• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

There must be something in the water in France,

It's the wine, my friend ! ;-)

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

There must be something in the water in France,

It's the wine, my friend ! ;-)

Aha! In that case, I'll come with my own glass (and an extra one, just in case)!

So I spent some time today with Guerrilla. Verdict? I like it. It does take some time assigning shaders with nodes (first time doing that for me in a renderer) but I guess it should get faster when one gets used to it. This render took 19minutes, 1280 x 720 size set to render to 36 samples. Used a HDRI background. The teapot shipped with Guerrilla, but Probe is the friendly neighbourhood bot I built in Form Z (textured all over again in Guerrilla). What I like about Guerrilla apart from being free? Nice bright GI renders for less time than it takes in Carrara using full GI with skylight. Having been able to grasp its basic workings in one day, the learning curve seems okay. Draw back for a Carrara workflow? The only way to get your scene into Guerilla is by exporting an Obj file from Carrara. This works for stills but not for animation. Guerilla as adopted the Alembic format as its primary solution for acccepting animations from other apps, and unfortunately, Carrara does not export in that format currently. If anyone has ideas on how to get around this for animations, I'm all ears. If one had the Alembic exporter plugin for Daz Studio though, it might be possible to export to Alembic via Daz Studio, not sure how that works however.

B.png
    1280 x 720 - 1017K
  • 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited December 1969

Guerilla Render supports ASCII, binary and compressed RIB.

Can you try to export via Daz Studio?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,786
    edited December 1969

I have the DS alembic exporter so downloaded this to try too oneday
    it does HD morphs to Octane standalone but animations have to be under 150-200 frames or DS throws an error, be interesting to see how Guerilla renders them.
    OR4C does alembic camera export am not sure if anything else, I combined my DS Dragon 2 HD morphs abc animation with a carrara ocs export in the Octane standalone but could only animate dragon or the camera not both, an octane limitation that guerrilla should not have.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

-_Milo_- said:
    Natron is an open-source • crossplatform nodal • compositing software

https://natron.inria.fr/ The sample with source looks good

Well, well, I can attest to the fact that Natron is awesome. I spent some time evaluating it yesterday. I watched a couple of demos and just one tutorial video, then I launched the software and poked through everything, and was pleasantly surprised at how intuitive it was compared to Fusion which took me quite some effort and lots of videos to get a hang of it. Now, to be fair, perhaps having broken in on how node compositing works with the help of fusion, I was simply transferring knowledge from Fusion to Natron, all the same, I found myself liking the way Natron's 'logic' seems to make it more straight forward figuring out what it is you want to do. I definitely wish I found it first before Fusion, though Fusion has way more functionalities so far, but looking up the team behind Natron, they're heavy on research and fast with development, it does look like they'll be catching up real fast. Fusion also has a wider user base and more tutorials out there, so I'm nicely conflicted at the moment. Good thing though is that no knowledge is lost, who knows, if I spend more time with Natron, some more concepts on node compositing might be unhinged in my brain which would unlock more things in Fusion and vice versa, sometimes one needs to step sideways to get a better view at things.

Thanks for sharing Milo......Natron is definitely an awesome find, being free and open source not being the only reason why.

Can I asked which tutorial you followed, the one that they had as a demo and the other listed as a tutorial seemed like a demo also under the gallery on the site.

edited December 1969

3drendero said:
    Guerilla Render supports ASCII, binary and compressed RIB.

Can you try to export via Daz Studio?

I was groggy with sleep and not able to remember how to generate a .rib file from Daz Studio, but a quick search on the Daz forum set me right. Unfortunately though, it's not a straightforward process for getting Guerilla to play with the .rib file and there is really no documentation nor tutorial out there for working with .rib in Guerilla. I posted on their forum, hoping someone would stop by to say something definitive about it.

edited December 1969

I have the DS alembic exporter so downloaded this to try too oneday
    it does HD morphs to Octane standalone but animations have to be under 150-200 frames or DS throws an error, be interesting to see how Guerilla renders them.
    OR4C does alembic camera export am not sure if anything else, I combined my DS Dragon 2 HD morphs abc animation with a carrara ocs export in the Octane standalone but could only animate dragon or the camera not both, an octane limitation that guerrilla should not have.

