Just Because I Can. STUPID THREAD III

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Here in the UK we have marmite, which I gather is not that much different from vegemite, and the slogan they use to advertise it is "Love it or Hate it"

And the latest thing discovered about marmite is that "A Marmite ingredient could help doctors defeat the MRSA superbug, research has suggested."

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breaking-news/offbeat/marmite-ingredient-may-fight-mrsa-16202951.html#ixzz24m8txmbr

How stupid is that

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

nah, I am Australian

Well now you failed to mention that miss 'happy little vegemite' ;-P Though I'm glad I'm not the only Nocturnal forum troll, I swear I dont see the day these daz days

Working night-shift too. One week on and one week off - to spend my time as I wish. One reason I went for this job in the first place. But I miss seeing that yellow glowing thing in the sky. So when I helped my friend these past days, I lapped the rays of the sun like a dog.

Wendy, just go to: Mensa Ozz. And their testing dates are: Testing Dates. Seeing that Adelaide is in South Australia, their testing dates are negotiable. They aren't difficult to talk to, so send them an email if you have questions. ;-)

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

lol makes sense, but you'd be suprised that i know many aussies that agree with you %-P Personally I cant have much in fact very little... The concept of the conspiracy wouldn't suprise me, though I was told by someone at some stage that an american corp bought it and sells it back to us... which is what has happened to pretty much everything we have invented which contradicts the 'conspiracy' for stupidity.

I look at it like the time when America braught Coffee to China lol

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Here in the UK we have marmite, which I gather is not that much different from vegemite, and the slogan they use to advertise it is "Love it or Hate it"

And the latest thing discovered about marmite is that "A Marmite ingredient could help doctors defeat the MRSA superbug, research has suggested."

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breaking-news/offbeat/marmite-ingredient-may-fight-mrsa-16202951.html#ixzz24m8txmbr

How stupid is that

The UK... I thought your hours on Daz didn't make sense with the US time zone! Also, several aussies have told me that it's a 'soft american' version of Vegemite... go figure lol Theres so much international confusions going on lol Every american I've asked hates the stuff and I've known two Canadians that agree lol I think both should share the slogan of marmite!

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

I kinda like both Marmite and Vegemite, although they're not my number one preference for bread-topping.

On the other hand, I come from the country that created mämmi and mustamakkara AND I happen to like both of them, so nothing much can shake me...

edited December 1969

nah, I am Australian

Well now you failed to mention that miss 'happy little vegemite' ;-P Though I'm glad I'm not the only Nocturnal forum troll, I swear I dont see the day these daz days

Working night-shift too. One week on and one week off - to spend my time as I wish. One reason I went for this job in the first place. But I miss seeing that yellow glowing thing in the sky. So when I helped my friend these past days, I lapped the rays of the sun like a dog.

Wendy, just go to: Mensa Ozz. And their testing dates are: Testing Dates. Seeing that Adelaide is in South Australia, their testing dates are negotiable. They aren't difficult to talk to, so send them an email if you have questions. ;-)

Glad you didn't direct that at me lol Im in NSW which is half hour ahead ;-P But If they hold Vampire AA meetings I'll give it a go

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

thx Norse but I really do not care if anyone else thinks of me as intelligent or not, just wish I was surrounded by less dumbasses.
    no need to prove anything, just wondering how you came to do it, thats all.
    I had an IQ test when studying psychology at uni before I dropped out, was 137 which apparently was pretty normal for uni students, it was just one of those optional things one could volenteer for to help someone get ther PHD compiling statistics which btw has to be the most god awful subject ever on the curriculum, quite liked maths in general but that field sucked the joy right out of it.
    will never go back to studying btw, not that I ever really did, I was very slack as a student!!
    learning stuff and studying are two different things, studying is mainly to prove to others you know something!

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    I kinda like both Marmite and Vegemite, although they're not my number one preference for bread-topping.

On the other hand, I come from the country that created mämmi and mustamakkara AND I happen to like both of them, so nothing much can shake me...

