Challenge: Revitalize An Old Prop/Set with Iray

CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Greetings,
I've been seeing a lot of great work being done by adding Iray lights and materials to older props and sets, and I'd like to start a thread dedicated to not just showing off how good older products can look, but hopefully sharing tips about what you did to make them look so nice!

So find the oldest item in your collection that you think you can (or want to!) revitalize with Iray, and build it into a scene! Share the render, and your tips on how you got it there! With thousands of items in the back-catalog, I doubt there'll be much duplication, but even if there is, it'd be wonderful to see multiple takes on how to make an older prop look good!

What's old can be new again, with a fresh coating of modern shaders, lights, and render engines!

-- Morgan

Comments

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited December 1969

Stonemason's Sector 15, with Real Lights for DAZ Studio Iray applied.

sector_15_-3.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

Ostadan said:

I'm curious as to how long it took to set this scene up, using the real lights.

Cheers,

Alex.

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160
    edited December 1969

I also had a crack at that set recently...

gdfgdfg.jpg
    2000 x 1187 - 464K
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,130
    edited December 1969

The oldest things I've tried so far is the Spanish Rose Los Azahares set (SKU 3514 from 2005) - it scrubs up quite well with increased bump, metals and glass shaders (these are with Sun-Sky set to 15:00 on June 6th)
    The third pic is a kitbash I did recently - the oldest parts are Arcade of Janus (2008) and DS Ascension dome (2009) - this time with an Environment Dome (HDRI).

Architecture-01.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 685K
    Los-Azahares-Cam4-SunSky.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 586K
    Los-Azahares-Cam6-SunSky.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 581K
    edited December 1969

Ostadan said:

Cheers,

Alex.

Not very long; one long afternoon, really, and that includes getting the characters to sit so that their feet actually reach the floor. There are only about six surface areas for all the lights ("blue glow", etc). Once I discovered that the blue glow applies to the overhead light fixtures, and that they were sufficient on their own to light the scene, there wasn't much else to do but get the brightnesses to the right levels. I could have done better on that, frankly, but it turned out OK, I think.

By the way, the uniforms on the characters are also Stonemason (as Streetwear), and autofit very well to G2M even though it is a G2F clothing item, which makes it worth its weight in chocolate.

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473
    edited December 1969

Another Stonemason’s Sector 15. About 5 minutes to set-up and 10 to render.

NeonP4.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 960K
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

Ostadan said:
    Ostadan said:

Cheers,

Alex.

Not very long; one long afternoon, really, and that includes getting the characters to sit so that their feet actually reach the floor. There are only about six surface areas for all the lights ("blue glow", etc). Once I discovered that the blue glow applies to the overhead light fixtures, and that they were sufficient on their own to light the scene, there wasn't much else to do but get the brightnesses to the right levels. I could have done better on that, frankly, but it turned out OK, I think.

By the way, the uniforms on the characters are also Stonemason (as Streetwear), and autofit very well to G2M even though it is a G2F clothing item, which makes it worth its weight in chocolate.

"One long afternoon". That's about what I thought it would take. It's very impressive.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Nyghtfall3DNyghtfall3D Posts: 757
    edited December 1969

For anyone who missed my recent entry in the "Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part III" thread, this is Baroque Grandeur, and my first Iray render.

The light bulbs are Emission shaders. Every other surface is straight from the Iray uber base. There's a plane primitive above and to the right of the camera adding fill light to the foreground. Render time was about 45 minutes.

My Specs: 3.5 GHz Core i7, 32 GB RAM, 6 GB Geforce GTX 780

Baroque_Grandeur.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 343K
  • aaron575aaron575 Posts: 146
    edited December 1969

DzFire™ said:
    Another Stonemason’s Sector 15. About 5 minutes to set-up and 10 to render.
    Looks awesome, love that new light set of yours.
    edited December 1969

Another one of Stonemason's older sets. Kept the same Poser mats in place, just added the light shaders

NeonP10.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 985K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Level 19 and the Mech2012

Mech_Lab.jpg
    1006 x 754 - 661K
  • AlexLOAlexLO Posts: 193
    edited December 1969

Of course we can't forget Streets of The Mediterranean. (Get ready for the wave of Stonemason & Jack Tomalin set renders LOL)

mediterranean_male02_iray_050715.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...yup.

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,653
    edited December 1969

Here is L'Orangerie and some plants, Lisa's and Plantz. The lighting is Skies of Tierra sunset HDR (exr.)

Some beautiful renders here. Great thread! I love playing with Iray with new textures and great lighting!

orangerie_2.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 290K
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,653
    edited June 2015

Robowasp. Just various metal and glass shaders and a free HDR (from Dutch Skies) for lighting.

robowasp_iray.jpg
    1385 x 1385 - 662K
    Post edited by luci45 on
    edited December 1969

Luci45 said:
    Here is L'Orangerie and some plants, Lisa's and Plantz. The lighting is Skies of Tierra sunset HDR (exr.)