Unfortunately I don't have the DS alembic exporter and would have to wait till whenever I can pick it up before being able to test further for animation. If you have time to test it out though, please remember to share your findings here. It doesn't seem Guerilla would have that limitation because they seem quite confident in their integration of alembic files into their recommended workflow.

edited December 1969

-_Milo_- said:
    -_Milo_- said:
    Natron is an open-source • crossplatform nodal • compositing software

https://natron.inria.fr/ The sample with source looks good

Well, well, I can attest to the fact that Natron is awesome. I spent some time evaluating it yesterday. I watched a couple of demos and just one tutorial video, then I launched the software and poked through everything, and was pleasantly surprised at how intuitive it was compared to Fusion which took me quite some effort and lots of videos to get a hang of it. Now, to be fair, perhaps having broken in on how node compositing works with the help of fusion, I was simply transferring knowledge from Fusion to Natron, all the same, I found myself liking the way Natron's 'logic' seems to make it more straight forward figuring out what it is you want to do. I definitely wish I found it first before Fusion, though Fusion has way more functionalities so far, but looking up the team behind Natron, they're heavy on research and fast with development, it does look like they'll be catching up real fast. Fusion also has a wider user base and more tutorials out there, so I'm nicely conflicted at the moment. Good thing though is that no knowledge is lost, who knows, if I spend more time with Natron, some more concepts on node compositing might be unhinged in my brain which would unlock more things in Fusion and vice versa, sometimes one needs to step sideways to get a better view at things.

Thanks for sharing Milo......Natron is definitely an awesome find, being free and open source not being the only reason why.

Can I asked which tutorial you followed, the one that they had as a demo and the other listed as a tutorial seemed like a demo also under the gallery on the site.

This was the one. Pretty straightforward and helpful. And this one was also helpful. But like I said, I was able to draw a lot from previous experience of how node compositing works in Fusion.

• makmamakma Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

For all the ones interested in PBR materials tweeking there is free application for maps generation. Just put a photo into diffuse slot and start generating normal, specular, roughness, metalness, occlusion and some other maps and effects. It takes time to get to grisp with the app but it gives you for free almost the same input maps for making PBR shaders as Bitmaps2Materials application. Try out! Download here:
    https://github.com/kmkolasinski/AwesomeBump/releases/tag/Winx32v4.0
    Greetings, Marek

• And Hitfilm just had to go and do this! Apparently the trial for the pro version also has no time limit but is limited in the export resolution.

edited July 2015

and for those into DeepDreaming with Google's neural algorithmn

top the result

below original Carrara render

https://dreamscopeapp.com/?filter_name=trippy

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

thats scary good Wendy, the things of bad dreams are made of this ... ;)

• stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited August 2015
    Post edited by stringtheory9 on
  • here is an online photo editor, that looks like it works similiar to photoshop.  I have not had the time to use it but i suspect that you could do plenty with it. https://pixlr.com/editor/

• Thanks for that one, Stringtheory9.

And thanks to everyone else!

I cannot find the thread where JonStark I believe asked about screen capture software

well I discovered a cool way with my new 980ti from nVidia GeForce experience

Shadowplay if Aero is enabled

it does a very nice mp4 screencapture video

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520

Morph3D has released a couple of new Character Creation packs.  A free "lite" version for Male and female

dunno if this will help carrara workflows just found it today in preparation for getting a surface pro 4

if you are familiar with a wacom radial menu you'll know what it is about

http://radialmenu.weebly.com/

if you like dress ups...

not software but interesting reference 

http://www.costumingdiary.com/2010/12/free-historical-costume-patterns.html?m=1

• If you are into GIMP, there is amazing plugin called G'MIC for all kind of fun image processing:

http://gmic.eu/gimp.shtml

smiley

that looks great, thanks FifthElement

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187

stringtheory9 has pointed us to a wonderful BVH retargeting interface called DanceForms, which is free along with a slew of free BVH files to boot!

But wait... that's not all... he's also gone that extra mile to record a screen-capture tutorial for us!

Act now and he also has converted rigs for Generation 4, Genesis, and Genesis 2 figures as well! What a pal!!!

Visit Stringtheory9's thread here

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520

Not software but free none the less.  "Missus" a new poser model at sharecg.   Actually quite good!

thanks dart and propose :)

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Calling all Ozzis - XFrog has a new giveaway, which includes some indegenous Oz trees :)

thanks Roy, :) was it a banksia,  a wattle and a eucalypt?  (sounds like a joke, 'a banksia, a wattle and a euaclypt walk into a bar......  you think at least one of them would have seen it ' ;)  )

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,790

thanks Warra-tah yes

edited December 2015

So I said to the wife "Do you wanna Goanna?". She said "I'll go if Dingos".

"Wattle we do about Nulla?"

"Nullabors me to tears, leave him at home."

sorry for being Austen Tayshus

Post edited by Headwax on
  • She's seen a cockatoo