June 2015 New User Contest - Scenes and Landscapes [WIP Thread]

Comments

• kathrynlochkathrynloch Posts: 378
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:

I like what you have done with the castle lights and the play of light on the water. I agree with you this picture is better and you can see more of the details because of it. If you can and want to I would maybe add more of the tree to the lower left corner below the rocks of the picture. I think that would balance out the foreground and act as a frame for the castle.

Thanks Dollygirl!

hehe - me and that tree went to war earlier it was really funny - looks like it's time for round two.

I'm glad you like the water - I really went overboard with the lights at first.

Now the grass is bugging me. I'm wondering if I should add more variations in color - some yellow patches or maybe some tiny white flowers. It depends one what I can find in the textures and what I can edit. But on the other hand, I don't want to poke at it too much and overwork it. I want to keep it soft and quite on the grass because I'd rather have the attention on the castle and the water.

• wohaverwohaver Posts: 36
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    wohaver said:
    Dollygirl said:
    thank you evilproducer for the tips on camera positions. Very insightful stuff. I like your idea for wohaver as well. Although I do so love what wohaver has done with that water, beautiful.

WOW!! I got some really great feedback from both evilproducer and Dollygirl, as well as graphic examples and links. I have made some adjustments to my camera settings (angle, DoF, and Fstop). I am so pleased with how this image is developing... so I can't wait to see where we go from here.

Thank you bot very much!!

Your welcome wohaver. I am glad that the little tuts have been of help. Yes I see improvement too. I think the next thing to think about is how to break up the shore a bit. The line between water and the shore line is very straight and produces a sense of harshness to the image. I would go and see if I had anything that could be used as a beach and if I had nothing then I would opt to put some tropical plants, such as palm trees, or lush bushes. I would add them in clumps and maybe just three clumps at that. I would also try using rocks to break up the line. Always remember odd numbers, like using 3 clumps, or 5 clumps, are better and more harmonious then using even numbers.

I've added a sandy coastline (with a slight taper side-to-side0. I did look at adding some palms, bushes or rocks - but when the are scaled to the cityscape - they are nearly invisible and undistinguishable. I also added a 15% haze to the cityscape and sky. This really accentuates the foreground boaters. I think we are nearing completion... that is - I'm at a loss for additional editing direction.

Here it is now. Any thoughts??

LSEntry4.png
    1500 x 927 - 2M
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    ..snip

Now for the scene. I am using a skydome from glaseye. But UberEnvironment2 comes with a skydome as well so there are many options. I like glaseye because he has also created matching UE2 presets for his dome and they are located in his gallery on Sharecg as well. So then I added three terrains. The big one is a freebie called Morphing Ground[/ur] by Porsimo. ..snip

Dollygirl, I tried to get that freebie terrain to work. however I when I try to apply a certain morph (eg Cliffs) it asks me to locate the jpg file.
    I went to look into the folder but all the images seem to be png. Did I mess up somewhere or does it need me to convert all those to jpg format?
    was confused about where some of those downloaded filed have to go even after studying the readme (.rar files, the ones which are indicated as textures I think were the lesser problem, others were more obscure)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

If Studio and Bryce can render out depth render passes, those can be great for adding a DOF or even haze in an image editor.

Using this Kong image as an example, and exaggerating the effect some what, you can see what I'm talking about.

The first image is the raw render in PS. The second image is the depth pass, which Carrara sticks under the Channels tab in PS if you choose embed the layer passes.

What I did was to duplicate my background layer and use that to create a layer mask. I then copied and pasted the depth pass from the Channels tab into the layer mask layer. I had to invert the depth pass colors, so that dark areas of the image became light, and light areas became dark. I then created a new layer and sandwiched it between the layer mask and the background layer. I chose the clouds filter and filled the layer with clouds.

The last image is after all the postwork was done to it.

