June 2015 New User Contest - Scenes and Landscapes [WIP Thread]

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,358
    edited December 1969

I'm very irritated. Made some mountains in Bryce, which looked fine. Then exported them to Daz. They did export, I could render them, but ...
    They look totally different! All sleek and round! What did I do wrong?

As evil said, you can turn off smoothing which looks like whats happening

• wohaverwohaver Posts: 36
    edited December 1969

Okay... here is my latest iteration (after suggested edits)

LSENTRY3.jpg
    1500 x 927 - 836K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,358
    edited June 2015

Might want to add a slight amount of refract to it to offset the reflections on the water. Also add a bump or displacement map to the water.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • pestaff002peterpestaff002peter Posts: 1
    edited June 2015

This build makes me happy,because i got some new thing bodysuit

Post edited by pestaff002peter on
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

wohaver said:

One thing to always do is research the kind of image you're doing for how things look in the real world. When you have a body of water, it is very seldom that the water's surface isn't disturbed by the movement of the water, the weather/wind and other factors to create a roughness. Depending on the level of disturbance, there is still a reflection, but it will become more distorted as the surface is broken up. You can see varying degrees in these photos.

http://www.thewallpapers.org/photo/21196/San_Francisco_Cityscape.jpg

http://ak5.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/2567732/preview/stock-footage-downtown-cityscape-of-miami-florida-at-dawn-with-building-reflection-on-water.jpg

• Babalar1Babalar1 Posts: 71
    edited June 2015

@ Fishtales; I fixed the shadow problem most likely culprit was the ibl and sunlight shadows were both turned on and must have conflicted somehow. i noticed it when I was making a screen capture of the ibl to show you and there it was in front of me. But actually the render I think looks better without cast shadows so I left it as it is.

@Dollygirl; Thanks for your nice comments. I like how your picture's coming out. It's a cool fantasy look.

Moved a few things around and placed a figure on the right for perspective which will be colored at a later date. Also cropped in the side to put more focus where it should be. Latest monster to conquer is the water effects which this current render I mixed the choppiness up a bit with postwork to see how it will look but now I have to see if I can get the same or better look via bryce.

Canyon_river_4a_June_17.jpg
    912 x 400 - 518K
    Post edited by Babalar1 on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited June 2015

robborfla1

I seldom use the ibl shadows as they tend to increase the render times. I use the ibl distance/influence slider, I can't remember whatit is called, with the sun turned off to set the amount of the image isgetting the light. I useit in conjunctiin with the sliderabove it to set the brightness. Then turn sun back on to see if it needs more or less adjustment. Setting thisalso makes some textures look a lot better.

The only thing i moved between these two renders was the slider in ibl.

sunset-rays-001.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 282K
    sunset-rays-002.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 382K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
    edited December 1969

wohaver said:

One thing to always do is research the kind of image you're doing for how things look in the real world. When you have a body of water, it is very seldom that the water's surface isn't disturbed by the movement of the water, the weather/wind and other factors to create a roughness. Depending on the level of disturbance, there is still a reflection, but it will become more distorted as the surface is broken up. You can see varying degrees in these photos.

http://ak5.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/2567732/preview/stock-footage-downtown-cityscape-of-miami-florida-at-dawn-with-building-reflection-on-water.jpg

In this one, I went in to the files and edited the bump map for the water - the objective being to try to achieve a more realistic reflection in the water. While I don't have a lot of experience doing this - I thought it came out okay. Let me know your thoughts.

zzz.jpg
    1500 x 927 - 998K
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646
    edited December 1969

Limun said:
    I barely rotate, move, increases scene ... everithing is so dark ... is it because of my vram or cpu ..??
    i have i3, 8gb ram and gtx680 2gb
    anyway i post my first render

What software are you using Limun? Looks like Bryce. I can talk to the lighting issue maybe someone else can do that for you. I will say that I would randomize the position of your trees. That is if it is not an orchard. You render looks fine on my calibrated monitor.
    edited December 1969

wohaver said:
    wohaver said:

In this one, I went in to the files and edited the bump map for the water - the objective being to try to achieve a more realistic reflection in the water. While I don't have a lot of experience doing this - I thought it came out okay. Let me know your thoughts.

wohaver, Frank told you that refraction was needed for the water to look more realistic. To do that go to the water surface and look for the refraction parameter. You want to set refraction strength to 100% and the refraction number to 1.3330. Here is a link to a table with refraction numbers of various elements and compounds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_refractive_indices

• LimunLimun Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:

What software are you using Limun? Looks like Bryce. I can talk to the lighting issue maybe someone else can do that for you. I will say that I would randomize the position of your trees. That is if it is not an orchard. You render looks fine on my calibrated monitor.

