Show Daz that Carrara users are a market worth supporting! How many Product Pages do you have?

Comments

• shlomi laszloshlomi laszlo Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

1. 50
    2. carrara
    3. maybe

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Just to add to what Dustrider has said above, even if DAZ never implements Genesis 3 compatibility and never develops the program further (and I have no insider knowledge one way of the other, this is just a "What If"), I can still see me using it for many years to come. The figures that are available for it already are fine and with plugins such as Octane, I can get better and faster results than I can with DS or any other program - admittedly partly because that is what I am familiar with using, but also because of Carrara features such as replication and hair. But under this scenario, there would be less and less new content that I can use directly and that would lead to me buying less from DAZ. I know for them it is largely a numbers game, but failure to deliver Genesis 3 compatibility and further program improvements will have a knock-on effect for them too.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,189
    edited December 1969

1. 47
    2. Carrara
    3. Probably not. I'm interested in creating short animations, and the content collection I have - from DAZ, and many other websites that continue to bring out new items that are Carrara compatible - is more than adequate. My experience with DS, Genesis, DUF files, etc., has been very poor.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

1/. 64
    2/. Carrara
    3/. Yes .. I would normally purchase the Pro Bundle version of any new major figure.

I'll also echo those pointing out that it's no big deal for Carrara, or it's usability, it's only going to effect new Gen3 Daz3D sales. tto carrara users, and many people here will still purchase (non Genesis 3) items, such as Props, and Scenes.

As a full 3D application,. Carrara has always been independent of content,. it can make it's own content,. and that's a dilemma for a business based on content sales.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    1/. 64
    2/. Carrara
    3/. Yes .. I would normally purchase the Pro Bundle version of any new major figure.

I'll also echo those pointing out that it's no big deal for Carrara, or it's usability, it's only going to effect new Gen3 Daz3D sales. tto carrara users, and many people here will still purchase (non Genesis 3) items, such as Props, and Scenes.

As a full 3D application,. Carrara has always been independent of content,. it can make it's own content,. and that's a dilemma for a business based on content sales.

Not if you want people or creatures, animals etc in your scenes. I only got into Poser so that I could have that sort of figure in my landscapes.

• edited December 1969

1: 61 Pages
    2: Used to be Carrara, is now Poser because the new figures didn't work.
    3: Yes.

• Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302
    edited June 2015

deleted

Post edited by Frank__ on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

1. 39 pages (hey, I'm in good company, me and BooksbyDavid have the same number :) ) I was surprised it was that low, then realized that I've spent much more over on Renderosity for content and a tiny smidgen on other sites like Runtime; still I spend thousands on this hobby every year and Daz could earn more of my business if they made more Carrara-friendly content.

2. Carrara (everything else is just a plugin for Carrara)

3. Yes, with reservations. I've bought a lot of Genesis2 stuff and not that impressed with it, neither does Genesis3 impress me all that much, especially since V4/M4 works so well for me and has such a vast library of premade stuff out there. I can buy the premise that Genesis1 was a step forward, as it's an all-in-one character, but not as sure about Genesis2 or as keen on it, neither am I sold that Genesis3 is a big enough leap forward. That said, if Genesis3 was Carrara-friendly then I would purchase/support this line. As it's currently not, my spending money will go elsewhere).

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

1) 10 pages.
    2) Carrara 7.2 Pro and Carrara 8.5 Pro
    3) Maybe.

Jon, I found the biggest advantage to Genesis and Genesis 2 over the Gen 4 (and earlier) figures was the joint bending. It seems much more fluid and natural. The rest I could give a crap about and I actually find a lot of it annoying like the multiple UV maps and new "characters" every other day.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

With all due respect, I'm pretty sure that DAZ has a VERY good idea of where its revenues are coming from and who their target market is. And a thread like this isn't going to change anyone's mind. They know who's using Carrara and downloading Carrara updates and what their contribution to revenues is.

Sure, it isn't perfect information, but when you compare many thousands of D|S users to a relatively few stalwart Carrara users, it's pretty much no contest. Their market is those who download free D|S and buy some content for it, then hang around for a while, then move on to something else. Sad to say, but I think that's the case. Carrara was abandoned long ago. Yeah, it's a nice program, but that doesn't pay the bills.

And someone mentioned open source. Personally, I think that is a very bad move for DAZ. Once they go open source they lose control over compatibility, and put their software in the hands of people whom they can't control. And Genesis 15 and Victoria 23 might never ever be even close to compatible with Carrara. You think it's bad now? Wow, if they open source it, nothing would work.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

And BTW, if anyone is REALLY interested in improving their software options with their V4's or whatever, have a group of developers get together and make a really good import/export for all the Carrara scenes into Blender. A far far better option, IMO, than trying to bring Carrara out of the dark ages.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

20+
    Daz Studio
    Yes

stopped using Carrara after 8.5. [redacted etc etc]

I was trying to use Carrara as a solution for things Daz and Hexagon are not capable of. I gave up a few years ago because G1 support was terrible. I never upgraded to 8.5. I was disappointed then and gave up hope frankly.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

Keep adding to this list everyone,

I have sent the list to this thread to DAZ Marketing.

thanks Ringo, and to everyone who has responded so far !
    those pages of products are adding up

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

71 Pages aprox 4500 items
    Carrara now hate DAZ Studio with a passion since all the updates.
    I would buy more content if it was Carrara compatable and Carrara was Properly supported.
    This was expressed very vocally in my Ticket.