Kong_Final.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Picture_6.png
    1001 x 780 - 1M
    Picture_7.png
    207 x 93 - 13K
    Picture_4.png
    1003 x 782 - 371K
    Picture_3.png
    998 x 780 - 1M
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646
    edited December 1969

Linwelly said:
    Dollygirl said:
    ..snip

Now for the scene. I am using a skydome from glaseye. But UberEnvironment2 comes with a skydome as well so there are many options. I like glaseye because he has also created matching UE2 presets for his dome and they are located in his gallery on Sharecg as well. So then I added three terrains. The big one is a freebie called Morphing Ground[/ur] by Porsimo. ..snip

Dollygirl, I tried to get that freebie terrain to work. however I when I try to apply a certain morph (eg Cliffs) it asks me to locate the jpg file.
    I went to look into the folder but all the images seem to be png. Did I mess up somewhere or does it need me to convert all those to jpg format?
    was confused about where some of those downloaded filed have to go even after studying the readme (.rar files, the ones which are indicated as textures I think were the lesser problem, others were more obscure)

So by your initial statement you have placed your textures in the directory Porsimo has told you to here: Runtime/Textures/Porsimo/pmg2
    That is where you want to go to find the jpg.
    If DAZ can't find an image file when you click on the find it will sometimes default to the directory where the mat pose is located. That is why you are only seeing .pngs they are the thumb images that you see in your content directory. I down loaded the files again to see what may be causing the issue and I noticed that the grass and cliff images are corrupted. The grass texture is unrecoverable but the cliff one you can pull into your 2D software and resave the file and correct the issue. I also noticed that if I had clicked on the mat pose file before I fixed the cliff texture file that DAZ loaded the bad file and would not let me point to the corrected file. I had to start with a new scene and then load the terrain again and then apply the mat pose using the corrected texture image.

Yes there are several directory structures that a newbie needs to learn and learn well, Poser, DAZ Studio 3 and DAZ Studio 4.x. If you can get your head around where stuff is located it will make it a lot easier to troubleshoot freebies. They do not go through the stringent quality control that the bought content does. Maybe we should have a little discussion about directory structures. I know that I learned the structures by getting a bit of information here and more there and so forth. Not a good way to learn and it takes a long time.

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:

I like what you have done with the castle lights and the play of light on the water. I agree with you this picture is better and you can see more of the details because of it. If you can and want to I would maybe add more of the tree to the lower left corner below the rocks of the picture. I think that would balance out the foreground and act as a frame for the castle.

Thanks Dollygirl!

hehe - me and that tree went to war earlier it was really funny - looks like it's time for round two.

I'm glad you like the water - I really went overboard with the lights at first.

Now the grass is bugging me. I'm wondering if I should add more variations in color - some yellow patches or maybe some tiny white flowers. It depends one what I can find in the textures and what I can edit. But on the other hand, I don't want to poke at it too much and overwork it. I want to keep it soft and quite on the grass because I'd rather have the attention on the castle and the water.

I would suggest that you just work on that tree. I think that when you get that situated you will find that the grass is just fine. The link is to a Victorian post card that demonstrates the idea I am thinking about. It is done with flowers but I have seen postcards where tree branches were used quite effectively. Hope this helps. http://olddesignshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/OldDesignShop_LoveToMotherPC.jpg[/url

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    Linwelly said:
    Dollygirl said:
    ..snip

So by your initial statement you have placed your textures in the directory Porsimo has told you to here: Runtime/Textures/Porsimo/pmg2
    If DAZ can't find an image file when you click on the find it will sometimes default to the directory where the mat pose is located. That is why you are only seeing .pngs they are the thumb images that you see in your content directory. I down loaded the files again to see what may be causing the issue and I noticed that the grass and cliff images are corrupted. The grass texture is unrecoverable but the cliff one you can pull into your 2D software and resave the file and correct the issue. I also noticed that if I had clicked on the mat pose file before I fixed the cliff texture file that DAZ loaded the bad file and would not let me point to the corrected file. I had to start with a new scene and then load the terrain again and then apply the mat pose using the corrected texture image.

