DAZ Studio Pro 4.8.0.59, General Release, Now Available! [*UPDATED*]

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

McGrandpa said:
    IS there a way to set system limits in DS 4.8? Like, stop grabbing system ram at a certain point. I started a render a while ago I had no way to interrupt. Studio not only grabbed all available system ram, is also grabbed 12 gigs of page file, and left me staring at a frozen mouse cursor and a solid red HD activity light. And 83 mb ram available. I want Studio and its renderers to stop taking ram when there is 1 gb free ram left. That should allow me to still move around the system a little bit. It took more than five minutes for the CANCEL to take effect on the Render. This made me feel just like Win over DOS days all over again!

In the Advanced Render Settings tab there is an option to turn off the CPU and only use the GPU if your card is powerful enough to do it all with just the cards RAM.... if not then your kinda stuck, as I am at the moment. (My new card was a dud so I had to put my old one back in and sending the dud back to EVGA tomorrow to have them look at it....) SIGH....

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

(My new card was a dud so I had to put my old one back in and sending the dud back to EVGA tomorrow to have them look at it….)

Pouts..

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    (My new card was a dud so I had to put my old one back in and sending the dud back to EVGA tomorrow to have them look at it….)

Pouts..

I know, all that bitching I did about my Environ causing all this commotion during the renders and freezing my system up... it was the damned card.... My old card... not one bit of trouble! Just slower renders! *pouts*

• McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464
    edited June 2015

RAMWolff said:
    McGrandpa said:
    IS there a way to set system limits in DS 4.8? Like, stop grabbing system ram at a certain point. I started a render a while ago I had no way to interrupt. Studio not only grabbed all available system ram, is also grabbed 12 gigs of page file, and left me staring at a frozen mouse cursor and a solid red HD activity light. And 83 mb ram available. I want Studio and its renderers to stop taking ram when there is 1 gb free ram left. That should allow me to still move around the system a little bit. It took more than five minutes for the CANCEL to take effect on the Render. This made me feel just like Win over DOS days all over again!

In the Advanced Render Settings tab there is an option to turn off the CPU and only use the GPU if your card is powerful enough to do it all with just the cards RAM.... if not then your kinda stuck, as I am at the moment. (My new card was a dud so I had to put my old one back in and sending the dud back to EVGA tomorrow to have them look at it....) SIGH....

Cool, and thanks Wolfie! Sorry to hear about your EVGA card. Which one you buy? I got a stack of old EVGA cards, starting with a NV 6800, a 6800GT, pair of 7800 GTX 128 meg cards (SLI), and now this dinky little EVGA GT 740 sc 2 gig GDDR3 card. I'll try it with access to CPU off and see what happens. My vid card cost a whopping $87! LOL! The one it replaced ran $1000.00 when it was released. Yaknow, I've never had a EVGA dud before. That you got one surprises me. Hope ya get it sorted pronto!
    OH, I am thinking seriously about getting a EVGA GTX 960 SuperClock 4 gig GDDR5. Direct from EVGA looks to be the cheapest plus about the same for shipping as Tiger Direct.

Post edited by McGrandpa on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Studio does not now nor has it ever had a 'top level' folder for its native files like Poser's 'top level' "Runtime" folder. The "Content" folder of old was just the name of the library folder and could be named anything you wanted.

• gidduegiddue Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

Hi... Do you know if it's possible to downgrade to the previous version of DAZ (4.7) or use firefly as render engine?

THe new one just KILLS my sysyem...

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

giddue said:
    Hi... Do you know if it's possible to downgrade to the previous version of DAZ (4.7) or use firefly as render engine?

Firefly is Poser - DS had and HAS 3Delight.
    Go to the Render Settings tab and use the dropdown menu for the render engine.

edited December 1969

Thanks!!!! I was about to disinstall everything and ask for the old version! :P

Is the content management also changed? I can't find the PRODUCTS tab anymore... ??

