Hexagon Poll for Iray and Octane addon.

TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732
edited June 2015 in Hexagon Discussion

Curious how many are interested in an IRay or Octane addon for Hexagon.

Poll removed as per Forum TOS

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 1969

I voted yes, but I'm not really sure. I use DAZ Studio anyway, and I can render Iray or LuxRender via Reality.

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732
    edited December 1969

With these types of addon, you can get relatively Live feedback of your model as you create it. The window floats and allow you to make changes in hexagon that are reflected in the render viewport.
    Since Hexagon does not have a proper render engine, this would add a new layer to the product and possibly renewed interest to one of the better modeling software available.

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 1969

I'm all for getting more people using Hexagon, its my favorite program.

How would you set the material (I like your glass), does it get the information from Hexagon or elsewhere ?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

lol if you could make a Bryce!!!! octane plugin I might even reinstall Bryce and buy the plugin

edited December 1969

Funny you should say that about Bryce cause it's in the works also.
    As for materials they are assigned in Hexagon and converted to Octane.
    Most are not aware of Hexagons ability to paint textures like 3DPaint
    but some of those can be converted too.
    Hexagon can paint with displacement maps too, similar to Zbrush

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Well let's just say it's not one of the better working options for many, streaks all over the place is not my idea of how I want the models painted.

• LegalizeAdulthoodLegalizeAdulthood Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

Can't you already do this by simply setting your DAZ Studio viewport to IRay and sending your work-in-progress over the bridge?

edited December 1969

Correct, and coupled with MEC4D material library you have the IRay addon. If you have the Octane plugin installed you can do a similar process and float the render window and send progression for rendering.

The beauty of this standalone application is you can use it with Hexagon, Bryce and even Silo (although a plugin for that is in the works too). This is the reason i'm asking if people are interested in having such a tool available.

edited December 1969

Honestly, I think having PBR windows up while you're modeling is a distraction. This is putting the wrong end of the workflow first, IMO.

edited December 1969

You do realize the use of the addon is optional. Some users texture their models as they are being built while others would rather do the process after or at a later stage in development. If you are doing organic modeling there is a different approach than box or archviz.

As we pointed out using the available resources is the best way to determine if this will be useful, I know the image shows Rule of 3rds applied. That option is more for model layout during presentation preparation. Daz studio now has a similar built in option.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

I'm curious how it is possible to make any type of plugin/addon for Hex, as there is no SDK available? Folk have been asking for one to be released for years, so that users could could do some development on it, as Daz is obviously not interested.

Hex actually does have a render capability - see the camera icon in the lower right of the UI. Pretty basic, but reasonable for getting an idea of what your model would look like. Of course, a proper render would depend on lighting and the interaction of light with materials, so this would have to be taken into consideration, as Hex does not have much of a lighting capability.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    I'm curious how it is possible to make any type of plugin/addon for Hex, as there is no SDK available? Folk have been asking for one to be released for years, so that users could could do some development on it, as Daz is obviously not interested.

Hex actually does have a render capability - see the camera icon in the lower right of the UI. Pretty basic, but reasonable for getting an idea of what your model would look like. Of course, a proper render would depend on lighting and the interaction of light with materials, so this would have to be taken into consideration, as Hex does not have much of a lighting capability.

I am equally curious about plug ins for Bryce, as Bryce was first released Commercially 21 years ago and has never had any plug-ins. Does make one question the ease of suddenly deciding to create one.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

Asuming they are using the bridge somehow buy sending to Octane or 3D viewport which may be accessable through some sort of 3D capture, there are directX and other ways of doing this, I have no geek knowledge but know of apps myself that do this with games and draw calls.

edited July 2015

Asuming they are using the bridge somehow buy sending to Octane or 3D viewport which may be accessable through some sort of 3D capture, there are directX and other ways of doing this, I have no geek knowledge but know of apps myself that do this with games and draw calls.

Ok Wendy you are officially off the beta team, just kidding!
    She is right there is no official SDK for Bryce or Hexagon but proven technology has existed to achieve the end result you desire.
    As she stated there are games without SDK but people develop for them, why would one not think to apply a similar principle to apps.
    Post edited by Tugpsx on
    edited December 1969

Just to be clear - is the original question asking whether there would be any interest in such an addon - purely wishful thinking - or inferring that there are specific plans in place and whether we would be interested?

edited December 1969

The addon development has been on going for some time. I can't discuss much of the project at this time.
    I was curious if there is still an interest in the project or should I put my resources elsewhere.

The posted image is from a early Alpha about 7 months ago, it's totally a bit more advanced and will look into expanding soon.

edited December 1969

There's no SDK for Bryce or Hexagon, so I don't know how you can be doing any development on those applications.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Tugpsx said:
    The addon development has been on going for some time. I can't discuss much of the project at this time.
    I was curious if there is still an interest in the project or should I put my resources elsewhere.

The posted image is from a early Alpha about 7 months ago, it's totally a bit more advanced and will look into expanding soon.

A question

Assuming that what you are suggesting is even feasible, will this be a free thing or a Commercial project?

A 2nd question Have you spoken to anyone at DAZ 3D about this?

edited December 1969

Daz is quite aware of the development request for a few years now. As I have said there is no Officially Completed SDK so any work would require you to do your own development.
    If I recall I did replace the original interface that had a Hexagon theme using familiar icons, but was told that marketing was not happy about it, so to consider other options.

edited December 1969

Any enhancement to Hex's and Bryce's capabilities are to be welcomed.

I personally don't see much of an advantage to having Octane or Iray render capability for Hex, because the models I make are not intended for rendition in Studio and I don't have Octane. Those who do model for Studio could possibly benefit.

Enhanced render capability for Bryce would be awesome!

• scathascatha Posts: 756
    edited December 1969

If anything, what Hexagon really needs is 64-bit support.

• SweetleafSweetleaf Posts: 32
    edited July 2015

I'd have though that if anything, then Hex needs it's bugs squashed and a few years of updates created first.

Post edited by Sweetleaf on