Kraft penut butter is the best spread for toast... specially when melted.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2012

chohole said:

How stupid is that

The UK... I thought your hours on Daz didn't make sense with the US time zone! Also, several aussies have told me that it's a 'soft american' version of Vegemite... go figure lol Theres so much international confusions going on lol Every american I've asked hates the stuff and I've known two Canadians that agree lol I think both should share the slogan of marmite!

And of course we Brits would disagree over the soft version of vegemite bit, and also argue we invented the stuff. I am told that Southern hemisphere Marmite is a soft option, compared the to one we get over here. I am one of theose who love it, espcially on hot buttered toast.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited August 2012

That doesn't suprise me lol Gotta love chinese whispers! It is great on hot buttered toast mmmm

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

How stupid is that

I don't know what Marmite tastes like as it's something special that are sold at one or two shops in my country. I think Denmark banned Marmite...

Anyway, it's one of those tourist-thing on the to-do list when one visits. And how foul can it be?

edited December 1969

Denmark banned it?!? lol are you serious?

edited December 1969

thx Norse but I really do not care if anyone else thinks of me as intelligent or not, just wish I was surrounded by less dumbasses.
    no need to prove anything, just wondering how you came to do it, thats all.
    I had an IQ test when studying psychology at uni before I dropped out, was 137 which apparently was pretty normal for uni students, it was just one of those optional things one could volenteer for to help someone get ther PHD compiling statistics which btw has to be the most god awful subject ever on the curriculum, quite liked maths in general but that field sucked the joy right out of it.
    will never go back to studying btw, not that I ever really did, I was very slack as a student!!
    learning stuff and studying are two different things, studying is mainly to prove to others you know something!

Well, it was more like an accident...

Curiosity is sometimes the bane of things.

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:

Kraft penut butter is the best spread for toast... specially when melted.

Now we're talking. :-)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I think I would rather go back over to the land down under and EAT another raw witchetty grub than either 'mites.

The cooked ones do taste kind of peanut buttery. Really, they do.

edited December 1969

Never oily and never dry ;-P

edited August 2012

Denmark banned it?!? lol are you serious?

http://www.periscopepost.com/2011/05/the-truth-behind-the-danish-marmite-ban/

No Marmite on toast allowed in Denmark. Photo credit: Rhino Neal
    Marmite has been a divisive product since its invention in 1902. It was a German scientist who discovered that the waste product from beer production – brewer’s yeast cells – could be concentrated, bottled and eaten. But the dark paste was truly embraced and adopted by the Brits who have loved it, hated it, and confused foreigners with it for more than 100 years.
    News broke earlier this week that the spread had been banned in Denmark . However, Danish authorities were quick to point out that this was not exactly true. In a statement, the Danish Embassy in London explained: “fortified foods with added vitamins, minerals or other substances can not be marketed in Denmark unless approved by Danish food authorities.”

Not authorized. I think there was something similar in Norway that was reversed, but since the taste never took off, it's been on the fringe in my country. I'll taste Marmite and Vegemite to try it out. But I can't promise to like it...

Ohhh, and on another note:

http://mylittlenorway.com/2010/10/a-taste-of-home/

I haven’t had real vegemite on toast since leaving Australia. (Vegemite is a savoury spread made from yeast – Norwegians usually hate it.)

AS I said, I'll try. And believe me, I've tried many things.

Post edited by Norse Graphics on
    edited December 1969

Wow, that's a little concerning... Theres crazy things out there put in foods... I used to work in fresh produce, you'd think that is the safest way to eat, but i remember having to trim lettuces from the bulk boxes and the soapy sud you'd see at the bottom of the wax boxes would really make you wonder!