Kerya said:
    giddue said:

Firefly is Poser - DS had and HAS 3Delight.
    Go to the Render Settings tab and use the dropdown menu for the render engine.

edited December 1969

Sorry not the producs, I mean the ACTORS.
    In the panel ACTORS, WARDROBE & PROPS now I can see just the surface properties... it's just me or they moved the panels somewhere else (or maybe they're hidden behind an option?)

thanks again

giovanni

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

giddue said:
    Sorry not the producs, I mean the ACTORS.
    In the panel ACTORS, WARDROBE & PROPS now I can see just the surface properties... it's just me or they moved the panels somewhere else (or maybe they're hidden behind an option?)

thanks again

giovanni

Window>Workspace>Select Layout and reload your layout. It's likely you had closed one or more panes, or dragged them off screen at some point.

edited December 1969

Thanks!!" You rock!!

edited June 2015

In 4.8, after I drag panels or panes off the main program space (undock), how do I get them to RE-dock somewhere in the main screen? I read in the User Manual that all I have to do is left-click-hold-drag a pane into the main area again, hover it over any of the four main docking areas, watch for some kind of highlighting to occur and drop the pane and it will dock in that place. Simple and straightforward drag and drop. Not happening.
    TIA!

EDIT: oh wow, this was TOO easy! Just right click on some empty area in the main screen docking area for context menu, choose "Add Pane (Tab)", pick one, and its done. :D

Post edited by McGrandpa on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,247
    edited December 1969

Well, the verdict appears to be in regarding the mysterious external data folder.

I deleted it. Then I hitched the drive, and my projects drive up to my old computer where I'd deinstalled Studio 4.7 and reinstalled 4.5 to see if I could get into my old .daz files and save them out as .dufs. (It worked. Hallelujah.) I put in an evening converting files.

Then the next morning I went to look at the content folder of the library that the external data fie kept showing up in. It was back. And contained a folder named 'auto_adapted' which contained a whole slew of subfolders of items that had been a part of all of those converted scenes.

Virttually none of them had anything whatsoever to do with that particular library (which is my shader collection). Most of which don't even have shaders applied.

However, that library is at the top of the list of Studio content libraries in my content manager. So, apparently, everything lands there.

Upon further examination, it turned out that that particular library was set up wrong from the get-go. It had the Content subfolder that I use for all of the libraries which have both Studio and Poser content installed, but being shaders, there is no Poser content there.

So. I moved everything up a level and now the auto_adapted file shows up inside that data folder.

Now, what I want to know is; should it be there at all? It's clearly something that Studio generates on its own, but does it belong in *that* data folder. it's got nothing to do with shaders, and is only going to keep generating more of them as I open up and work on files. The one I deleted turned out to have over 900 subfolders sitting in it. This one already has nearly 300.

Ought I to create a, mostly empty library and force it to the top of the content manager list specifically to host that folder and isolate it from my other libraries? Ought I to periodically delete the auto_adapted data file that gets generated? It takes up a pretty fair amount of space.

Is this the source of the duplicate IDs alert that I keep getting as often as no whenever I open up an existing scene? I'm sure that the data files in this folder have not been moved from the data folders of the libraries where these items are actually installed.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Now, what I want to know is; should it be there at all? It’s clearly something that Studio generates on its own, but does it belong in *that* data folder.

Data folder is about the most important folder to studio. Every product created for studio that has geometry or morphs or uv's has a data file. Anything you use that was created for poser (primary) generates a data file so that studio can use it.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Well, the verdict appears to be in regarding the mysterious external data folder.

I deleted it. Then I hitched the drive, and my projects drive up to my old computer where I'd deinstalled Studio 4.7 and reinstalled 4.5 to see if I could get into my old .daz files and save them out as .dufs. (It worked. Hallelujah.) I put in an evening converting files.

Then the next morning I went to look at the content folder of the library that the external data fie kept showing up in. It was back. And contained a folder named 'auto_adapted' which contained a whole slew of subfolders of items that had been a part of all of those converted scenes.

Virttually none of them had anything whatsoever to do with that particular library (which is my shader collection). Most of which don't even have shaders applied.

However, that library is at the top of the list of Studio content libraries in my content manager. So, apparently, everything lands there.

Upon further examination, it turned out that that particular library was set up wrong from the get-go. It had the Content subfolder that I use for all of the libraries which have both Studio and Poser content installed, but being shaders, there is no Poser content there.

