DSON Importer for Poser 1.1.3.50 General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I just love freebies - they let you play with a figure before putting too much money into it.
    https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org/wiki/Genesis_2_Female
    https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org/wiki/Genesis_2_Male

• McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

Ain't it the truth!!! LOL! I sometimes think I was born to do it the hard way. But this time all sorts of folks have already worked out whassup with Genesis stuff. I come a learning and I reckon to get it right. I got some of the paid type items I guess. I have Aiko 6 and Victoria 6. They are installed and working well now, in PP2014 and DS 4.6 x64. Funny though, I am finding more things in the Poser Library (with DSON working right now) than I do in DS 4.6. Ha!
    Thanks for your help Kerya!

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    I just love freebies - they let you play with a figure before putting too much money into it.
    https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org/wiki/Genesis_2_Female
    https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org/wiki/Genesis_2_Male

Oh yeah, after a couple days playing with A6/V6 and the free morphs I can still see where those two morph packs are very necessary to get the kind of usability I have with a fully morphed up V4. I got the bundle with both head and body morphs in my wishlist now. Gotta wait till the 1st tho!
    Thanks again Kerya!

McG.

• dvitoladvitola Posts: 136
    edited December 1969

I am a PoserPro 2014 user and still use Gen 4. I tried to figure out DSON and import the Epic Wings. I have yet to figure out DSON. It is so complicated that I immediately become confused. I would love to try Gen 6, but with the cost, I'm not sure I could get it to successfully run in Poser. I'm not tech savvy like a lot of you as far as all the things you are talking about. Is there an easy tutorial that will make things work in Poser? I mean EASY. I tried one I found online and threw my hands up in disgust. It just doesn't seem very intuitive for us folks who just like to play dress up dolls. Thanks.

edited December 1969

Hi folks. Isn't DSON supposed to read and show .DUF files in Poser? An example is Cute3D's Jeans Girl outfit for G2F. As is the norm for DAZ stuff, all the clothing Figures and textures are in the same folder set. People. DSON 1.1.3.50 is the version I am using, and it does show some things, but not so much as one .DUF file. Is that what is supposed to happen? Looking at the product page it does come in a DSON installer (ZIP). It, like so many of DAZ other products now, just says DSON and supports DAZ Studio 4.6.

IF the vendors are not going to make their products compatible with Poser, then there is a handful of things I will have to ask for a refund on, and pretty quick. Please don't mention doing something, anything at all, in DS. That won't happen.

TIA!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    edited December 1969

The DSON Importer relies on a Poser library file, which launches a Python script, which tells the importer to load the .duf file. That's what the PoserCF package is for, where there is one. In the absence of PoserCFs you can use the Dimension3D script to browse to a .duf file and launch the importer, but of course that won't give Poser materials and some items simply won't work.

edited December 1969

The DSON Importer relies on a Poser library file, which launches a Python script, which tells the importer to load the .duf file. That's what the PoserCF package is for, where there is one. In the absence of PoserCFs you can use the Dimension3D script to browse to a .duf file and launch the importer, but of course that won't give Poser materials and some items simply won't work.

Link: http://d3d.sesseler.de/index.php?software=poserpython&product=dson_loader

edited October 2014

@ richard_haseltine
    @ kerya

OK, got that D3D py in place and it works. As Ralf seems to indicate it is simply a workaround, I didn't expect much. So I got more than I expected. The J Girl set, including textures, are DS Only. I can't see any of those files in the PP2014 Library at all. I click on the D3D script in the Script menu and it gives me a dialog to locate a file. I select the top, and in a few seconds it appears on Aiko 6. Then, so happy I could just burst, I did the same for the pants. Well hey, MOST of the pants appeared, and even accept textures. The entire Hip geometry is missing though. As promised, it ain't perfect! But it is a help for sure.
    Do you think this will be addressed in DSON? Seems pretty important. Just saying. Hm. Is it so difficult for the vendor to make the Poser companion files? Those, with DSON for Poser, problem solved, right?

