June 2015 New User Contest - Scenes and Landscapes [WIP Thread]

1234568»

Comments

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646
    edited December 1969

Fishtales said:
    I have worked on this for days trying to get it to look right but it just isn't happening. A few hours on Bryce and I would have had it done :-S

I usually use DAZ Studio files when working in it but this time I thought I would bring the scene in from Bryce. The terrain and water are made up in Bryce and then textured in DAZ Studio; the clouds are a skydome and the ships are DAZ. Lighting is from the skydome and a spot light for the sun; rendered in 3Delight.

I think Fishtales it is the scaling that is throwing you off. Your ships are to big for the rugged terrain. Looking at your second render I only see about a 5x size difference. I think it would look better somewhere greater than 10x. I would also bump up the tile numbers on the water plane to give the waves a better scale to the mountains. I would also adjust the lights to be more sunshine, yellows instead of greys. or if you want a more gloomy environment then change out the texture on the sky dome to something more cloudy. Isn't it fun to work in another application? Just kidding, but I do admire you going outside of your comfort box to render a landscape in DAZ Studio. Not an easy thing for sure.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited June 2015

Dollygirl said:
    Fishtales said:
    I have worked on this for days trying to get it to look right but it just isn't happening. A few hours on Bryce and I would have had it done :-S

I usually use DAZ Studio files when working in it but this time I thought I would bring the scene in from Bryce. The terrain and water are made up in Bryce and then textured in DAZ Studio; the clouds are a skydome and the ships are DAZ. Lighting is from the skydome and a spot light for the sun; rendered in 3Delight.

I think Fishtales it is the scaling that is throwing you off. Your ships are to big for the rugged terrain. Looking at your second render I only see about a 5x size difference. I think it would look better somewhere greater than 10x. I would also bump up the tile numbers on the water plane to give the waves a better scale to the mountains. I would also adjust the lights to be more sunshine, yellows instead of greys. or if you want a more gloomy environment then change out the texture on the sky dome to something more cloudy. Isn't it fun to work in another application? Just kidding, but I do admire you going outside of your comfort box to render a landscape in DAZ Studio. Not an easy thing for sure.

Thank you for your comments.

It isn't the scene I am unhappy with, it is the terrible texturing on the terain and the amount of work to get the water close to the way it would look in Bryce :-) The sun is already slightly yellow as I never use a white sun and, although not great, I am happy with the clouds. I do work in DAZ but not by importing stuff from Bryce, I'm usually working in the opposite direction though :-)

Post edited by Fishtales on
  • cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409
    edited December 1969

@Fishtales:
    you are right, the textures look wrong. I found Bryce manages terrain better than DAZ. But I love your sky!

• Babalar1Babalar1 Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

There's some really great renders this month. Thanks to all who commented during my short visits to the wip conversation. Didn't have the time I would have liked to participate more but everything said was helpful. As always, it's been a great learning experience. Good luck to everyone participating.

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409
    edited December 1969

I was really glad about this month's competition themes, as it forced me to start with a software I already owned but hadn't tried so far.
    Andi perhaps, without this competition, I woudn't have tried it at all.
    Thank you to all of you!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Don't forget that today is the last day for this Contest, so make sure your finialised renders are put inot the Entry thread.

• XangthXangth Posts: 127
    edited December 1969

Wow robborfla1 I love the sky. I would like to ask a question if I may. How did you get the sun rays to come from behind the clouds? I love the effect.

• Babalar1Babalar1 Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

Xangth said:
    Wow robborfla1 I love the sky. I would like to ask a question if I may. How did you get the sun rays to come from behind the clouds? I love the effect.

Thanks Xangth, The sky was created using a combination skydome hdr and a sun disk aligned together as well as settings for additional clouds and haze. But the sun rays in this render came as a default with the hdr image. If you're interested in creating the affect of crepuscular "sun" rays, look no further than David Brinnen's youtube tutorial on the subject or another neat trick that I've found is using spotlights with "surface" selected under the render settings.

However, I'm not sure if the rays coming from behind the clouds can be done using these methods. Maybe Chohole who has some beautiful landscape renders using crepuscular rays could help. I would also be interested in learning how to do this.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Contest Closed