So. I moved everything up a level and now the auto_adapted file shows up inside that data folder.

Now, what I want to know is; should it be there at all? It's clearly something that Studio generates on its own, but does it belong in *that* data folder. it's got nothing to do with shaders, and is only going to keep generating more of them as I open up and work on files. The one I deleted turned out to have over 900 subfolders sitting in it. This one already has nearly 300.

Ought I to create a, mostly empty library and force it to the top of the content manager list specifically to host that folder and isolate it from my other libraries? Ought I to periodically delete the auto_adapted data file that gets generated? It takes up a pretty fair amount of space.

Is this the source of the duplicate IDs alert that I keep getting as often as no whenever I open up an existing scene? I'm sure that the data files in this folder have not been moved from the data folders of the libraries where these items are actually installed.

Yes, auto_adapted gets dumped into the FIRST listed content folder.

NO, NEVER DELETE IT...or you won't be able to open the old scenes without recreating it/forcing it to be created/populated!

No, DupID errors have other causes.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I believe if you saved to a mapped DAZ Studio content folder, the files and folders will be created in that local folder. However if you save to a folder you haven't mapped as a DAZ Studio content folder, these files are instead created in the first mapped content folder you have. I indeed made one special just to hold all this, although now that I know to save to a mapped folder I think I'm no longer adding to it.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    edited December 1969

I believe if you saved to a mapped DAZ Studio content folder, the files and folders will be created in that local folder. However if you save to a folder you haven't mapped as a DAZ Studio content folder, these files are instead created in the first mapped content folder you have. I indeed made one special just to hold all this, although now that I know to save to a mapped folder I think I'm no longer adding to it.

IIRC, in Studio version 3 and before the data folder used was always the first mapped content folder. So, as force of habit, my first mapped content folder is - "mydata", as in D:\S4Stuff\mydata.. It's also the content folder I store anything I've morphed/modified, including scene subsets and character presets.

edited December 1969

namffuak said:

IIRC, in Studio version 3 and before the data folder used was always the first mapped content folder. So, as force of habit, my first mapped content folder is - "mydata", as in D:\S4Stuff\mydata.. It's also the content folder I store anything I've morphed/modified, including scene subsets and character presets.

Yeah, it was.

And I think that's one of the sources for the broken scenes when 4.0 came out...

edited December 1969

Hi JOdel! Just making sure we're all on the same page now: This DATA folder is critical to being able to use new DAZ content in both Poser as well as Studio. It contains the geometries now and quite a lot more information than just that. So IF a new folder named data pops up during content install, don't delete it. Rather, simply move/merge it with the ONE data folder that is in the exact spot DS needs it to be. I have seen that dragging and dropping unzipped content from the temp staging area to the desired destination runtime occasionally puts some stuff in the wrong folder level. data folders must go in the BASE location, the same level as runtime. Deleting it, I found, results in reinstalling the content that needed the stuff in it.
    The reason for needing 'data' in the specific place it is now located is simple. That is the location that all the newer .DUF files are told internally to go find stuff. It is simply a critical component of the new tech DAZ have released and represents one element of a new standard. The thing is simply the path written into every piece of new content. This also replaces the old means of storing "Morph Deltas". All that wonderful data now goes to, "DATA". And since it IS "hardwired" into the content itself, all programs that can use said content also use "data". It should be transparent to us, and if we put the content in the right places, it IS.

Thanks to Khory and a handful of other helpful people for help and guidance in my learning about these very useful things!

McG.

JOdel said:

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    namffuak said:

Yeah, it was.

And I think that's one of the sources for the broken scenes when 4.0 came out...

Oh My. So, where DS3A was able to use OLD saved scenes in the OLD .ds files, DS4 can't because the location of "DATA" changed? WAS there even a data folder back then? I still have a pile of old scenes it would be nice to revisit. *IF* data is now in the DS correct place, can DS read the old format even?
    I think I will go see if I can find some on old cd's!

edited December 1969

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is how that information is written in the scene file that causes the problem...moving it may allow the scenes to work, but removing it will break them.

Because, you can 'rescue' some broken scenes by repopulating the auto_adapted folder, no matter where it is now located, as long as Studio itself can find it.

edited December 1969

McGrandpa said:
    mjc1016 said:
    namffuak said:

Yeah, it was.