Yes there are several directory structures that a newbie needs to learn and learn well, Poser, DAZ Studio 3 and DAZ Studio 4.x. If you can get your head around where stuff is located it will make it a lot easier to troubleshoot freebies. They do not go through the stringent quality control that the bought content does. Maybe we should have a little discussion about directory structures. I know that I learned the structures by getting a bit of information here and more there and so forth. Not a good way to learn and it takes a long time.

Hehe, so I picked exactly the one that got its problems, I will try with the other ones an see If those find the jpgs or if i can make it find them.
    Generally I would appreciate a topic on directory structures. I found some info as you said here an there and with most freebies I find the place it has to go, but especially when it comes to the older ones / those for poser, there seems to be a different logic and I' get really insecure with some file names (.rar is a good example i never heard before :red:)

I will leave a note when i know if I get it to work,...or not, thanks for the support.

edited December 1969

wohaver said:

I've added a sandy coastline (with a slight taper side-to-side0. I did look at adding some palms, bushes or rocks - but when the are scaled to the cityscape - they are nearly invisible and undistinguishable. I also added a 15% haze to the cityscape and sky. This really accentuates the foreground boaters. I think we are nearing completion... that is - I'm at a loss for additional editing direction.

I like your beach better. I understand your concern about insufficient details when dealing with grand scale but your viewer's eye is a wondrous thing and just because it looks like a blob of green your viewer will assume it is palm trees on a sunny Florida beach. Just one would be good. That is a long line across your image.

edited December 1969

If Studio and Bryce can render out depth render passes, those can be great for adding a DOF or even haze in an image editor.

Using this Kong image as an example, and exaggerating the effect some what, you can see what I'm talking about.

The first image is the raw render in PS. The second image is the depth pass, which Carrara sticks under the Channels tab in PS if you choose embed the layer passes.

What I did was to duplicate my background layer and use that to create a layer mask. I then copied and pasted the depth pass from the Channels tab into the layer mask layer. I had to invert the depth pass colors, so that dark areas of the image became light, and light areas became dark. I then created a new layer and sandwiched it between the layer mask and the background layer. I chose the clouds filter and filled the layer with clouds.

The last image is after all the postwork was done to it.

Oh nice evilproducer. Age of Armour's camera package has a depth camera included. May have to try this out.

• LyamLyam Posts: 137
    edited June 2015

Ok, I corrected the glaring lights problem a little in Daz. And I tried add some depth with the background cliffs as suggested with de-saturation and a slight blur. Does anyone know how to do a depth pass in Daz3d like Evil's Kong picture above that he did in Cararra? I think I've seen it done i Daz before, but I don't have a clue how it's done.

Bridgeway-to-Weird.jpg
    1500 x 808 - 680K
    Post edited by Lyam on
    edited December 1969

lyam04 said:
    Ok, I corrected the glaring lights problem a little in Daz. And I tried add some depth with the background cliffs as suggested with de-saturation and a slight blur. Does anyone know how to do a depth pass in Daz3d like Evil's Kong picture above that he did in Cararra? I think I've seen it done i Daz before, but I don't have a clue how it's done.

Oh nicely done lyam04. I feel the harmony now. I have not completely researched this path but maybe you can see if it works and report back. Here is the thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/20105/.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

lyam04 said:

You may get some tips from this WIP thread from last year, when we focused on DOF http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/37806/

edited December 1969

lyam04 said:

Dollygirl mentioned a depth camera by AoA. Maybe that's the way to go?

I love the faces on the mountains by the way. I think reducing the glare helped, because I hadn't noticed them before.

edited December 1969

wohaver said:
    Dollygirl said:
    wohaver said:
    Dollygirl said:
    thank you evilproducer for the tips on camera positions. Very insightful stuff. I like your idea for wohaver as well. Although I do so love what wohaver has done with that water, beautiful.