Some beautiful renders here. Great thread! I love playing with Iray with new textures and great lighting!

Beautiful render, just the right amount of light.
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,121
    edited December 1969

How is everyone getting these nice monitor screen glows? All I get is a pure white monitor screen. I can't see the original monitor display. I selected the monitor screen surface and Control-Clicked the Monitor Screen light and chose to apply to selected and ignore maps. I tried several models, including Dystopia Console. The rest of the scene renders OK, but where I applied the Monitor Screen light, it is pure white. I tried turning down the luminance in the emission section, but then it just gets gray instead of white. I tried Dome and Scene. I tried Scene Only. I'm using DS 4.8.0.56 Beta. What trick am I missing?

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    How is everyone getting these nice monitor screen glows? All I get is a pure white monitor screen. I can't see the original monitor display. I selected the monitor screen surface and Control-Clicked the Monitor Screen light and chose to apply to selected and ignore maps. I tried several models, including Dystopia Console. The rest of the scene renders OK, but where I applied the Monitor Screen light, it is pure white. I tried turning down the luminance in the emission section, but then it just gets gray instead of white. I tried Dome and Scene. I tried Scene Only. I'm using DS 4.8.0.56 Beta. What trick am I missing?
    What has been working for me is to plug the diffuse map into the the Emission Color and Luminance channels and then adjusting the Luminance to suit the scene.
    edited December 1969

aaron575 said:
    barbult said:
    What has been working for me is to plug the diffuse map into the the Emission Color and Luminance channels and then adjusting the Luminance to suit the scene.Thank you so much! I'll give that a try. It would have been nice to have info like that in the product readme. It would have saved a lot of frustration.
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    aaron575 said:
    barbult said:
    What has been working for me is to plug the diffuse map into the the Emission Color and Luminance channels and then adjusting the Luminance to suit the scene.
    Thank you so much! I'll give that a try. It would have been nice to have info like that in the product readme. It would have saved a lot of frustration.You're welcome. Hope it works out for you.:-)
    edited December 1969

aaron575, that worked great!
    Here is my Iray Dystopia Console. I used the Real Lights on the monitors, keyboards, and LEDs. I used aaron575's tip for the monitor screen and keyboards. I turned the luminance down on the keyboards so they looked like they were backlit. I applied metals to the metal appearing surfaces. I used plastic shaders on the wires and trackball. I used carbon fiber on the speakers.

Dystopia_Console_Iray.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 1M
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    aaron575, that worked great!
    Here is my Iray Dystopia Console. I used the Real Lights on the monitors, keyboards, and LEDs. I used aaron575's tip for the monitor screen and keyboards. I turned the luminance down on the keyboards so they looked like they were backlit. I applied metals to the metal appearing surfaces. I used plastic shaders on the wires and trackball. I used carbon fiber on the speakers.
    This came out great, really enjoying working with Iray even though, as you said, it can be really frustrating at times.
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

nice renders everyone, I used old Wyvern I purchased in 2005 SKU 3152
    Splash and water model created with Zbrush

Wyvern_fishing_iray_2015.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 795K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886
    edited December 1969

Is there any easy way to sort content by product age?

I only started with Daz a few months ago, so it's not obvious to me which stuff had the lowest product id...

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

Maybe the lowest SKU ? I have products like from 15 years back or more before DAZ was formed

Is there any easy way to sort content by product age?

I only started with Daz a few months ago, so it's not obvious to me which stuff had the lowest product id...

edited December 1969

Is there an easy and non-infringing way for people to package their material settings for distribution on sharecg or wherever? It seems that a spontaneous group-sourcing effort for Iray-ifying older products will be useful for many, and will enhance DAZ product value.

edited December 1969

Ostadan said:
    Is there an easy and non-infringing way for people to package their material settings for distribution on sharecg or wherever? It seems that a spontaneous group-sourcing effort for Iray-ifying older products will be useful for many, and will enhance DAZ product value.

There is, as a DUF file but you won't be able to share any commercial material settings use in the scene.

• NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited June 2015

I was messing around with a Curious Hallway last week, this is the first version I did.

I used the emissive preset on the candles and also on a primitive plane shining in through the back door, with just a touch of the bloom filter.
    For the candles and doorknobs I used the copper metal shader. Everything else was Ctrl-Clicked with either Iray Uber or Architectural.
    V4 was thrown in as an after thought, I didn't change her materials at all, but I did use the fabric shader on her dress, adjusting the H & V Tiling to look plausible.

I started another version where I completely changed out the materials, and from the few tests I ran that ones going to look better.

image.jpg
    1524 x 858 - 225K
    Post edited by NoName99 on
  • bsettbsett Posts: 74
    edited December 1969

I've been using the DAZ Dream House.

Morning_Coffee.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited June 2015

,,r.eally been wanting to post something, however, the weather here has been in the 90s the last several days and it doesn't look to cool down (back into the 70s) until the beginning of next week.

Post edited by kyoto kid on