i use daz4.8
    yes i would randomize the position of trees too but i have to find a way because if i do something ( ex.little zoom of scene) i wait 3, 4 seconds ...i dunno why is so slow
    Thanks

edited December 1969

Limun said:
    Dollygirl said:

i use daz4.8
    yes i would randomize the position of trees too but i have to find a way because if i do something ( ex.little zoom of scene) i wait 3, 4 seconds ...i dunno why is so slow
    Thanks
    It is because your scene is big in the number of bits. Trees like you have in your scene have transparency maps for the branches, leaves or needles. They require lots of computations to rerender the view screen every time you move the camera or an object in the scene. To make it go faster make parts of the scene that are not being working on invisible by clicking on the little eye that is to the left of each object or figure on the scene tab. Re-rendering with less objects will go faster. I take it that you are using instancing in Studio. If so you only have to make the object that you made the instances from invisible. Doing that will make all of the instances disappear in the viewport.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    edited December 1969

Wow, everybody has been really busy, and it already forimg into beautiful scenes.

ok Posimo's terrain was not willing to cooperate with me, I will try another time. In the meatime to keep up with the leaning experience I took three other terrains from my library and mixed them together. I will later come back to my rivulet in the mountains, but here is something for me to follw up for knowlege.

So basically three terrains increased on the y scale, some more some less and a skydome.
    next steps I will add greenery, lights and that haze effect for the distance.

I could imagine a wagon track or something similar on their way to greener pastures, I will have a look what my library has in stake.

landscape2.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 764K
    edited December 1969

Linwelly said:
    Wow, everybody has been really busy, and it already forimg into beautiful scenes.

ok Posimo's terrain was not willing to cooperate with me, I will try another time. In the meatime to keep up with the leaning experience I took three other terrains from my library and mixed them together. I will later come back to my rivulet in the mountains, but here is something for me to follw up for knowlege.

So basically three terrains increased on the y scale, some more some less and a skydome.
    next steps I will add greenery, lights and that haze effect for the distance.

I could imagine a wagon track or something similar on their way to greener pastures, I will have a look what my library has in stake.

Good start Linwelly. Nice balance between the left and right sides and that you plan on putting a little something in to give a sense of scale and interest.

• LimunLimun Posts: 182
    edited June 2015

Dollygirl said:

.... clicking on the little eye that is to the left of each object or figure on the scene tab. Re-rendering with less objects will go faster. I take it that you are using instancing in Studio. If so you only have to make the object that you made the instances from invisible. Doing that will make all of the instances disappear in the viewport.

ohh thanks i didnt know that ...
    i will try it for sure

and yes i use instances

Post edited by Limun on
  • cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409
    edited December 1969

@Linwelly:
    Yes, these mountains are really looking huge. I just find they could use a bit of sunshine.

edited December 1969

Solved the problem with the ugly mountains. Direct export from Bryce to DAZ always resulted in ugliness, no matter what I tried. So I exported all three mountain parts from Bryce as obj, imported them in DAZ.
    In DAZ, these objs appeared really tiny, more ore less the size of Genesis people shoes, but I could scale them, and, as you can see, the scaled version doesn't look too bad.
    Now, is there a way, either in Bryce, Daz or Hexagon (because that are the programs I own), where I can fuse these three different mountains to one object? I know I can group them, but it would be much easier if I would be able to fuse them somehow.
    At the moment they are just stacked into each other.

dragons-teeth-daz2.jpg
    937 x 686 - 104K
    edited December 1969

Solved the problem with the ugly mountains. Direct export from Bryce to DAZ always resulted in ugliness, no matter what I tried. So I exported all three mountain parts from Bryce as obj, imported them in DAZ.
    In DAZ, these objs appeared really tiny, more ore less the size of Genesis people shoes, but I could scale them, and, as you can see, the scaled version doesn't look too bad.
    Now, is there a way, either in Bryce, Daz or Hexagon (because that are the programs I own), where I can fuse these three different mountains to one object? I know I can group them, but it would be much easier if I would be able to fuse them somehow.
    At the moment they are just stacked into each other.

In your scene only have the three terrains. No lights or cameras. Go to the File->Export. Everything that is in the scene will become one object. If you have scaled the mountains to the size you want to use then select DAZ Studio format in the To: drop down list in the OBJ Export Options window. Click on Accept. When you import the mountains again you select DAZ format and they will come in at the position and scale you had them in when you exported them.

edited June 2015

@Dollygirl:
    Nope. Sadly, it doesn't. If the mountains aren't grouped, it always exports just one mesh. If they are grouped, the export function is grey and doesn't work at all.
    No groundplate, no background, so sky, no lighting or camera, as far as I can see. But no luck with my mountain range.

Edit:
    If I don't group them and just select them all, I can export, but still I get one export after the other, each mesh get's its extra export.

Post edited by cherpenbeck on
    edited June 2015

@Dollygirl:
    Nope. Sadly, it doesn't. If the mountains aren't grouped, it always exports just one mesh. If they are grouped, the export function is grey and doesn't work at all.
    No groundplate, no background, so sky, no lighting or camera, as far as I can see. But no luck with my mountain range.

You are in DAZ Studio correct? I just did it with a piece of clothing for Victoria and a back drop. no grouping. Came in just fine.
    I also imported from Bryce two terrains and then exported that worked fine too. So can you tell me what your process is maybe we can figure out where things are going south.