Oh My. So, where DS3A was able to use OLD saved scenes in the OLD .ds files, DS4 can't because the location of "DATA" changed? WAS there even a data folder back then? I still have a pile of old scenes it would be nice to revisit. *IF* data is now in the DS correct place, can DS read the old format even?
    I think I will go see if I can find some on old cd's!

The Data folder is needed, and must be in the root of a DAZ Studio content directory (not in a sub-folder). As long as it is the files will be found - as with any relative path, DS will stick the location of each content directory in front until it finds the file or runs out of directories.

edited December 1969

And THAT last bit is what makes the File handler module so special in this iteration! I did do what you showed me was necessary, and suddenly it all worked, no errors. I chortled with delight sending DS headlong into my SCENES runtime, full of .PZ3's, and DS has had very few problems with even those! Yes, Richard, we are having FUN now! And the only real change I made was to move all the data folders to the right place. I know that for some of us hardheads, we have to have an extra moment for some things to sink in and the dim little light come on. I now grok "data", and CONTENT ain't doing so bad either! I happily note all those folders you referred to as "User folders" are seen and contents available for use. So the base directory is kept clean and every one of those folders, even the ones I simply dragged and dropped in there, DS uses with no issues so far! :o)
    McG.

Contents_of_CONTENT_1.jpg
    799 x 875 - 99K
    edited December 1969

See....it ain't so hard... :lol:

And there is some logic to it.

Actually, it's a much simpler logic, and I think that some of the problems are the more complicated/rigid structure of Poser is so deeply embedded in the way many of us who've been at this a long time think/work.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

That's not what I was told when I raised a support ticket about it some years ago. I do have old .daz scenes that give errors when I load them. Some work anyway, usually needing the materials reapplied, some don't. Some were scenes I've saved myself, some were actual DAZ products from the DAZ store that I paid for.

What I was told was that the .daz format was too unstable and D|S4 was unable to read all of the old files reliably. That always struck me as a bit odd, since I still have the last good version of D|S3 installed, and it can read every single one of the dud files perfectly. The problem seems to be D|S3 (and earlier versions) occasionally diverting /data/ file saves to weird folder hierarchies in the /data/ folder. D|S3 can cut the Gordian knot and load the scene properly, D|S4 gets all confused.

For what it's worth, I've found that if a scene is saved to a properly logged content location, and you do have multiple /data/ folders, it doesn't matter which /data/ folder the files are in, D|S will find and load them. At one point many years ago I (briefly) actually had my main /data/ folder and my main /Runtime/Textures/ folder in proper content locations on different drives. Worked without a glitch. Not sure I'd dare try that nowadays... :ahhh:

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

For what it's worth, I've found that if a scene is saved to a properly logged content location, and you do have multiple /data/ folders, it doesn't matter which /data/ folder the files are in, D|S will find and load them. At one point many years ago I (briefly) actually had my main /data/ folder and my main /Runtime/Textures/ folder in proper content locations on different drives. Worked without a glitch. Not sure I'd dare try that nowadays... :ahhh:

Still does -- I used to keep my Data, Geometries, and Textures in their own content folder with no user-facing files.

• loopenoxloopenox Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

Hey guys!

Since I updated to 4.8.x I can't change parameters for multiple selected nodes/items anymore.

For example, if I select multiple nodes and change the scale parameter, only ONE of those selected change the size.
    It worked without problems in v4.7x and earlier.

Also, "Consolidate Properties" does not change this behavior, no matter if checked or not - it does nothing (again, works fine in earlier versions).

Is there another setting that might affect this or is it a bug?

edited December 1969

Consolidate Properties should be checked, Display Separate items should be unchecked.

• loopenoxloopenox Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

Consolidate Properties should be checked, Display Separate items should be unchecked.

Those were my settings - still, didn't work.

I got it fixed by manually installing the standard, non-beta version. Now everything works again like it should :)

• vortex3DSvortex3DS Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

How can I target multiple objects using smoothing?

- Multiple characters against multiple targets (objects or characters).

Am I using this wrong or is that a software limitation?