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Hya,

With the recent addition of Genesis 3, which by all reports, will not work in Carrara, it seems like Daz has lost even more interest in Carrara users. This is reflected in the last two polls they have sent out which I believe did not have Carrara listed as a choice in 'the 'what software do you use' question.

Could that be because they feel we don't buy enough content.?

Yet I am a Carrara user and have 56 pages in my product library!

So my questions to you:

1) How many pages do you have in your product library?

2) What is the primary software that you use with these products?

3) Would you buy Genesis 3 products if they worked in your primary software?.

Hopefully some one intelligent from Daz will sit up and listen.

my answers:

1) 56
    2) Carrara
    3) Yes

1. 27
    2. Carrara
    3. Yes

edited December 1969

a user from renderosity

1) 50

2) Carrara

3) yes

edited December 1969

another user from rendo

1) 55 (btw RO is 224 items)

2) Carrara (what else?)

3) Maybe....

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    ... V4/M4 works so well for me and has such a vast library of premade stuff out there. ...

My sentiments exactly.

edited December 1969

another user from rendo :

1. 28

2. Carrara. I am trying my lucks with C4D too, but it's too hard to learn for the limited time that I have.

3. No

edited December 1969

dustrider said:
    ... Carrara is the only "full featured" general purpose 3D application that can easily consume (use) DAZ 3D content. ...

I think I agree with you, but I would change "DAZ 3D Content" to "Poser Format Content". Many websites other than DAZ offer Carrara/ Poser compatible content.

• CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

1.) 97 Pages (WHoa!)
    2.) Carrara (Since 6.1)
    3.) Very much YES!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,794
    edited December 1969

I have made some advances in getting facial animation out of iClone on the G3F FBX.
    I need to only use the facial bones NOT the expression morphs which are not bone based I found so need to do a new expression editor version manually posing visemes etc using bones.
    The few I did DO transfer over so I may be tempted to buy V7 at a later date if that is so as the FBX works as well as any iClone export in C8.5 (not the update I am avoiding) and unlike other re-exported DAZ figures I may get this one talking.

• kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

1) 41 Pages
    I too have purchased a large amount of content from other sources.

2) Carrara 8.5
    I agree that everything else is a plug-in for Carrara.

3) Yes
    This will be the first time in forever that I have NOT purchased a new Major figure
    release.

Unfortunately, I feel that DAZ has no real love for Carrara and has little or no interest in advancing the program.

Quite sometime ago I sent a proposal to DAZ_Spooky (that he said he forwarded to the powers that be) that provided a choice of methods whereas DAZ could raise the funds needed to hire developers for the sole purpose of working on and improving Carrara WIHOUT ANY RISK to DAZ or FUNDS directly from DAZ.

I am sure that no one will be surprised to learn that I did NOT receive ANY response of any kind from DAZ.

• JamyJamy Posts: 192
    edited December 1969

1°) 16 pages

2°) CARRARA, CARRARA, CARRARA

3°) Yes

And a question : Should I stop my platinum ?
    because of the very poor Carrara choice.

• IKtorIKtor Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

1º 46 pages

2º Carrara

3º Yes

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

I am stopping platinum and only making minimum purchases( only the Freebys until it runs out no more money for this company.

edited June 2015

Post edited by Headwax on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

I've let my platinum membership roll on and on because I've been too lazy to stop it and it occasionally has come in handy.

However I think I'm going to be cancelling Platinum until such time as Daz begins supporting Carrara again properly.

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,845
    edited June 2015

Jonstark said:

However I think I'm going to be cancelling Platinum until such time as Daz begins supporting Carrara again properly.

Wishful thinking at this point, I believe. It's clear to me that DAZ 3D is moving to industry standards and so many unbiased render engines are coming on to the market that keeping a nonstandard render engine alive is not economically practical anymore. Most of these render engines, like LuxRender are advancing and many of the stuff that can be done with the Carrara render engine will be available in these engines as well. Engines like iRay will get better and better, and they really are easier to get most of one wants. And they are getting fast and faster. LuxRender just got a significant boost for CPU only rendering. I just saw a test and the speed was 22 mins (old code) to 1.49 minutes (new code) per 100 samples, as compared to the older LuxRender code.

Carrara and DAZ Studio are great for scene composition and then we have the option to send that to Octane, LuxRender, and iRay. I think this is the future. This is why we see DAZ 3D working on getting Genesis to work in Carrara and not much else.

We also have options for much better modelers. Again, why continue working on the modeler when you have so many on the market that are keeping up with the standards, and DAZ doesn't have to spend resources on theirs with fewer and fewer customers for them.

Am I crazy or do I make sense?

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/842469/

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/844164/

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/840109/

Post edited by nDelphi on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

ZBrush $795.

Maya: £116 per month

Modo $1799

Lightwave £763

Carrara Pro: $65