Best computer component for DAZ

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

When I get my next computer is a few weeks, what is better when I render static images (Ray traced, full software lights and shadows)

CPU (multi cores)
or
RAM (DDR 3)

If I had a Quad Core or Octo Core (8), would DAZ allocate the CPU time along all those cores ?

Comments

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately the answer to your question is both! The faster the CPU the better, but you also need sufficient RAM that the CPU isn't spending large amounts of time waiting for textures to be loaded off disk. You probably need to narrow the choices down to a more specific set of tradeoffs, but I'd say the minimum amount of RAM you would want is 6GB, with amount more important than absolute speed.

And yes, DAZ will use every core available, to the point you may be cursing it as a CPU-hog if you're trying to do something else with a render running in the background (it is possible to tell it not to use one or more cores but I've not actually gotten around to setting that up).

• edited December 1969

I usually have big and fancy renders working while I am sleeping or before heading to work.

One of the systems I am hoping for is the following,

8 or 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
    3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Cache, w/ Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost 2.0)
    Windows 7 64bit

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Sounds good to me, I'm running an earlier generation i7 with 6GB, so that should comfortably surpass my performance.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

If you're asking for best, I'd say 8 core workstation with Xeon and at least 16 Gb ram but that could be a bit expensive for a hobby

The i7 3770 is very good. You may consider directly going to 16 Gb Ram since memory is not very expensive

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited December 1969

GTX690 ;)

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851
    edited December 1969

Just make sure you get a dedicated graphics card especially if your looking at laptops, with an integrated chipset you might not be able to run DS4 let alone render.

• edited December 1969

It will be a desktop, with dedicated GPU. Also, I have been told, graphics card only handles preview in DAZ 3d, the rest is CPU.

I do not know about the other DAZ family ones, I got them downloaded when it become free, not installed yet tho.