Riley S5 hair distortion issue

bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm seeing a rather odd issue with the Riley for Stephanie 5 figure. If I apply pretty much any hair to the model, it distorts in the vicinity of the eyes. The problem does not occur with Stephanie 5, or Victoria 5. The attached images show the problem occurring with Pure Hair Nightlife and Chelsea Hair.

This occurs with DAZ Studio 4.5 64-bit on MacOS X 10.8.1. I haven't tested it under other configurations.

Anyone else seeing this, and is there a fix?

Comments

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Select the hair and check for morphs such as Steph 5 and the custom head morphs and dial them down, that should take the distortion from the hair, although you may need to adjust the hair a bit more.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,816
    edited December 1969

If that does fix it, please make a bug report so that QA can check if there's an error - something set to AutoFollow that shouldn't be, for example.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807
    edited December 1969

Select the hair and check for morphs such as Steph 5 ....

Thanks for the suggestion, but the hairs in question don't appear to have any custom morphs for specific characters. Pure Hair Nightlife, for instance, has sets of morphs grouped as Fixes, Style and Movement, but no character-specific morphs. Moreover, none of the morphs seem to have any influence on this distortion.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

On your Parameters tab use the Options menu and make sure "Show Hidden Morphs" is turned on. If the Riley morphs are set to auto-follow then morphs will be created in the hair for them.

edited December 1969

"Show Hidden Properties" revealed a 'Riley' morph under Actor:Female:Real World.

Setting this to 0 changed the shape of the hair slightly, but didn't get rid of the distortion.

There don't seem to be any other Riley morphs injected into the hair that I can see, although there are some Stephanie 5 morphs. Fiddling with those doesn't seem to resolve the distortion issue either.

Thanks for all your help. Is there anything else that I need to know or try before I write this up as a bug report?

riley-morph.jpg
    499 x 344 - 36K
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Would you not need to check Genesis for that hidden morph?

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    Would you not need to check Genesis for that hidden morph?

Would I?

I admit that I didn't even know of the existence of auto-follow or hidden morphs before today, so I'm not exactly an expert, but if I am interpreting fixmypcmike's message correctly, his speculation is that the distortion is being caused by morphs created in the hair model (and then hidden) in order to make it follow the morph-modified Genesis figure.

The Riley morphs appear to be non-hidden in the Genesis figure.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Dial down the Stephanie morph, that's going to affect the morph the morph.. riley is just adjustments to the steph 5, which is why the hair didn't change that much.... don't set it to 0, just enough to get rid of the distortion.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147
    edited December 1969

Select the hair in the scene tab and try zeroing out one or more hidden morphs in the section Actor->Head->Face->Eyes. I had a similar problem with PH Crazy hair on a model that was a modified Riley (other dials spun, too). I changed PHMEyelashesHideLayer from 100% to 0% to solve my problem. I'm attaching photos of the untextured hair, because that makes the distortion and the fix very visible.

Note that I didn't have this problem with this hair on Stephanie 5. The problem showed up on Riley.

Riley_PH_Crazy_hidden_eye_lash_morph_zeroed.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 646K
    Riley.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 638K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,816
    edited December 1969

Select Used, not Actor>Real World>Female, on the left. I suspect the issue is down to an adjustment or correction morph of some kind.

• WiseavatarWiseavatar Posts: 33
    edited December 1969

This looks like the eyelash 2nd layer is hidden.

To do this it collapses the eyelash 2nd layer into the head.

This morph needs to be set to not autofollow as any partially covering the eyes will be effected by it.

I assume only the character mentioned has the morph dialed.

Quick fix would be to locate the morph on the hair and dial it back to 0.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

I seem to remember the Taiga figure had a similar problem but I am unaware if this was ever fixed.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

i was thinking of the Taiga one too.
    The thread is here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3238/
    Has really good info on the fix. Might help the OP with this.