Thanks much both of you!
    McG.

g2f_clothing_oops.jpg
    381 x 860 - 34K
    Post edited by McGrandpa on
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure what you mean - the missing hip (actually, it's probably the Pelvis) geometry may be a grouping issue, Poser doesn't like it if the mesh's group name doesn't match a bone while DS doesn't care; that's the sort of thing that needs a product update if the PA wants to support Poser. Remember that the Poser plug-in is the DSON Importer, the DSON file format is the native DAZ Studio format, so something that says it has DSON installers only doesn't officially support Poser.

edited December 1969

I don't know what it is actually called, it is just the part of A6 that selects called the "Hip", and that corresponding part in the pants is missing that hunk of mesh entirely. Yup I think I will site PM Cute3D and ask them if they could create Poser Companion files for some of their products missing them. This set is cute, I paid for it, I recall DS loaded it fine but Poser won't unless running the D3D script, and that doesn't always work. Just like y'all said.

g2f_clothing_oops_2.jpg
    912 x 819 - 224K
  • borgtrekkerborgtrekker Posts: 112
    edited December 1969

Have been reading this interesting discussion on DSON and have a question although it is months since anyone has posted here...

I use Poser 10 , which is a 32 bit program. Will DSON work with this version or is it only for other versions that are 64 bit programs like Poser 14 Pro?

If it will work in Poser 10 do only the CF files get installed or do i need the main DAZ files also for figures as well as essentials for Genesis & Gen 2.

Thanks.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

It works with 32-bit P9 or P10, however HD morphs won't.

You DO need to install the main files -- the PoserCF just has the Poser library files, not the geometries, morphs, or textures. CF stands for Companion File, meaning it is a companion for the main file rather than being stand-alone.

• borgtrekkerborgtrekker Posts: 112
    edited December 1969

You DO need to install the main files -- the PoserCF just has the Poser library files, not the geometries, morphs, or textures. CF stands for Companion File, meaning it is a companion for the main file rather than being stand-alone.

Thanks for the help and HD morphs info. i will be sure to stay away from them in Poser till I upgrade later this year.

edited December 1969

DIM tells me there is an update for DSON?

The Readme page is out- out- outdated and still shows 1.1.3.29 as the newest Beta and 1.1.2.117 as the newest public release ...
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/start

• QuietrobQuietrob Posts: 361
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the help and HD morphs info. i will be sure to stay away from them in Poser till I upgrade later this year.

I just saw the new Sci Fi Marinia and I like it. I want it. Now. However...

There are no Poser companion files and I'd like to use it in my favorite program. This is strictly DUF files. I don't have any problems with the DSON importer for Poser but this feels like different. This question was asked but never answered.

Is it difficult to make the Poser Companion Files so I can get this while it's still on sale? Even if someone used the D3D utitlity and verified that it worked with this Prop it would be enough.

Thanks all!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,361
    edited February 2015

quietrob said:

There are no Poser companion files and I'd like to use it in my favorite program. This is strictly DUF files. I don't have any problems with the DSON importer for Poser but this feels like different. This question was asked but never answered.

Is it difficult to make the Poser Companion Files so I can get this while it's still on sale? Even if someone used the D3D utitlity and verified that it worked with this Prop it would be enough.

Thanks all!

Which pack of the 3 are you looking to get. All 3?

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • QuietrobQuietrob Posts: 361
    edited February 2015

Frank0314 said:
    quietrob said:

Thanks all!

Which pack of the 3 are you looking to get. All 3?

I really like the station and the yacht. I would save nine bucks on a bundle. I rarely buy bundles unless they are REALLY discounted but this one looks special. The station looks perfect for tales of the future. But I'd like some certainty first. As the Admin said, "sometimes it (DSON Importer) doesn't work at all. I think it does work when the creator takes the time to include the companion files.

Post edited by Quietrob on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,361
    edited February 2015

It doesn't look like it's compatible with Poser but you can bring it in and build all your own mats or create your own Poser CF files. with Poser as supplied but you may be able to import it directly, and create your own materials, using the Dimension3D importer script http://d3d.sesseler.de/index.php?software=poserpython&product=dson_loader or by creating your own PoserCF files

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,785
    edited December 1969

Someone should update the title of this thread, because the Importer has apparently been updated. The current version in my account is 1.2.0.12...

edited December 1969

Well thanks for the heads up then! 1.2.0.12 ? Off to dl it!
    McG.