WOW!! I got some really great feedback from both evilproducer and Dollygirl, as well as graphic examples and links. I have made some adjustments to my camera settings (angle, DoF, and Fstop). I am so pleased with how this image is developing... so I can't wait to see where we go from here.

Your welcome wohaver. I am glad that the little tuts have been of help. Yes I see improvement too. I think the next thing to think about is how to break up the shore a bit. The line between water and the shore line is very straight and produces a sense of harshness to the image. I would go and see if I had anything that could be used as a beach and if I had nothing then I would opt to put some tropical plants, such as palm trees, or lush bushes. I would add them in clumps and maybe just three clumps at that. I would also try using rocks to break up the line. Always remember odd numbers, like using 3 clumps, or 5 clumps, are better and more harmonious then using even numbers.

I like the addition of the beach. The camera angle is also much better at suggesting the scale of the scene. I do like the idea of adding trees. Remember, there are some types of trees that get quite tall. I've even seen palm trees reaching thirty feet, so that would be like three stories in relation to the buildings.

edited December 1969

wohaver said:
    Dollygirl said:
    wohaver said:
    Dollygirl said:

I like the addition of the beach. The camera angle is also much better at suggesting the scale of the scene. I do like the idea of adding trees. Remember, there are some types of trees that get quite tall. I've even seen palm trees reaching thirty feet, so that would be like three stories in relation to the buildings.
    Oh yes I have three of them in my yard. They might even be 4 stories tall now.

edited December 1969

No palm trees in my neck of the woods I'm afraid. I have to try and remember them from vacations to Florida in my youth. If you need cows or cheese though, I can probably set you up. ;-)

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    wohaver said:

I like your beach better. I understand your concern about insufficient details when dealing with grand scale but your viewer's eye is a wondrous thing and just because it looks like a blob of green your viewer will assume it is palm trees on a sunny Florida beach. Just one would be good. That is a long line across your image.

Hey Dollygirl, I added 5 palm trees to the central third of the beach. I scaled them at at 1.5 to make them more easily identifiable. While they're not overly tall... the trunks are still quite thin... but not too bad.

LSFinal1.jpg
    1500 x 927 - 816K
    edited December 1969

wohaver said:
    Dollygirl said:
    wohaver said:

Hey Dollygirl, I added 5 palm trees to the central third of the beach. I scaled them at at 1.5 to make them more easily identifiable. While they're not overly tall... the trunks are still quite thin... but not too bad.

Tall thin palms here are quite common. The city I live in is know for its palm tree. So they are quite old, late 1800 to early 1900. The Mexican Palms can get 60ft tall and only have a diameter of 18". So what we are seeing on your beach is what we see here. I would put some babies clumped around the adults. I think your placement is good and even now has added more interest to your image.

• LimunLimun Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

I barely rotate, move, increases scene ... everithing is so dark ... is it because of my vram or cpu ..??
    i have i3, 8gb ram and gtx680 2gb
    anyway i post my first render

cont01.jpg
    1999 x 750 - 1M
  • cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409
    edited December 1969

@Limun: Thats an impressive landscape, with this point of view.

@wohaver: Your beach would look better if populated. With this scale you don't need real figures. Just try one of the primitives Daz offers and make stick people and stick people and blob cars. All you need to see are little, somehow colored, dark dots (which don#t need much render time). And voilà- your town is alive.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 1969

@wohaver

Possibly a small white line at the junction between beach and sea to simulate surf?

edited June 2015

My next try at creating a convincing canyon. The water still doesn't get the right color. These pre-formed water structures in Bryce look either to squiggly for a big river or lake-like. Deep texture editor confuses me still.