Post edited by DollyGirl on
    edited December 1969

I work with Bryce 7.1 and DAZ4.8.
    As you can see, the moment I try the whole group, export doesn't work.
    If I don't group, and select nothing, Export doesn't work either.
    If I select, no matter how many objects, I can export, but only one after another.

Bryce2.jpg
    898 x 712 - 245K
    Bryce.jpg
    973 x 733 - 295K
    edited December 1969

Thanks for trying to help, Dollygirl. Sorry I can't stay any longer tonight, it's past one o' clock in the morning, and I do have to work tomorrow, so it's shutdown-time for my PC. Will be back in some hours, I think.

edited June 2015

Okay I understand what you are trying to do. My instructions were for DAZ Studio they will not work for the current workflow you are showing me. So you have to do it a different way. My preference is to select each of the terrains and export them from Bryce as wavefront (test Export) format. You will lose the positions but in Studio you can reposition them. Doing this keeps the spikes and scale of the terrain. Do that for each of the terrains. Bring them into Studio and place them in your scene the way you want them and then do what I said to do previously. Should work for you then. I was wrong about position they come into the same spot as they were in Bryce. Just remember to select Bryce as the from software when importing.

Post edited by DollyGirl on
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    wohaver said:
    wohaver said:

wohaver, Frank told you that refraction was needed for the water to look more realistic. To do that go to the water surface and look for the refraction parameter. You want to set refraction strength to 100% and the refraction number to 1.3330. Here is a link to a table with refraction numbers of various elements and compounds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_refractive_indices

Well = after numerous failed attempts - I finally have something additional to post here. Any thoughts?

zzzv4.jpg
    1200 x 742 - 907K
    edited December 1969

Thanks for trying to help, Dollygirl. Sorry I can't stay any longer tonight, it's past one o' clock in the morning, and I do have to work tomorrow, so it's shutdown-time for my PC. Will be back in some hours, I think.

Once you select all the terrains group them with the 'G' in the small pop up menu that appears; save this in the content menu as a terrain; delete the original from the scene and then load the saved one and see if that works..

• PorsimoPorsimo Posts: 359
    edited December 1969

Linwelly said:

Hi Linwelly,

Sorry for the trouble the pack is causing, the way it's packed is a bit tricky. You need to download all the .rar -files as they contain the textures. They form a single spanned archive, so when extracting, extract only the first .rar -file. Extracting more than one may cause problems.

The most reliable program for extracting .rars is the WinRAR which has a free evaluation period. You can download it from here: http://rarlabs.com/download.htm

All textures are jpgs, only the thumbnails are in png format.

Hope this helps! :)

edited June 2015

@fishtales:
    Grouping with G works, but then I'm not able to save it as a terrrain, just as another Bryce File with three grouped objects.

Edith:
    Bryce help says: Select an object or group to export. If the group contains a Bryce primitive (non-converted), it will not export.
    What kind of non-converted Bryce primitive could my group contain? Or are mountain meshes such non-converted primitives?

Of course there still is the camera. But I can't delete it, it seems. And I don't thinkl a camera is a Bryce primitive.

No groundplate, deleted that already.

And it's always the same:
    ungrouped- can export, but I get three different objs
    grouped - can't export

Material editor, even in grouped form, shows me one terrain, always, not all three of them

Looks like I'll have to take the terrain fractal pictures to en external picture editor, merge them to one, and use them as the picture for a new terrain (which then would loose details, I think, as I have to cramm three fractals in the space of one).

Post edited by cherpenbeck on
    edited December 1969

I'm not near my computer ATM so I am trying to do this by memory :-)

What about loading the grouped terrains into the Terrain editor. I can't remember if you can save the new combined terrain from there as a new terrain.

This should all become easier when I fly home on Saturday and can try things out first before suggesting them :)

• h_habashh_habash Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

Greeting everyone,

I've been trying several software in the past days to create some terrains scene, as you can see below I'm posting one best rendered scene I've made by each one:

1- DAZ Studio 4.8

2- Vue

3- Bryce 7.1

4- Terragen 3.2 "Demo" I've found this software gives great render, the link to the software site is http://www.planetside.co.uk/ , I hope it gives someone additional tool to use.

Terrain4.jpg
    800 x 450 - 111K
    Terrain2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 60K
    GreenyIsland1.jpg
    1152 x 768 - 657K
    Lndscape1_-_Test.jpg
    316 x 178 - 10K
    HiddnePlace.jpg
    1306 x 576 - 437K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    edited December 1969

Porsimo said:
    Linwelly said:

Hi Linwelly,

Sorry for the trouble the pack is causing, the way it's packed is a bit tricky. You need to download all the .rar -files as they contain the textures. They form a single spanned archive, so when extracting, extract only the first .rar -file. Extracting more than one may cause problems.

The most reliable program for extracting .rars is the WinRAR which has a free evaluation period. You can download it from here: http://rarlabs.com/download.htm

All textures are jpgs, only the thumbnails are in png format.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for the help Porsimo I will try as soon as I got some more time, I guess my mistake was somewhere with the unpacking