• StarLabzStarLabz Posts: 57
    edited May 2015

The new update is crap. Every since the update and i have re-downloaded many times it has corrupted my saved files. I have a character i spent a lot of time on that ill not even load. Even scene files that wont load. It loads then freezes. I have never had an issue with DSON until i updated it.

It crashes poser all the time. I even saved eh character and the DSON states that it is retrieving DSON data and then it freezes poser or crashes. WHAT THE F>......I spent countless hours working on this character and i had to load the cr2 in DAZ Studio just to get teh parameters, which took me forever to rebuild the character. Even after re-saving it, DSON is crap. It totally crashes poser, or hangs forever.

Whatever you did to fix the so called perfect DSON importer, Screwed it up completely.....

I have the most recent POSER PRO 2014, and now the DSON importer craps out after saving data so you cannot reload what you worked on.

This 1.2.0.12 is absolutely rubbish.

Post edited by StarLabz on
    edited December 1969

Does the most recent Poser Pro 2014 include SR5? Do you have the progress bar turned off in Scripts>DSON Support>Importer preferences?

• RHatchRHatch Posts: 49
    edited December 1969

Just a heads-up for those not in the loop: DO NOT install DSON Importer 1.2.0.12 - it messes up Genesis 2 Female's left ankle, and, although Genesis 3 Female isn't officially supported in Poser at this time, it seems that she will import more or less intact with 1.1.3.50, whereas she will import completely broken with 1.2.0.12.

edited December 1969

RHatch said:
    Just a heads-up for those not in the loop: DO NOT install DSON Importer 1.2.0.12 - it messes up Genesis 2 Female's left ankle, and, although Genesis 3 Female isn't officially supported in Poser at this time, it seems that she will import more or less intact with 1.1.3.50, whereas she will import completely broken with 1.2.0.12.

Thank you - will have to take a look whether I saved 1.1.3.50 somewhere before updating ... I hope so.

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    RHatch said:

Thank you - will have to take a look whether I saved 1.1.3.50 somewhere before updating ... I hope so.
    If you have the Beta version in your product Library, it is 1.1.3.49; Likely not much, if any difference...

edited December 1969

WandW said:
    Kerya said:
    RHatch said:

If you have the Beta version in your product Library, it is 1.1.3.49; Likely not much, if any difference...

I have! :)

I have filed a support ticket for the ankle problem in February - got "we are looking into it" two days later ... added that there is no dent with the older DSON version ... two days later "thank you" ... and that was that.
    I doubt the DSON importer will be fixed nowadays ...

edited December 1969

Kerya said:

I have filed a support ticket for the ankle problem in February - got "we are looking into it" two days later ... added that there is no dent with the older DSON version ... two days later "thank you" ... and that was that.

Me too, and I don't think it will be fixed either...

edited December 1969

Hey y'all!

I noticed something new-ish with the DSON supported product installer(s) that isn't good at all. Considering what all the end contents of this new folder tree ARE, this new folder and attendant tree belongs in GEOMETRIES. If it HAD been put there, I would never have even noticed it.
    Directly under (inside) the folder RUNTIME, same tree level as Libraries, is a new one. DSON. THIS is the one that belongs in Geometries.

DSON creators; adjust your software and vendors to put DSON in Geometries.

McG.

edited December 1969

Mc. G,
    Are you talking about the DSON folder that contains a folder called 'auto-adapted'? If so, that is created by the DSON importer, and that is where it happens to put stuff; there doesn't seem to be a setting to change the subdirectory....

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104
    WandW said:

Kerya said:

Me too, and I don't think it will be fixed either...

Well, in spite of the ads claiming Poser compatability via DSON for Genesis 2, it is now almost September and no bug fix.   I have invested serious money in Genesis 2 relying on that compatability.   The new Scott 6 character is claimed to be Poser compatible via DSON.   While I am glad to see continuing support for Genesis 2, how about fixing DSON before adding more content?