Edit:
    Can't use fog and haze, this is desert area, and if I apply haze, it looks strange.

canyon4.jpg
    1050 x 650 - 689K
    Post edited by cherpenbeck on
    edited December 1969

Linwelly said:
    Dollygirl said:
    Linwelly said:
    Dollygirl said:
    ..snip

Hehe, so I picked exactly the one that got its problems, I will try with the other ones an see If those find the jpgs or if i can make it find them.
    Generally I would appreciate a topic on directory structures. I found some info as you said here an there and with most freebies I find the place it has to go, but especially when it comes to the older ones / those for poser, there seems to be a different logic and I' get really insecure with some file names (.rar is a good example i never heard before :red:)

I will leave a note when i know if I get it to work,...or not, thanks for the support.

So obviously no, I don't find the files where they are supposed to be. I tried with directing to the texture folder but no, its not there. I will try downloading again and study closely to sort that out. If I understood correctly all that I download on that freeby is for the Poser directory?

edited December 1969

@ Dollygirl: 60 feet tall with an 18" trunk and 200 years old... that's amazing. Well, you've inspired me. I have gone "palm tree crazy" and added so many that I will no doubt dream about the tropics.

@ Fishtales: I like the white line idea. I modified it to include 2 crests at the shore line.

@ Cherpenbeck: I don't know how to get stick people... I looked at the primitives in Daz, but couldn't find any. Further help please.

Anyway, THANK YOU to each for helping me... here is the most recent output. I cant wait to see where we go from here.

LSEntry2.jpg
    1500 x 927 - 819K
    edited June 2015

Stick people is something you make yourself ...
    Take the primitives you can generate with DAZ studio, 3 cubes, one globe, give them a decent dark color (as people, looked at from afar, mostly look like dark dots), and these primitive forms look like people if put far away in your landscape or shrink to a small size.
    A car could be made by 4 globes, one cube above them, and a smaller cube or another globe on top. That works as long as you don't need any details.
    You could even make them a bit more sophisticated.

stick.jpg
    1167 x 720 - 123K
    edited December 1969

wohaver said:
    @ Dollygirl: 60 feet tall with an 18" trunk and 200 years old... that's amazing. Well, you've inspired me. I have gone "palm tree crazy" and added so many that I will no doubt dream about the tropics.

@ Fishtales: I like the white line idea. I modified it to include 2 crests at the shore line.

@ Cherpenbeck: I don't know how to get stick people... I looked at the primitives in Daz, but couldn't find any. Further help please.

Anyway, THANK YOU to each for helping me... here is the most recent output. I cant wait to see where we go from here.

I think I would put some yellow in your lights because of the sunset in the background. You could go towards the orange side but keep the colors in the pastel range. That means not very saturated just a tinges of color. And I would check where your distant light is pointing as compared with your background image with the sun setting behind your buildings and the light hitting the front of the people. Of course you could just say the world is a binary system and the two directions make perfect sense.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 1969

That looks better but I think you will still need the white surf on the beach where the waves will break.

edited June 2015

I'm very irritated. Made some mountains in Bryce, which looked fine. Then exported them to Daz. They did export, I could render them, but ...
    They look totally different! All sleek and round! What did I do wrong?

dragons-teeth-daz.jpg
    842 x 743 - 170K
    drachenberge.jpg
    1754 x 887 - 187K
    edited December 1969

I'm very irritated. Made some mountains in Bryce, which looked fine. Then exported them to Daz. They did export, I could render them, but ...
    They look totally different! All sleek and round! What did I do wrong?

They are probably coming in as .obj files, correct? That means they're a vertex object and maybe Studio is applying some kind of smoothing? I don't use Studio, so I'm not sure.

Might also be some kind of export option in Bryce, such as maybe exporting a lower resolution terrain object?

edited December 1969

Limun said:
    I barely rotate, move, increases scene ... everithing is so dark ... is it because of my vram or cpu ..??
    i have i3, 8gb ram and gtx680 2gb
    anyway i post my first render

Looks like a shadow to me. What's behind the camera?