot everone,

I thank you all for your quick swift feedback, and sorry if I sounded a bit harsh when writting this :red: the comments were actually quite entertainig to read :coolsmile:

Post edited by Apoc on
  • RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hopper is correct though Steve, insofar as he clearly stated that 'adding a point tool' is within the line tab tool set. I don't think he was suggesting that it would work as you correctly identified by selecting faces.

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, in that you can add as many verts to a line as you wish "As long as they are balanced by an equivalent number of verts on another edge/tessellation, thus negating a has been commented on, the danger of introducing ngons.

edited December 1969

I guess the long mystery of hexagon has been solved. Thanks to the meddling kids and there dog named scooby dooby doo. Another case has been solved...

this topic can be closed now . I hope it helps everone else who might of been wondering the same thing

edited December 1969

@ Apoc23.

I think I understand what you are looking for. Please all the God's Daz sorts out the forum so that we can illustrate our explanations with screen shots once again.

If I understand correctly, you gave two examples the first a circle to which unless I miss read you seemed to imply that you have been attempting to add additional vert's one by one to improve it's visual appearance. If I'm correct; wrong, wrong, wrong.

Select the type of line circle to suite your needs and release your mouse button, do NOT double click your mouse button, nor should you validate or press the enter key. Instead look in the right hand properties window for the circle and near the foot of the top panel you will find a small box labelled number of points. Using either the up or down arrows, or, by rotating your mouse wheel, or, by typing into the rectangular box the number of points/vert's you desire will automatically distribute around the circumference of the circle the correct number of vert's with equal spacing between them.

Regarding the blocky car as you put it, for your second example. Firstly make a copy of the file, renumber it so that you preserve the original file. Then working on the duplicate file select the object/form listed in the properties panel on the right second panel down where it lists the object component tree. With this highlighted, select level 1 smoothing from the horizontal listing near the top of the properties panel. Now return back down to the second from the top tree panel mentioned previously and click on the small lighting bolt symbol, the result will be a reduction in what you describe as a blocky car. Is this the right way to make a smoother model ? Is WHOLE NEW CAN OF WORMS,

edited May 2012

Thanks for the added advice red ;) but hop and steve already provided answers to this problem. im not looking to create either a circle or anything like that lol, as far as the car goes, there are certain points in modeling where smoothing out a entire object just wont work, due to the fact that it needs to look blocky on certain areas in order to give its full effect/feel/looks.

I rather have a high polygon model then a low polygon model with high level smoothing ;) hope that makes sense, but ty for the feedback non the less ^^

Post edited by Apoc on
    edited May 2012

Oh right then , regarding the car you retain as you call it the blocky appearance by adding additional tessellations to resist smoothing by supporting those areas that you require them to have a sharpish edge or by applying a bevel to the edge. How sharp or how gentle the edge or bevel depends on how close to the original tessellation you choose to place the support and in the case of the double extrude tool, the number of additional tessellations you add. :)

I'd rather have a high polygon model then a low polygon model with high level smoothing

To clarify, by selecting level 1 smoothing and then collapsing the dynamic geometry by clicking the lightening bolt does increase the poly count uni-formally. If your model's initial total poly count is say 1500; by using level 1 smoothing, collapsing the DG will increase the poly count to 3000+/-. Select level 2 smoothing on the duplicate mesh and collapse the DG and the poly count will shoot up much higher.

Post edited by RedSquare on
  • edited December 1969

RedSquare said:
    Please all the God's Daz sorts out the forum so that we can illustrate our explanations with screen shots once again

Heheh....you can!!! :)

I couldn't figure it out either until yesterday. The old format was pretty straightforward, but this new site makes it rather obscure. It "hides it in plain sight", so to speak... :)

When you're writing your post, look down at the bottom where the 2 buttons say "preview post" and "submit post". Just above those 2 buttons is another button with a greyed out window that says "Browse".

Click it, and you can take it from there! :cheese:
    edited May 2012

@ afreaginname

Ah! Many thanks all is now light. :coolcheese:

Post edited by RedSquare on
    edited December 1969

RedSquare said:

To clarify, by selecting level 1 smoothing and then collapsing the dynamic geometry by clicking the lightening bolt does increase the poly count uni-formally. If your model's initial total poly count is say 1500; by using level 1 smoothing, collapsing the DG will increase the poly count to 3000+/-. Select level 2 smoothing on the duplicate mesh and collapse the DG and the poly count will shoot up much higher.

ah didnt know that ;) thats useful to know, thank you

edited December 1969

You're welcome, just remember that unless you do this on a renamed duplicate file, once you've saved the file and/or closed down Hex' you can't undo the action, should you wish to continue modelling with a low poly mesh subsequently. ;-)

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

Thanks Roygee, this helped!