As discussed earlier in this thread it has very mixed reviews

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

I used to eat a lot of vegemite on toast but have not had it for a decade at least
    never have breakfast!
    have sometimes cooked bacon and egg sandwiches at midnight, after work, about as near to breakfast as I get
    only time I eat cereal is dry occasionally as a tv snack, mostly fruitloops, crunchy nut clusters and nutrigrain
    have made my own peanut butter by putting peanuts in a food processor.
    you can use cashews or macadamia nuts for pure decadance with nuttella on raisin toast!
    (that is NOT breakfast either btw!!)

edited December 1969

I honestly dont tend to have breakfast either... Crunchy nut, Nutrigrain and fruit loops ar sooo good lol Lunch and Dinner are the main meals... prob cause I work nights all the time... but never hungry when I first wake up.

edited December 1969

Bacon and Pizza Shapes are the way to go for snackin too lol Although not very healthy

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,688
    edited December 1969

Drinkin lots of liquids makes me have to pee. It could be water or soda or coffee. I had a frapp from starbucks earlier this afternoon and that was good. Now I have to pee. At least my mum's house has several bathrooms.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,354
    edited December 1969

We have one up-stair and one in the basement. It played major havoc when I had my back surgery. Try climbing stairs when you can barley stand and have to use a walker to get around. Walkers and stairs don't go well together. I finally gave up on it and used my cane and the wives shoulder

edited December 1969

Rented "The Dead" and watched it. It's a ------> Zombie <--------- flick. Pretty bleak like any good zombie-movie should be, and this was a more 'realistic' approach to the theme. Anyway, gives it a 4/5, so it's watchable. Nice score at the end (Imran Ahmad at iTunes). Ohhh, and the trailer:</p>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e6lP7gksV0&

edited December 1969

Rented "The Dead" and watched it. It's a ------> Zombie <--------- flick. Pretty bleak like any good zombie-movie should be, and this was a more 'realistic' approach to the theme. Anyway, gives it a 4/5, so it's watchable. Nice score at the end (Imran Ahmad at iTunes). Ohhh, and the trailer:</p>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e6lP7gksV0&

You gotta have an appocalyptic zombie flick every once in a while... This is comming from someone who's seen all the resident evil films :roll: The first I liked, very fresh for its time, the seccond was tolleratable, Third was pretty cool... The fouth-Don't even go there.

Incidently, I've made a zombie outbreak plan... it involves taking over a police station - since in Aus the gun laws are so strict and it's the only likely place to find guns... seccond If I survive long enough, I'll go to my old worplace the supermarket... Shoot my old store manager (Who of couse would be a zombie :coolgrin: Then move all the long life food into the roofing, which has only one way into it and the ladder could easilly be removed.

Notice I didn't mention any one with me, that's because it's always the friends of survivors that bite and infect you.

edited December 1969

I'm well prepared for a zombie attach. I'm an avid hunter so I have no shortage of guns along with a nice high power rifle that can reach out and touch someone from 400 yards away. I also load my own ammo so I have a stock pile of that to. Just give me and elevated position and a lawn chair. Oh and don't forget the beer.

edited December 1969

The first Resident Evil-movie was the best of them all. Wish they'd stick closer to the games, though.

"The Walking Dead" is pretty good, though it's mixing a bit of reality-show into it. In a 'real' outbreak, infighting wouldn't exist. What would be the point?

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

I personally feel that Silent Hill movie was one of the better "game to movie" treatments.

It is also one of those movies that make me pause at a certain point, and ask myself "Do I really want to continue watching this, or am I destined to stay up all night AGAIN as a result of it actually managing to terrify the dickens out of me".

edited December 1969

We bought all the resident evil's and we have silent hill. Great movies

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    I'm well prepared for a zombie attach. I'm an avid hunter so I have no shortage of guns along with a nice high power rifle that can reach out and touch someone from 400 yards away. I also load my own ammo so I have a stock pile of that to. Just give me and elevated position and a lawn chair. Oh and don't forget the beer.

LOL yes, If you were to join me at Coles Supermarket, there is a liquor Land in there... Every thing is there... Minus guns of course, but there is machetes in produce.

Yes the first R.E. was the best, they've tottally lost me on the fourth tho

This discussion has been closed.