Installed Hexagon and SN prompt will not let me enter it in text box and I have to run Task Mnger to

rnollmanrnollman Posts: 310
edited July 2015 in Hexagon Discussion

Installed Hexagon and serial number prompt will not let me enter number in text box and I have to run Task Manager to close out the process. Support has not been helpful and it is now the second week of not being able to run the program. Support rep said to run in compatibiliy mode in Windows 7, but my desktop where I have Hexagon installed (and other DAZ software) is already running Windows 7.

This is really frustrating. I have never had a problem like this with any software. I read a post on Hexagon that said that you should make sure to save your work because the program crashes all the time. I am guessing the Hexagon developers are having problems with stability and robustness.

Have people been having good experiences with Hexagon?
Mod edit to shorten thread title

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited July 2015

rnollman said:
    Installed Hexagon and serial number prompt will not let me enter number in text box and I have to run Task Manager to close out the process. Support has not been helpful and it is now the second week of not being able to run the program. Support rep said to run in compatibiliy mode in Windows 7, but my desktop where I have Hexagon installed (and other DAZ software) is already running Windows 7.

This is really frustrating. I have never had a problem like this with any software. I read a post on Hexagon that said that you should make sure to save your work because the program crashes all the time. I am guessing the Hexagon developers are having problems with stability and robustness.

Have people been having good experiences with Hexagon?

1. Your title is too long and breaking the page format.

Okay ... by installing to your 'desktop', i hope you mean 'desktop computer' because programs are not to be installed 'to' the actual desktop, there is indeed somekind of a 'read-only' protection on certain items on the desktop.

You have it installed either to the proper program folders or outside of them [i.e. on the C drive for example] and click on that typing box in order to type into it. Some do have to do all this as Admin on W7 for this program, some don't.

If you right-click on the desktop shortcut for Hexagon and check the properties tab of Hexagon, you can verify that way that it is running in W7 mode, there's actually quite a selection to choose from.

Over all, yes I and many others have had good experiences ... and a lot of learning experiences with Hexagon ;-)

Post edited by patience55 on
  • rnollmanrnollman Posts: 310
    edited December 1969

I am running in Windows 7 and did try run in Windows 7 compatibility mode (which seems pointless to me) .

I installed the product successfully because the Hexagon program window appears. But then a small screen comes up that asks for a serial number. I cannot click inside to enter the number and my screen begins to act funny as if the screen is frozen. However, using Task Manager, I can stop the process.

That is as far as I have gotten. I am glad people are having good experiences with Hexagon. I would very much like to be one of them, but at this point, DAZ support has not been much help. And they usually are very helpful.

I will try to run it on my Window 8 machine (my laptop) and see if I have the same experience.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Try uninstalling the program and then reinstalling it, using right click / run as administrator.

edited December 1969

I was able to successfully run Hexagon on my PC running Windows 8.

• LegalizeAdulthoodLegalizeAdulthood Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Try uninstalling the program and then reinstalling it, using right click / run as administrator.

I would not recommend this. People seem to constantly want to get out their administrator hammer and whack everything with it, but there is no need to run the install as administrator and as I noted in another thread, this can actually make things worse.

edited July 2015

When I install Hexagon on a fresh machine, I get this dialog for the serial number. Does yours look like this? When you click in the text edit box, do you get an edit cursor? This is a topmost modal dialog, so Hexagon should be the topmost application on your desktop and this dialog should be on top of the Hexagon main display. If you close this dialog by clicking the X button in the upper right, Hexagon should inform you that without a license you will enter evaluation mode and will not be able to save.

PS: I only use Windows 7 and have had no problems at all installing, entering my serial number, using the bridge, etc.

hexagon-license.png
    1792 x 1200 - 139K
    hexagon-license.png
    1792 x 1200 - 139K
    Post edited by LegalizeAdulthood on
    edited December 1969

On my Windows 7 machine, what you show is what I get. But the screen freezes up and I cannot enter text in the Serial number text box, close the Serial number dialog box, or access the Hexagon program underneath. My screen goes black and I get some system error about my display having some problem. Then the system recovers and I still cannot enter the serial number. So I use Task Manager to quit the Hexagon process.

It is working fine on my Windows 8 machine (laptop) but I would like to use my desktop machine to run Hexagon.

edited December 1969

rnollman said:
    On my Windows 7 machine, what you show is what I get. But the screen freezes up and I cannot enter text in the Serial number text box, close the Serial number dialog box, or access the Hexagon program underneath. My screen goes black and I get some system error about my display having some problem. Then the system recovers and I still cannot enter the serial number. So I use Task Manager to quit the Hexagon process.

This sounds like a display driver problem. Your display driver crashed and froze the screen. Are you using the latest display drivers for your graphics card?